Sixguns

Manasquan Reservoir Tips/Advice

15 posts in this topic

Hitting Manasquan tomorrow morning. Been a very long time. 

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Bringing a friend out for the first time. 

I fish there a lot. Lots of species, lots of fish and lots of big fish. Very difficult to locate the big fish. You can size down and catch all of the crappie, yellow perch and white perch that you want. It can get very windy there too.  They have timber, grass, rocks... whatever you want.

I was catching a lot of smallmouth but that has slowed down as the water temps rose

Do you have to pay to launch/park/etc?  How is the fishing this time of year?  Im off friday looking for somewhere freshwater to fish was going to try assupink.

18 hours ago, gobigblue said:

Do you have to pay to launch/park/etc?  How is the fishing this time of year?  Im off friday looking for somewhere freshwater to fish was going to try assupink.

Yes.. it is $7 to launch. The reality is that they barely check to see if you came into the office to pay. Fishing for largemouth and smallmouth has been slow over the past few weeks. All of the crappie and perch that you can handle.

Posted (edited) · Report post

9 mins ago, EricJ said:

Yes.. it is $7 to launch. The reality is that they barely check to see if you came into the office to pay. Fishing for largemouth and smallmouth has been slow over the past few weeks. All of the crappie and perch that you can handle.

Im thinking about assupink now instead.   Need to be home by 3 so i want to be driving north on the way back instead of south.  Reading about the rangers at squan turned me off totally especially since i want to give my t24 motor with pwm a workout and im not "legal"

Edited by gobigblue

9 mins ago, gobigblue said:

Im thinking about assupink now instead.   Need to be home by 3 so i want to be driving north on the way back instead of south.  Reading about the rangers at squan turned me off totally especially since i want to give my t24 motor with pwm a workout and im not "legal"

you should have no issues at all with a trolling motor. They want props removed from gas motors.

3 hours ago, EricJ said:

you should have no issues at all with a trolling motor. They want props removed from gas motors.

Ok thanks.  Which lake would be less muddy tomorrow after all this rain?  I fished shadow lake a few weeks ago after a storm and it was yoohoo consistency.  Trying to knock off all the old mon cty spots from 30 years ago.  Molders might be next.

2 hours ago, gobigblue said:

Ok thanks.  Which lake would be less muddy tomorrow after all this rain?  I fished shadow lake a few weeks ago after a storm and it was yoohoo consistency.  Trying to knock off all the old mon cty spots from 30 years ago.  Molders might be next.

Manasquan Reservoir should be much less muddy than anything else in the area. In some places, it is over 30 feet deep.

I am thinking about going there in the morning as well.

Round valley may be the cleanest water I have ever seen . Like a swimming pool.  Manasquan reservoir has many rules. Also very vigilant rangers.   How did you make out at the reservoir  Mark?

On 7/15/2019 at 3:12 PM, Sixguns said:

Hitting Manasquan tomorrow morning. Been a very long time. 

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Bringing a friend out for the first time. 

you never reported back to tell us how you did..

20 hours ago, gobigblue said:

I haven't kayaked the reservoir but Assunpink imop is not a lot of fun on the weekends.  Every time I go there is a tournament.  If you get out before it begins you have a shot.  However once it starts and boats are hitting every corner of the lake and by the time you get there those fish have seen every offering under the sun and go into shutdown mode.  My experience anyway.

Well it wasn’t the best day. My friend wanted to rent a boat with a motor instead. Not paddling in the heat was nice but not having a depth finder kinda sucked. The ranger said the fishing was slow recently due to the excessive heat and any fish that was caught was with bait near the ledges but no depth finder made it a bit difficult to find the ledges.

So, a lot of bluegills but nothing else. 

3 hours ago, fishless said:

I haven't kayaked the reservoir but Assunpink imop is not a lot of fun on the weekends.  Every time I go there is a tournament.  If you get out before it begins you have a shot.  However once it starts and boats are hitting every corner of the lake and by the time you get there those fish have seen every offering under the sun and go into shutdown mode.  My experience anyway.

Its my 1st time back in probably 25 years.  SO much smaller than i remember.  Its also lost all of its rugged charm with the paved roads and fancy boat ramp which also has more parking than my town's train station FFS. You mon cty guys have it made the parks and rec and golf depts must have an unlimited budget. 

There were a few guys out in their bass boats, i cant believe they have tournaments on assupink theres entire acres of unfishable water like 1 feet deep all over the place.  I dont think i ever saw anything >18' with all the rain this spring and summer it cant be from low water?  Anyway ive ruined this poor guy's squan reservoir thread, next up lake marlu.  The only spot id like to hit after that is probably way off limits, i know it was kind of off limit in the early 90s but you could sneak canoes in behind thompson park and fish as long as no one saw you.  Now id probably go right to jail