Gwiz

Bluefin in Canal

Rate this topic

93 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

If you have a permit and vessel you should be good even if its from shore

Agree on this. 

The EPOs rarely do anything about the thousands of stripers poached in the canal.  Do you guys actually think that they will care if someone lands a tuna and keeps it. The chances of them caring are as low as the possibility of landing one. 

11 hours ago, D1fishr said:

Agree on this. 

Absolutely wrong. As I said before the boat is issued the permit and it only allows fishing from that particular boat. Go look it up or call GARFO in Gloucester.

20 mins ago, MakoMike said:

Absolutely wrong. As I said before the boat is issued the permit and it only allows fishing from that particular boat. Go look it up or call GARFO in Gloucester.

Have to agree with Mike on this one. Bluefin regulations are extremely strict

Posted (edited) · Report post

take the tuna, enjoy the sushi, who cares if its illegal.  only way you'd land a bluefin in the canal is if its dead when you real it in.  you'll never revive that, might as well enjoy it.  theres not enough opportunities to target them or chances to land them in a lifetime down there to complain about not respecting a resource - it's a one in a million shot.  in saying that, i'm not risking getting spooled or having a broken rod as the result of casting to one, so I wouldn't be the one paying the fine, as long as you understand the risk

Edited by aglenn

Fine for illegal harvest of a bluefin tuna?

$15,000

(Plus another grand for littering of carcass in woods)

Grand total: $16,000

Screenshot_20190716-133203_Chrome.jpg.9bd6b26d7074b6c7e9e95cb813fee42d.jpg

can be big fish and big money.  price per pound is basically nothing right now but could (someday?) be $10 again.  400lbs at $10 =$4,000... if the potential fine for illegal harvest was only $1,000, it’d just be the “cost of doing business” to some...

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 mins ago, DEM Parking Lot said:

Do Bonito & Albies fall under this federal law for tuna?

Q:Do I need a recreational permit to fish for or land tunas, sharks, swordfish, and/or billfish?

A:Yes, vessel owners/operators who recreationally fish for or retain regulated Atlantic tunas (bluefin, yellowfin, bigeye, albacore, and skipjack), sharks, swordfish, and billfish in Atlantic Federal waters, including the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean Sea, must obtain an HMS Angling category permit or a HMS Charter/Headboat permit. However, General category vessels may fish recreationally for HMS so long as they are participating in a registered recreational HMS tournament and fishing under tournament rules. Vessels fishing exclusively in state waters are required to obtain the HMS Angling permit if they wish to keep their regulated tunas (bluefin, yellowfin, bigeye, skipjack, and albacore). Vessel owners/operators should check their state regulations regarding the retention of sharks, swordfish, and/or billfish in state waters. Permit holders who recreationally fish for or retain sharks must also obtain a Shark Endorsement on their HMS permit.

albies and bonito are not “regulated”

Edited by nicknotsebastian