Small stream 4 weight

Rate this topic

JohnP

On 7/16/2019 at 9:50 AM, JohnP said:

Ha ha

ive already thought about knee pads for the waders so I can crawl more and keep a low profile. 

87D3D1F6-821D-4DD6-946F-E393C7611158.jpeg

I fish with a older experienced angler from our  Fly Tye club . On small brook trout streams his stealthy crawl along NJ / NY waters  ( knee pads like the ones that go over your knees ) produces an amazing amount of Native Brook trout . At times I struggle to keep up with him and it’s not the catching part . 

If it has fins i want to catch it 

My favorite for small streams, especially brushy ones is a 7.5' 3wt. Given casts are generally shorter than fly line head length, I overline to a WF4F or DT4F. This makes the rod roll cast nicely and helps load it in closer.

There are too many good rods in this size range to list ( and I own "more than a few" of them but Iwouldoffer that thiskind offishingcan be tough on/hazerdous to a rod. i.e. Consider if your OK brush busting with a $500 rod before buying.

All that said, the Smallstream rod that I fish the most is my Maxcatch Ultralight 7' 6" 3wt. Cost is only like $50 and they fish beautifully in these conditions.  (No kidding.) Add another $60 and get a fully machined diskdrag (Avid) reel and line to go with it  .Great set-ups for short money (if your not into playing the name game.)

On 7/15/2019 at 9:40 AM, Dave S said:

Same here- 

Love my 3wt.   :th:

763 or 804

Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.

If you are into overhead brush and branches you might consider the breakage issue. I use a 6 1/2 foot glass rod for that reason. Graphite is a bit less forgiving. Mine is a Diamondback #2. I also have a 7' graphite #3 but in really tight situations the glass rod will always be my choice and it roll casts like a dream over smallish distances.

18 hours ago, Ab4usa said:

This may seem a bit off the wall, but my favorite small stream rod is a 7 1/2 foot Orvis Battenkill Bamboo.  They made so many of these that they can often be found for less that $500 and fishing bamboo has a great feel.

i have a wes jordan bamboo fly rod. prestine condition including the rod sock and tube. im to scared to take it out and use it. 

When I bought my first bamboo rod I had some coaching from a dealer in collectable rods.  He told me that Orvis Battenkill rods were made to fish streamers in the morning, nymphs in the afternoon and drys in the early evening.  They were this used to beat rugs!.. They are amazingly tough.  Wes Jordan was one of Orvis most famous builders.  Take it out and give it a go!

I agree, use that rod.  I have a couple of Orvis bamboo that I started using again not long ago, and they fish so nice it's a shame to just let them sit in the cabinet.  If worse comes to worst, Orvis can fix it if you break it.

"If you think fly fishermen are strange, try having a conversation with a mushroom picker."

John Gierach