saltygator

Rod brand recommendations

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I promise this is the last tackle advice post I'm making in a while! I was asking advice on reels and I didn't expect to buy anything yet but I managed to get nearly new 10k Stella SW for about $400 this past weekend. Now I'm looking for a 10'-10'6 surf rod I can pair with it. I'll likely put 40# braid on the Stella and I'll be throwing lures between 1-3 oz. I'm fairly new to surf fishing lures so I don't know exactly how the rods feel.

I need a rod that can throw light lures but still has some backbone to land 100lb+ tarpon down here in Florida. Do you guys have any recommendations? I'm looking to buy it used as well. I have my eyes on a Century Stealth 1-4 10'6 rod in the BST and there's a CTS S8 1-4 I've found used for $250 but I'm afraid the action is too fast and not friendly to beginners. Do you guys have any other rod recommendations? Surf fishing isn't big down here so it's hard to find a store that carries them so I can't try stuff out either 

Those are about as polar opposite of rods as you can possibly get!  

I think a Stella 10k will feel very out of place on a 10' Stealth, personally.  

Stealth is a very parabolic, thin, slow actioned rod that excels at throwing light weight lures and un-weighted rubber.  I'd go with a 5k/6k size Shimano on this rod.  

S8 is stiff, very fast actioned rod that excels at throwing tins and other aerodynamic lures very far.  

I am not overly familiar with tarpon fishing, so I'm hesitant to make any suggestions, but I am struggling to even think of a rod that fits your criteria that a 10k Stella would be at home on.  Just out of curiosity, why such a big reel?  Just because it was a good deal?  

Good luck!  I will be interested to hear other's thoughts on this as well.  

Agree with everything said above.  You are planning on making repeated casts with a 10k sized spinning reel?  A 10k Stella would be a beast from a boat, but I woulnd't want to cast that all day long. 

A 9' Tsunami Airwave would get the job done throwing 1-4oz from the surf, but you should scale down your reel to a 4k-6k.  I throw 2 oz lures with a Penn Conflict 4000 paired to an 8' Offshore Angler Powerstick with no issues. 

You could put your Stella on a 13' CTS 1305 and it might feel at home.

4 hours ago, TLap21 said:

Those are about as polar opposite of rods as you can possibly get!  

I think a Stella 10k will feel very out of place on a 10' Stealth, personally.  

Stealth is a very parabolic, thin, slow actioned rod that excels at throwing light weight lures and un-weighted rubber.  I'd go with a 5k/6k size Shimano on this rod.  

S8 is stiff, very fast actioned rod that excels at throwing tins and other aerodynamic lures very far.  

I am not overly familiar with tarpon fishing, so I'm hesitant to make any suggestions, but I am struggling to even think of a rod that fits your criteria that a 10k Stella would be at home on.  Just out of curiosity, why such a big reel?  Just because it was a good deal?  

Good luck!  I will be interested to hear other's thoughts on this as well.  

1 hour ago, animalbarrie said:

Agree with everything said above.  You are planning on making repeated casts with a 10k sized spinning reel?  A 10k Stella would be a beast from a boat, but I woulnd't want to cast that all day long. 

A 9' Tsunami Airwave would get the job done throwing 1-4oz from the surf, but you should scale down your reel to a 4k-6k.  I throw 2 oz lures with a Penn Conflict 4000 paired to an 8' Offshore Angler Powerstick with no issues. 

You could put your Stella on a 13' CTS 1305 and it might feel at home.

I know, it sounds crazy and took me a bit to come to terms with the idea of throwing a huge 10k reel in the surf. The main reason why is line capacity though. With 40# braid I can probably get 400+ yards on the reel, if I opt for 50# braid then I'll still be able to get around 350 yds. Any Daiwa, VS, Penn reel that is able to hold a comparable amount of line is all around the same weight range. 

Fishing for tarpon from surf or any shore method usually requires a really big spool to slowly work them in or else they'll dump you on their initial run. Especially during these next few months where big pods come in to feed during the bait migrations, you never know if you'll bring in a 50lb tarpon or 150lb. 

I appreciate the responses, I did a little more research and I think I want a more parabolic rod for an easier time casting and I'm mostly throwing things around 1-2 oz. My only concern with these more moderate rods (e.g the Stealth) is if the rod is strong enough to pressure a 100+ lb fish or should I look at something stiffer?

I just spent the last half-hour watching Tarpon videos!  Can I come with you?! :laugh:

If you're set on the Stealth series, I'd take a look at the S2, rather than the S1.  I would bet the S1 would be fairly under-gunned.  

The SS1265 would be even better, imo.  

15 mins ago, TLap21 said:

I just spent the last half-hour watching Tarpon videos!  Can I come with you?! :laugh:

If you're set on the Stealth series, I'd take a look at the S2, rather than the S1.  I would bet the S1 would be fairly under-gunned.  

The SS1265 would be even better, imo.  

LOL the videos on them are awesome, I think they make it seem way easier than it is..

I'm not set on the stealth yet but the SS1265 would be ideal! Have you used it before? I'm just waiting on a used one to pop up maybe but if it doesn't come around I might go for it. Do you know of any similar rods that you'd recommend? Especially at lower price points, I think the most I wanted to spend was around $350.

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 7/15/2019 at 5:22 PM, saltygator said:

I promise this is the last tackle advice post I'm making in a while! I was asking advice on reels and I didn't expect to buy anything yet but I managed to get nearly new 10k Stella SW for about $400 this past weekend. Now I'm looking for a 10'-10'6 surf rod I can pair with it. I'll likely put 40# braid on the Stella and I'll be throwing lures between 1-3 oz. I'm fairly new to surf fishing lures so I don't know exactly how the rods feel.

