tristate

Hobie Mirage Passport

7 posts in this topic

As I get older I realized that I don’t cover as much water so that I have enough energy to get back to the launch site. I’ve been thinking that a peddle kayak would increase my range and have noticed the Hobie Mirage Passport is selling under $1400. It is rated to carry 325lbs I weigh 250. Does anyone have experience with this kayak? I have been using a 14’ Wilderness Tarpon and it is extremely stable and close to the water. How stable is the Hobie M P and will my weight be a factor in this shorter platform. I am 72 and hope to get another 25 years out of it, being on fixed income I would hate to have to replace my next kayak. I understand that the Hobie M P doesn’t  have reverse, range and affordability are key. Thanks for any input.

No experience, but it is a thermoformed hull and not the heavier duty HDPE.  I am not sure if it would make a difference in terms of weight capacity.

I am sure it will be lighter with the mirage drive and chair detached compared to your T140.  

One of the reasons the cost is lower is that it does not have a reverse feature, so embrace it- and embrace the paddle for the few times you'll likely have to reverse direction.

Good luck and I hope you get to pedal one and report back to us!

The Compass cost more (around $2k) but it has a much higher capacity rating. I am also 250# and I love my new Compass ... very stable, as light as the Tarpon (I also have a Tarpon 140) and plenty of space for me. If you look around you should be able to find a use Compass for less, or wait for the winter to get a demo/floor model which saved me $300. I think you'd be pushing it in the Passport IMO

At 70 years old, moving a kayak the size and weight of a T140 has to be really tough.  Then again, maybe that 250lbs is mainly muscle and tristate is one of those farm strong dudes that ages well.  Maybe a passport with some Hobie or Scotty stabilizers?

Thanks for confirming uneasiness I had in the Passport. I think I will save up and look at the Compass in the spring. Great to have the members here as a resource when you need information.

Posted (edited) · Report post

11 hours ago, tristate said:

Thanks for confirming uneasiness I had in the Passport. I think I will save up and look at the Compass in the spring. Great to have the members here as a resource when you need information.

The Compass is a completely different feeling than the Tarpon ... it feels a ton more stable. I have only had the Tarpon for a year (it's a 2007 but new to me ...) and that platform was a bit tricky for me to get used to ... my 1st kayak is a Future Beach Angler 160, which is a barge, but unbelievably stable. The Tarpon is much more agile and easier to paddle, but it is narrower and wet. I really load down the kayak with my weight so I have an inch of water in the cockpit, and the narrow-ness took a bit to get used to. However, I do like it as a paddle platform. Going to the Compass from the Tarpon really gave me the stability back. My 1st venture out in the Compass was in Buzzards Bay on a 20 knot day ... 2-3 foot chop. I never felt like I was going to tip. The irony is that my partner, in an Outback, did flip (he "claims" it was the bluefish he was fighting ...). I think you'll like the Compass.

And you'll like the seat ... it may not be an Outback/Vantage comfort, but nice compared to the seat pad on the Tarpon (older ... I understand the newer seats are really nice). And I didn't feel as if my center of gravity was really high, which is my fear in the lawn chair style of seats.

Edited by jeffreyrichard

I got to spend a whole day fishing a fairly large lake on the passport. It's actually quite stable and maneuverable and I was able to hook and land a pile of bass standing up. The seat is very comfortable despite only having a recline adjustment and it does paddle well. For reference I weigh 195 and am 35 years old. Standing if you're interested, would be easier on the compass as the seat is higher off the deck. I would go out and test drive both boats before buying anything.