Should I eat this fish?

Rate this topic

94 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, gellfex said:

You guys are just SOOOO fastidious! You must freak out at public restrooms!

From the NY Times:

I personally think all restroom doors should open out so I don't have to touch that handle, and you know how fussy I am.

Anyone who eats hot dogs (myself included) should be more worried about the contents of said hot dog than the hands that handle it.

And I agree about bathroom doors opening out.

I read something last year that said there was far more germs on the elevator buttons than the toilet seats in whatever testing that they did to get that stat. I use my access badge to push the button most days. 

17 mins ago, Kml said:

I read something last year that said there was far more germs on the elevator buttons than the toilet seats in whatever testing that they did to get that stat. I use my access badge to push the button most days. 

No. Just no...

One of the coolest experiments I ever did in a college lab was testing for bacteria on our fingertips. Simple. Stick your fingertips on a plate of agar plate of bacterial growth medium. Then go wash your hands really well and do it again on another agar plate. 

You expect that your unwashed hands will show more bacteria but the opposite is true! Bacteria are always present and produce compounds that help them adhere to your skin. After washing, the soap disrupts the bacteria's ability to adhere to your skin and you leave much more on the agar plate. So freshly washed hands leave far more bacteria behind on whatever you touch.

True story!

10 mins ago, Mike said:

One of the coolest experiments I ever did in a college lab was testing for bacteria on our fingertips. Simple. Stick your fingertips on a plate of agar plate of bacterial growth medium. Then go wash your hands really well and do it again on another agar plate. 

You expect that your unwashed hands will show more bacteria but the opposite is true! Bacteria are always present and produce compounds that help them adhere to your skin. After washing, the soap disrupts the bacteria's ability to adhere to your skin and you leave much more on the agar plate. So freshly washed hands leave far more bacteria behind on whatever you touch.

True story!

What about if you wipe your ass with your bare hand and swish it around in Raritan Bay?

32 mins ago, Kml said:

My kids pediatrician is on the 4th fl of the hospital, I use a knuckle, never my finger, figure my knuckle never goes anywhere mission critical.

Well while we're happy talking bacteria, I got a good story from this past winter. Went with the family to Panama, and brought this back:

infection.PNG.b09f06a672533dac603d7033ed98a3a9.PNG

Some kind of non-MRSA staph. After some oral antibiotic fails my Primary sent me to the ER for IV antibiotics. Wife had some too but the kids escaped. I got round scars all over my leg now. Travel is fun! Probably got it in the San Blas Islands, we stayed on a coral rock that Gilligan would have turned down.

6 mins ago, Slacker said:

What about if you wipe your ass with your bare hand and swish it around in Raritan Bay?

I suppose it won't improve my situation to admit it was Newark Bay.:shrug:

2 mins ago, gellfex said:

I suppose it won't improve my situation to admit it was Newark Bay.:shrug:

So you were exacerbating the situation. 

1 min ago, Mike said:

Looks like strep, not staph 

More than any doc ever ventured, they never did culture it AFAIK. Twas nasty, lesions grew real fast, I have pics of one doubling in 12 hrs, now every time I get a pimple that doesn't clear up I'm freaking out.

1 min ago, Mike said:

So you were exacerbating the situation. 

Which situation, the sewage in Newark Bay?