I need a rod that can throw light lures but still has some backbone to land 100lb+ tarpon down here in Florida. Do you guys have any recommendations? I'm looking to buy it used as well. I have my eyes on a Century Stealth 1-4 10'6 rod in the BST and there's a CTS S8 1-4 I've found used for $250 but I'm afraid the action is too fast and not friendly to beginners. Do you guys have any other rod recommendations? Surf fishing isn't big down here so it's hard to find a store that carries them so I can't try stuff out either 

If you can find them at the price your looking for my 1st choice would be the Century 10' Surf Machine 3/4 to 4 oz. It casts a Mile and has tons of power. Option 2 would be the Sling Shot 1265. All the Sling Shots are being run with graphene so its adding a whole new dimension to this line. The 1265 with throw the range your looking for with great distance and has lots of power,  plus the graphene is giving you a ton more durability. 

Both of these would be great options. 

Both are very easy to cast. With a Century less is more during your cast. Saves your shoulders and adds time to your fishing time.

Edited by AFMike

5 hours ago, AFMike said:

If you can find them at the price your looking for my 1st choice would be the Century 10' Surf Machine 3/4 to 4 oz. It casts a Mile and has tons of power. Option 2 would be the Sling Shot 1265. All the Sling Shots are being run with graphene so its adding a whole new dimension to this line. The 1265 with throw the range your looking for with great distance and has lots of power,  plus the graphene is giving you a ton more durability. 

Both of these would be great options. 

Both are very easy to cast. With a Century less is more during your cast. Saves your shoulders and adds time to your fishing time.

Thanks for the suggestion Mike! How is the action on the surf machine? I haven’t really looked into it since the retail is out of my price range but I’ll keep an eye out for a used one

Definitely flip that reel for something smaller. Saragosa 6000 or slammer 6500 is more than plenty for 100lb class tarpon. I’m pretty sure there’s a few shops in Florida that carry ODM now. Unless your hellbent on century I’d save your money. An 11ft 2-6 genesis would be more than enough rod for what your trying to do. I’ve seen monster tarpon caught on the nex 1 9ft blank 1-5oz. 

Seems like a 10,000 size would be better suited for chunking.  I use a 5500  Ultegra for 3 oz metals and poppers.  Nice price on the Stella BTW

i have a Century 1505, 12’6” which is fantastic 1 to 4 rated plugging rod

Edited by Birdsnester

2 hours ago, MikedNJ said:

Definitely flip that reel for something smaller. Saragosa 6000 or slammer 6500 is more than plenty for 100lb class tarpon. I’m pretty sure there’s a few shops in Florida that carry ODM now. Unless your hellbent on century I’d save your money. An 11ft 2-6 genesis would be more than enough rod for what your trying to do. I’ve seen monster tarpon caught on the nex 1 9ft blank 1-5oz. 

I couldn’t fit 300 yards of 30# braid on a 6000 saragosa so that’s why I got rid of it. A slammer 6500 weighs about the same as the Stella so I can’t save any weight there. I would love a smaller sized reel but anything that has as much line capacity as I’m looking for will weigh at least 20 oz

I’ll check out ODM though! 

Edit: Van Staals might weigh less and give me like capacity but that’s about it. Haven’t found a good deal on a used one recently though 

Edited by saltygator

On 7/16/2019 at 3:21 PM, saltygator said:

I know, it sounds crazy and took me a bit to come to terms with the idea of throwing a huge 10k reel in the surf. The main reason why is line capacity though. With 40# braid I can probably get 400+ yards on the reel, if I opt for 50# braid then I'll still be able to get around 350 yds. Any Daiwa, VS, Penn reel that is able to hold a comparable amount of line is all around the same weight range. 

Fishing for tarpon from surf or any shore method usually requires a really big spool to slowly work them in or else they'll dump you on their initial run. Especially during these next few months where big pods come in to feed during the bait migrations, you never know if you'll bring in a 50lb tarpon or 150lb. 

I appreciate the responses, I did a little more research and I think I want a more parabolic rod for an easier time casting and I'm mostly throwing things around 1-2 oz. My only concern with these more moderate rods (e.g the Stealth) is if the rod is strong enough to pressure a 100+ lb fish or should I look at something stiffer?

I told you to get a Torque 5, Local66 told you he fishes a Torque 5, I have two of them, with 400yd 40# on each. You bought a boat reel to fish the surf, ignoring the advice of the guy who fishes for tarpon from the beach. Why should anyone bother trying to advise you now?

Go back to your reel question, find Local 66's recommendations and go with them.

25 mins ago, RockRonin said:

I told you to get a Torque 5, Local66 told you he fishes a Torque 5, I have two of them, with 400yd 40# on each. You bought a boat reel to fish the surf, ignoring the advice of the guy who fishes for tarpon from the beach. Why should anyone bother trying to advise you now?

Go back to your reel question, find Local 66's recommendations and go with them.

I absolutely considered you guy's suggestions, I even messaged Local66 to ask him a bunch of other questions. Like I mentioned before, it was just a good deal on the reel so I went for it. I spent a good amount of time searching through tons of marketplaces, auction sites, and locally for a Torque but it didn't really come up. So I went with the Stella that was 60% off MSRP; comparing numbers it weighs about 5 oz more and probably a little less durable. Maybe I'll consider selling the Stella if I find that it absolutely can't do the job but for now I want to give it a try