bob_G

Recent canal events

Rate this topic

304 posts in this topic

Starting with some encouraging news.  It appears the ongoing fishing and bad behavior orgy at Area51 may be coming to an end. Ma EPOs  apprehended the large group that has been poaching huge numbers of fish from this area for the last rwo years. I didnt witness it, but people who did said tempers were heated and the perps were putting up quite an argument.

Now for the rest of the story. Acting upon relentless brought on by local residents, the Bourne PD will now be having paid details on Bell Rd. The details began this Thursday at midnight. These details are paid for by the ACOE, and will continue throughout the summer.

I have no problem with the police doing the detail. They're doing the job for which they're paid. That said, this is a real black eye for the fishing community, esp canal anglers. To think we're so childish, and immature that we need to gave a babysitter. We need to be watched because we can't behave ourselves when left to our own devices. 

Unfortunately we put ourselves in this position. We asked for it.

Something was going to have to be done sooner or later about the noise at all hours. if i were an abutter living down there i would have been livid. looks like the authorities finally got the message and now everyone is being watched and many are being stopped and (politely) questioned. 

That also extends to an increased epo presence. saw at least one individual busted and issued a court summons two nites ago for taking multiple bass on a non comm day. expect more of this.

To quote the epo..."there's a lot of poaching going on at the canal right now." they are aware. 

I guess better late than never.The courts now have to do their job............................

13 mins ago, CoffeeHangover said:

I'm glad something is being done but it's a shame that it had to be like this.  A few bad eggs and we're all getting treated like naughty children now.

The problem is that’s it’s a lot more than “a few”.  

45 mins ago, bob_G said:

That said, this is a real black eye for the fishing community, esp canal anglers. To think we're so childish, and immature that we need to gave a babysitter. We need to be watched because we can't behave ourselves when left to our own devices. 

Yep.

30 mins ago, frezzy said:

The problem is that’s it’s a lot more than “a few”.  

^^This. 

2 hours ago, bob_G said:

Starting with some encouraging news.  It appears the ongoing fishing and bad behavior orgy at Area51 may be coming to an end. Ma EPOs  apprehended the large group that has been poaching huge numbers of fish from this area for the last rwo years. I didnt witness it, but people who did said tempers were heated and the perps were putting up quite an argument.

Now for the rest of the story. Acting upon relentless brought on by local residents, the Bourne PD will now be having paid details on Bell Rd. The details began this Thursday at midnight. These details are paid for by the ACOE, and will continue throughout the summer.

I have no problem with the police doing the detail. They're doing the job for which they're paid. That said, this is a real black eye for the fishing community, esp canal anglers. To think we're so childish, and immature that we need to gave a babysitter. We need to be watched because we can't behave ourselves when left to our own devices. 

Not that I support this, but why wouldn't ACOE just close the gates instead of paying for a detail? haven't fished the canal in two years...are things really that bad?

Funny ,my buddy and I fished the wee hours of Saturday morning (should have slept instead) and there was a group upstream from me that were fishing in a tightly bunched group despite there being ZERO bite going on and (mind you I'm no prude) they struck me as a rather rough scraggly bunch that were out of place in this West/Mid canal cape side spot.   It seemed to me like they had been chased out of another spot and set up here all disgruntled and stuff.

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 hours ago, bob_G said:

That’s just people in general. Lot of cretins out there. 

Edited by Seadogg

I can’t stand how many more guys I see fishing across Mass......obscure spots I never would see a soul at now get flocked....And god help you if someone sees you catch a fish! social media has really jacked up fishing. I can’t imagine being local to the canal and having those hoards decend upon me,I think I’d rather not fish.