JohnP

Small stream 4 weight

Rate this topic

42 posts in this topic

This year really got into small stream stealth fishing 

I will be doing much more later in the year and next

ill also be getting a proper rod

i have an 8.6 5 wt but need to scale down a bit. I catch too many branches and branch trout don’t fight much 

in thinking it will be a 4 wt bet 7 and 8 ft 

what are are your favorite rods for this?

i like the orvis superfine, Clearwater, Thomas and Thomas makes a nice rod in the 500 range 

I also see folks using glass

this is all about crawling upstreams on knees if necessary and delivering a near perfect cast knowing you might only get one shot. What a blast 

what say you?

43F67C57-EDFF-470A-A94D-C820EBF48860.jpeg

Sierra Trading has the Powell SweetP glass rod for $ 60, 7' 4wt.  I checked one out in store and it seemed decent but I don't have any experience with it otherwise.  Redington Trout comes in a 7'6" or 8'  4wt, might be a good cheap option too.

I would go with a 3 or 4wt 7'6" (or so).  I mostly roll and spey type casts so a double taper line is nice if you can find it otherwise a weight forward with a decent back taper for longer cast.  Personally I can't imagine spending $500 on a rod/reel for this purpose let along a rod. In the used market you can get something amazing for $200ish (rod/reel).  Sadly you may end up spending more for the line then either the rod or reel.  I use an old (1980) Orvis 7'11" or a home made 7' 4wt.  Building a glass rod 4wt @ 7'6". I like softer rods for this type of fishing since I feel it protect the leader better especially for brook trout which can really hit a swinging fly hard 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Having bushwhacked around small streams for many years, I'm very happy I have a 6' option and a 7' option. Different strokes, etc., but I'm not sure why anyone would want or need a small stream stick larger than 7'. DT floating line. If you're a glass or cane fan small streams are great place for those materials.

Hope that helps,

Steve Culton

Edited by The Fisherman

Redington Classic Trout series are very nice.

If $500.00 is your price point, you could get three of them in varies weights and lengths for that amount.

SF.

Haven't tried it yet (but have one ready to go this weekend), but have heard guys say the TFO Bug Launcher, which is geared towards kids, is actually a really nice brook rod. I can see that, and it's $89.

1 hour ago, qecfly said:

Steve,

I generally agree but I find the long rod roll casts better for me.  In any case 6, 7, 7 1/2 all will work.

Yup, different strokes, etc. There are some areas I bushwhack through where a 6' rod is a Godsend. You mentioned roll casting which is a cast I also use a lot on small streams. The OP should definitely try before he buys since all rods are not created equal when it comes to roll casting (and that also speaks to line weight and taper).

Btw, it's worth mentioning that these small stream sticks vary greatly in flex and line weight capability, so the OP may want to not necessarily lock into any certain weight rod. I have a 6' glass five-weight that feels to me like it's a 2-weight (whatever that feels like). I have a 7' that handles a range of line grains. Both roll cast like a dream with a five weight DT.

Steve Culton 

2 hours ago, Stonefish said:

Redington Classic Trout series are very nice.

If $500.00 is your price point, you could get three of them in varies weights and lengths for that amount.

SF.

I don’t have a price point

but I really liked the Orvis Superfine and the TNT. 

Super light and well built 

but the Orvis Clearwater was good too