bob_G

Recent canal events

Rate this topic

304 posts in this topic

29 mins ago, 55555s said:

OK.

I live in a nice little town, but its really very diverse.  So there's a lot of local flavor to go along with the rest.  

Anyway a few years ago there was a guy dealing a couple houses down, and the meeting spot was a particular bench area.  Clearly dealing as unusual car and foot traffic starting coming that way.  This was before cell phones were quite as ubiquitous as they are now.  

I told the cops, they said they'd look into it.

I told him to leave, rather nicely of course.   He did but, came back.   

So I started taking pictures of the license plates and people coming and going, and taking video.  I'd nod and say "hey whats up man?.   You need any help with anything?"   and just keep up with the pictures.  

"Yo WTF bro?"   

Later we talked about how If anyone sold to my kids or their friends I'd cut them in half and dump them in the river.    Politely.   

But mostly more pictures.    

He's gone now.

The nugget from this boring diatribe is that I REALLY think photos and video work wonders, and shaming people publicly (or the threat of) can go a long way.  

Did the police ever do anything about it?

Just now, z-man said:

Did the police ever do anything about it?

Dont know.  Never saw it or heard of it, no extra patrols or unusual police activity on the block.   They gave me the "we'll look into it" line.   

Maybe they did.  

I tend to think it was the D-bag with a camera in his hand.  

On 7/14/2019 at 10:27 AM, bob_G said:

It appears the ongoing fishing and bad behavior orgy at Area51 may be coming to an end. Ma EPOs  apprehended the large group that has been poaching huge numbers of fish from this area for the last rwo years.

I’m hopeful Ma EPO will put something up on their FB page. They’re usually quick to post anytime they issue a citation- I wonder why they haven’t.  Maybe no arrests and just a stern talking to???

I'm not sure there is a solution.... 

The only guarantee is that the crowds of derelicts will go away when the stripers are gone.

2 hours ago, TBYRD said:

I'm not sure there is a solution.... 

The only guarantee is that the crowds of derelicts will go away when the stripers are gone.

Sad to say but I think the canal getting closed would be a good thing.......let all the googans/ Instagram spot burners have to work for a fish or study some water and tides etc...and most of em will be done as quick as they came.

Ban bikes ..walk path only..it's like the tour da France..gates for the parks.walk in only..that'll cut  alot of the phone tag tools from running to hot spot to hot spot.. little changes can make a big difference

10 hours ago, bob_G said:

No, it's better to give law enforcement the information they require and let them handle it. :)

It sounds great , but in the real world of fishing all of the problems we now are facing along the canal are more about  changing cultural behaviors and putting on educational informational classes as apposed to law enforcement , also badly needed.

That takes on an whole  new approach in how every one reacts and posts about any problems that give out the locations along the way . Many eyes read these post we all place here and to think that any one complaining and bitching while giving out the locations is a positive way to helping the condition we all have another think coming ,

From the onset many years ago when it began, more, not less have found the information being presented here and elsewhere  to be enlightened enough to add to the madness we see .along this man made water way .

Until we as concerned fishermen band together and formulate an organized approach to address every concern among the brethren of the the canal from every aspect of law enforcement, poaching, ethical behavior we will continue to be whistling in the dark and talking to the wall of change, that will never happen in my life time. Changing long time cultural learning's fishing practices takes more then some one here complaining while telling the world where it is happening , with out hopefuly making attempts to encourage a better process of learning the right way we all should be fishing that respects the resource we all love in some way. That will never be done with just changing laws as good as it might seem  for some. Just another mans opinion on a long time very complicated problem facing our world of fishing in an-enjoyable manner.       

I said earlier  this year that I talked to a supervisor for ACOE from another facility and he said that one of their meetings was just about canal. The subject of a complete closure did come up. The number one reason being the total breakdown of all civility towards people and the fish. Said people thought it was easier  to enforce no fishing than to enforce the nonsense that goes on everyday.. We can only blame ourselves.

If the canal regulars started taking photos and videos of the poaching and posted it to the MA EPO Facebook page it would at least give the officers a heads up on what people to keep an eye on. 

A head or chest mounted go pro would be perfect for this and people would just think that you were filming your fishing trip. 

8 hours ago, willcodfish said:

Ban bikes ..walk path only..it's like the tour da France..gates for the parks.walk in only..that'll cut  alot of the phone tag tools from running to hot spot to hot spot.. little changes can make a big difference

Don't know if that will solve it. Most of the worse canal behavior happens at spots that are close to the biggest parking lots. When the hot fishing happens to occur near those spots, the problem grows exponentially.

Bikes wouldn't stop anything put a EPO in every lot to catch them stuffing fish. But we all know that wont happen. Just like put a epo on the boat ramps. The one and only choke point where all the poachers have to go through;)

3 hours ago, Gwiz said:

I said earlier  this year that I talked to a supervisor for ACOE from another facility and he said that one of their meetings was just about canal. The subject of a complete closure did come up. The number one reason being the total breakdown of all civility towards people and the fish. Said people thought it was easier  to enforce no fishing than to enforce the nonsense that goes on everyday.. We can only blame ourselves.

this is very possible, and once its gone , its gone for good!!! the sad truth to this is  ,the locals did not cause this. they will be the one who pay the steepest price. The ones who cause,will just move onto the next spot and begin said process over. like a plague in the form of outta state plates