coastalfreak

Sebastian Inlet Fishing

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Hey guys, so you may have seen a thread I started maybe a month ago about Cocoa Beach fishing, and I appreciate the help I got on there. Very useful stuff!

Anyway, I didn't realize how close Sebastian Inlet was to Cocoa. Only about 50 minutes. Now normally, I am content with throwing shrimp or squid in the surf and catching whatever, but it seems like Sebastian is too legendary of a place to do that at. I'm not much of a lure guy, although lures would be the most practical option for me versus live bait. So what's you guys' take, and what could I expect to catch?

Thanks!

just north of the park is whiteys bait and tackle......drop in    they have live bait .....and good advise on fishing the area. I think they may even have this free fishing map .....great place to fish!

1 hour ago, bronson said:

just north of the park is whiteys bait and tackle......drop in    they have live bait .....and good advise on fishing the area. I think they may even have this free fishing map .....great place to fish!

Appreciate it! Will give them a visit. 

large snook and redfish are the main staples of the inlet, a lot of guys throw live mullet with an ounce or 2 or flairhawk jigs. the key is to hit it on a moving tide, especially the outgoing. Prepare for combat fishing at its finest and definitely keep track of your belongings!

And what they don't tell you.... is that be ready to share that spot with a zillion other folks during our summer months.... if you are game for combat fishing then you are good to go... It isnt a magic place where you go and think you are going tackle a monster.... and if you don't know the rules of the pier "Some" Locals can be nasty at times to newies .....This is Florida and during this time almost anywhere on any of our beaches can be nice...Look at it this way... the drive back and forth are spend just driving to look for fish, where as you could spend that time in Cocoa fishing...or areas close to you fishing...again the choice is yours... good luck... and if your heart is set on fishing there... look up the "Sebastian inlet district" i believe they show the area and also daily fishing reports... and here's what you might see on a weekend and if its a holiday...oh lord help you :eek:

SI Horror.jpg

3 hours ago, Drako said:

And what they don't tell you.... is that be ready to share that spot with a zillion other folks during our summer months.... if you are game for combat fishing then you are good to go... It isnt a magic place where you go and think you are going tackle a monster.... and if you don't know the rules of the pier "Some" Locals can be nasty at times to newies .....This is Florida and during this time almost anywhere on any of our beaches can be nice...Look at it this way... the drive back and forth are spend just driving to look for fish, where as you could spend that time in Cocoa fishing...or areas close to you fishing...again the choice is yours... good luck... and if your heart is set on fishing there... look up the "Sebastian inlet district" i believe they show the area and also daily fishing reports... and here's what you might see on a weekend and if its a holiday...oh lord help you :eek:

SI Horror.jpg

I don't know if I'll be going there... I knew it was crowded, but by the time I looked around I think I may just hit Melbourne instead. Any other places between Sebastian and Cocoa?

If you are staying somewhere on or close to the beach... Do a google earth map of the place and look around for fishy areas... if the cape is closer then fish that inlet... during this time of year there is no telling what you might up too...Always remember the less time you have to travel the more fishing time you will have..Also don't forget our ICW (river system) plus the course ways....if you plan to fish the beaches fish them early and late... during the middle of the day take nap and power up for later afternoon into the nite. oh and as far that picture goes... that might've been opening day for Snook season...I don't even get close to water on opening day :banghd:

Last time I went there, I was amazed at the amount of Kikkoman Soy Sauce 5gl buckets that were being used..... Haven't been there in a couple of years, and don't plan on going back. It's combat fishing at it's best when snook season opens.

I usually stay at the Sheraton in Cocoa and travel daily (or nightly) to Sebastian. It is like fishing the canal. I guess Ponce is not much further to the north. I have done very well fishing there as well. 

On 7/28/2019 at 8:22 PM, ged said:

I usually stay at the Sheraton in Cocoa and travel daily (or nightly) to Sebastian. It is like fishing the canal. I guess Ponce is not much further to the north. I have done very well fishing there as well. 

Come stay with me next time. Im 15 mins from Ponce Inlet.

17 hours ago, reelfire said:

Come stay with me next time. Im 15 mins from Ponce Inlet.

Thank you. Inlaws are close, in Ormond Beach, but it may be good to fish with a local. 

8 mins ago, ged said:

Thank you. Inlaws are close, in Ormond Beach, but it may be good to fish with a local. 

Ill have to find us a local then. Im just a transplant.

On 8/4/2019 at 0:19 PM, ged said:

Just moved to Leesburg. I will be over that way frequently. Have no idea where to start. As far as equipment, I brought all of my surf gear and plugs. I usually fish 9 or 11' lamiglas rods. I did have a custom 7'6, 3/8 -1oz, rod geeks built for live shrimp. Is it a day or night fishery? Help!

40 mins ago, mtl50 said:

Just moved to Leesburg. I will be over that way frequently. Have no idea where to start. As far as equipment, I brought all of my surf gear and plugs. I usually fish 9 or 11' lamiglas rods. I did have a custom 7'6, 3/8 -1oz, rod geeks built for live shrimp. Is it a day or night fishery? Help!

Funny. My grandparents live in the Villages, next to Lady Lake. Pretty good freshwater fishing down there. 

1 hour ago, mtl50 said:

I have done well for sea trout with DOA shrimp in the beach.

In the Inlet I had a few amazing days on huge blues, but I understand that is rare. The funny thing is, locals were fishing live shrimp in the inlet and I was casting an SP minnow in the wash, and I was connecting every cast. They had never seen an SP minnow.