dannyplug1

Reel submerged in salt water

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Dropped one of my old BG DIWIA spinning reels in,the salt water.  I washed it off how do I clean it?  I have cleaned reels before what solvent do I use to get the old grease off?  Thanks Charlie 

Open ‘er up  and use WD-40 as a solvent to break down and clean out the old grease. Dry it all out with some rags and then lube it all up again. Lube choice is up to you and there’s lots of guys who get very technical with their lubricant selections. For an older style  reel like a Daiwa Black Gold; good old marine bearing grease is all you’ll ever need. This isn’t  a hard thing to do and you’ll gain a good understanding of how your reel works. Easy fix!

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 9:48 PM, dannyplug1 said:

Dropped one of my old BG DIWIA spinning reels in,the salt water.  I washed it off how do I clean it?  I have cleaned reels before what solvent do I use to get the old grease off?  Thanks Charlie 

don't tell us you still didn't do anything yet.

if not you will be buying a new reel if the saltwater got inside.

HH

Pulled them apart yesterday. One reel fine one reel couldn’t get main Bering out.  I think it was going bad last year.  Gotta figure out how to get it out, and replace bearing.