BillZ

Sun Glare

14 posts in this topic

Local news here on L.I. has a bigger boat hitting a smaller boat due to sun glare... Us kayakers are even less visible, watch out when the suns at your back.

MORICHES, N.Y. Two people were rescued after two boats collided off Long Island on Saturday.

It happened around 7:15 p.m. in Moriches Inlet.

boat-crash.jpg?w=420&h=236

Two people were rescued after two boats collided off Long Island on July 13, 2019. (Credit: Suffolk County Police Department)

Suffolk County officials say marine bureau officers were sent to the area for a call about a boat in distress.

According to police, a 34-foot Cabo boat crashed into a 16-foot center console HSX boat. The driver and passenger of the HSX jumped into the water right before the crash.

The officers found the man and woman in the water and pulled them to safety. Both were taken to a local medical center for treatment. Their injuries are not life-threatening.

The operator of the Cabo told officers he did not see the smaller boat due to sun glare. He and his three passengers were not injured in the crash.

The Cabo operator had a choice: slow down when heading into the sun where he was blinded (so he said), or just keep going at speed. Obviously he chose the latter. Another thing bothers me, he didn't pick up the people who dove overboard before he hit them, and just left them bobbing in the water till the cops came?

6 mins ago, ermghoti said:

Yup, sounds like an excuse cooked up after the fact.

Possibly, but don't underestimate simple incompetence and obliviousness. How many people do you see driving around in rain or snow without altering their driving habits by slowing down and leaving more space? "He just appeared out of nowhere officer!!!" 

2 mins ago, ermghoti said:

Sure, but obliviousness and incompetence is a different explanation than sun glare, no?

Is it? Sun glare is a natural phenomenon that diminishes visibility, how you react to it is what's relevant. Would "it was dark out" be an acceptable explanation for running someone over at high speed?

What I mean is, if one is being oblivious and runs over a kayaker, and then claims there was sun glare, it's different than if one disregards reasonable precautions associated with sun glare, and then runs over a kayaker. Not really a meaningful distinction, I suppose, particularly to the kayaker. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I’d bet that distraction was at least as much of an issue as the sun.  It’s just hard to say that out loud to the police.

Edited by LSP552

Driving a car, heading east in the morning and sun in the face...

1) slow down

2) YOLO and floor it

3) YOLO and keep as it is...

option two two and three, any accident would be driver error, no?

6 hours ago, gellfex said:

The Cabo operator had a choice: slow down when heading into the sun where he was blinded (so he said), or just keep going at speed. Obviously he chose the latter. Another thing bothers me, he didn't pick up the people who dove overboard before he hit them, and just left them bobbing in the water till the cops came?

Good point.......i missed that little detail.

I was fluking the backside of that area Sunday @ sun up,  it was me & 3 motor boats drifting, nobody else around.... by the time the tide turned around (8ish) i was done there ... i felt like a squirrel trying to cross the road just getting back across the channel .

So as far as speed .... nobody said how fast the cabo was going... 

That center console he hit is still floating with arguably minimum damage.

Imo,  if that cabo was under speed that little center console most likely would have been cut in two..... that's a pretty big,  heavy boat to stop on a dime. 

46 mins ago, BillZ said:

So as far as speed .... nobody said how fast the cabo was going... 

That center console he hit is still floating with arguably minimum damage.

Imo,  if that cabo was under speed that little center console most likely would have been cut in two..... that's a pretty big,  heavy boat to stop on a dime. 

Spotted him at the last second and throttled down? If he wasn't going fast I don't see how he could avoid spotting the boat in time.

11 hours ago, gellfex said:

Spotted him at the last second and throttled down? If he wasn't going fast I don't see how he could avoid spotting the boat in time.

I guess anyone can create a scenario on what makes the most sense.... we may never know :why: