stormy monday

Orvis Recon 7'11"

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Hi,

Re: the title, I was up at the Orvis outlet in Freeport and they had this 7/11 Orvis recon 10 weight for sale for $299. I'm not familiar with the rod but it seems like a decent price. What I don't know is what should the expectation be casting such a short rod in a 10 weight? If I grab one it would be for backcountry poons, floating line. Thoughts?

jc

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have Recon 7'11" #10 and I like it more than any other "salt water rod" except Helios 9ft #10 which is so good that I use it only for distance competing.

Generally if the same normal head WF line is cast using hauling using 9ft and 7'11" rods there comes so small difference to casting distance that it is almost impossible to find out when casting outdoors when wind often has more effect. But casting feels lighter using shorter rod. Only when line head is longer the longer rod begins to have small advantage and when casting to tail wind but when head wind casting shorter rod should be better. I have cast 400...450gr line heads using Recon so I line it as 11wt. Recon CCS: IP222g, ERN=10,6, AA70 and weight 107,7g (3.80oz). For comparison my Helios: IP222g, ERN 10,6, AA72 so they are very alike but Helios is very light 9ft rod only 98,0g (3.45oz).

When I did cast SA MED WF5F line which we cast in competition there came about five feet difference which would come smaller if I cast Recon more.

Esa

Edited by crunch

45 mins ago, crunch said:

I have Recon 7'11" #10 and I like it more than any other "salt water rod" except Helios 9ft #10 which is so good that I use it only for distance competing.

Generally if the same normal head WF line is cast using hauling using 9ft and 7'11" rods there comes so small difference to casting distance that it is almost impossible to find out when casting outdoors when wind often has more effect. But casting feels lighter using shorter rod. Only when line head is longer the longer rod begins to have small advantage and when casting to tail wind but when head wind casting shorter rod should be better. I have cast 400...450gr line heads using Recon so I line it as 11wt. Recon CCS: IP222g, ERN=10,6, AA70 and weight 107,7g (3.80oz). For comparison my Helios: IP222g, ERN 10,6, AA72 so they are very alike but Helios is very light 9ft rod only 98,0g (3.45oz).

When I did cast SA MED WF5F line which we cast in competition there came about five feet difference which would come smaller if I cast Recon more.

Esa

Thanks - that's pretty much exactly what I wanted to know! I'll be back up there soon, think I'll pick one up. I usually throw a traditional 40' head line on my rods, I'll start with that, try the old 11 weight floter I have downstairs and see where that takes me...

2 hours ago, stormy monday said:

Thanks - that's pretty much exactly what I wanted to know! I'll be back up there soon, think I'll pick one up. I usually throw a traditional 40' head line on my rods, I'll start with that, try the old 11 weight floter I have downstairs and see where that takes me...

If it has outlet written on the blank it has no warranty. Owner pays actual repair cost, roughly $150 per section

3 hours ago, chicky said:

If it has outlet written on the blank it has no warranty. Owner pays actual repair cost, roughly $150 per section

Good to know - thanks! I've been on a bit of a rod breaking run lately ugh!

I had a client (who is an Orvis employee with access to their whole line) use it on an albie trip last year, and he was raving about it. I think I have a video of him casting and fighting an albie on it as well, if you want to see a third person look at how it acts. Then another mutual friend bought one and he hasn't put it down yet. I cast it as well and it felt like a great rod and loaded nice and easy at short range. I think they had one in the used rod rack at Concord Outfitters last time I looked as well.

They no longer make the 10wt and have a 9wt available.  @crunch any thoughts on how to line that 9wt rod?  Would be using sinking like like Rio Outbound S6/I or maybe the InTouch Striper 30ft Sink Tip.  Just wondering what you think the grain sweet spot is on the 9wt vs 10wt

I am picking it up because I need a short rod for boat fishing and a few other scenarios that I don't fish often, but do occasionally.  My Gloomis 9wt has been out for repair for weeks and I don't want to miss season with no rod at this point because its taking forever to repair.  Never had issues before and in GLoomis defense this will be the 6th time they repair my rod so its been a good warranty overall.

Edited by The Graveyard Shift

I like 400...450gr heads on my 7'11" #10 Recon which means I overline by about #1. But it is very easy to cast short length of line because its swing weight is low. I have measured all my rod stiffnesses and it seems like Orvis does best when rating their rods.

I did not know there is short #9 Recon. Perhaps it is 9ft?

Esa

2 hours ago, crunch said:

I like 400...450gr heads on my 7'11" #10 Recon which means I overline by about #1. But it is very easy to cast short length of line because its swing weight is low. I have measured all my rod stiffnesses and it seems like Orvis does best when rating their rods.

I did not know there is short #9 Recon. Perhaps it is 9ft?

Esa

7' 11" 9 weight Orvis Recon.  I got it at a steal with full warranty.  Trying to figure out how to line it.  350-400 grains maybe?

Edited by The Graveyard Shift

On 7/15/2019 at 5:37 PM, chicky said:

I may be wrong but I thought I saw the same rod on their website for the same price.  They may just be doing away with it due to a lack of sales.  I just picked up a 9ft 9wt in dedham at regular price so it's def not a sale on all of them.

On 7/29/2019 at 3:53 PM, The Graveyard Shift said:

7' 11" 9 weight Orvis Recon.  I got it at a steal with full warranty.  Trying to figure out how to line it.  350-400 grains maybe?