Gulf Vet

Tanks, but no Tanks....

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

What was the big deal again of wanting to have tanks in our Independence Day Parade in DC? I mean the French seemed to have found the money pull it off and their streets look no worse for the wear. So, are the French going full fledged Nazi now or was it just one more instance of TDS hysteria in America? 

Aside from a cpl of yellow vests, were there protests against this in France?

Tank Franks.jpg

Edited by Gulf Vet

Already a thread from TK I didnt see, so I locked

Belay my last...

Decided to unlock so we can see those afflicted with TDS and the perennial naysayers on full display.

Edited by Gulf Vet

The more often you'v been humiliated in war, the more you need to reassure yourself. France has no end of reasons to need to reassure itself. 

We're working on it. With regime change advocates like Bolton and Pompeo to assist in foreign policy, we too may come to need to reassure ourselves more often. 

I wonder if that part of the Champs-Elysee was designed with the stress of military parades in mind?  I'll bet it was. 

President Trump likes Bright Shiny Things. His supporters like Bright Shiny Things. Wheeee!

Regime change advocates? Uh, wasn’t cheering on the Arab Spring upheaval a form of advocating for regime change? 

Applauding the Arab Spring didn't commit us to two decades of war, six trillion in expenditures (and still counting) and tens of thousands of casualties (and still counting.) 

Neither did Trump, he inherited those ongoing conflicts. You referenced specific people from Trump's Administration who were not involved in the start of either conflict going back to 2002. 

Did the Arab Spring serve US interests and make our country safer from overseas threats  in the grand scheme of things? 

Bolton has been around a long time and was a cheerleader for the invasion of Iraq.

The Arab spring has been a wash. Pity that most such efforts failed, though Tunisia seems to be making progress.  We were at risk before the Arab Spring and we remain at risk now.  

30 mins ago, BrianBM said:

The more often you'v been humiliated in war, the more you need to reassure yourself. France has no end of reasons to need to reassure itself. 

We're working on it. With regime change advocates like Bolton and Pompeo to assist in foreign policy, we too may come to need to reassure ourselves more often. 

I wonder if that part of the Champs-Elysee was designed with the stress of military parades in mind?  I'll bet it was. 

President Trump likes Bright Shiny Things. His supporters like Bright Shiny Things. Wheeee!

I guess you can say one Country's pride in the display of power by it's military can be watered down to the mere reassurance of another.

I think we missed an opportunity on many domestic (and foreign) fronts with the disarray on display over this. Your last line illustrates as much.

10 hours ago, Gulf Vet said:

What was the big deal again of wanting to have tanks in our Independence Day Parade in DC? I mean the French seemed to have found the money pull it off and their streets look no worse for the wear. So, are the French going full fledged Nazi now or was it just one more instance of TDS hysteria in America? 

Aside from a cpl of yellow vests, were there protests against this in France?

Tank Franks.jpg

The left got a nazified up when Trump said there would be TANKS!

And there were TANKS!  Two of them parked on the side of a Washington Street Corner with the tank crews pointing out what wonderful killing machine the M 1 Abrams is’!

Welcome home Gulf Vet from a Old Marine Rifle Platoon Sgt.  I have great respect for the job all of our Armed Services have done!  The way they suport each other in combat.  The Second Battle of Falluga’ the “Black Horse Regt. Did a lot of heavy lifting supporting my old Battalion (3 Bat, 5 Marine Regt.) Call Sign “Darkhorse”. 

SOL Member “Killapete!” Was a Black Horse Tank Platoon Commander the that Fight.  They Army blew holes in each enemy strong points and the Marines would Clean them out and they covered  the tanks in the tight quarters the tanks were working in!  The respect the Marines had for the Tankers was very high!  

Be well GV

Edited by RJ

49 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Bolton has been around a long time and was a cheerleader for the invasion of Iraq.

The Arab spring has been a wash. Pity that most such efforts failed, though Tunisia seems to be making progress.  We were at risk before the Arab Spring and we remain at risk now.  

How did Bolton vote?  Did he vote against before he voted for it?

2 mins ago, RJ said:

And there were TANKS!  Two of them parked on the side of a Washington Street Corner with the tank crews pointing out what wonderful killing machine the M 1 Abrams is’!

"Tanks but no tanks" was for a laugh but truth is, I was very happy to see them but there should have been more. Many more.

It woulda done a world of good for the morale of our troops, veterans and civilians alike. The higher visibility could have been used as a recruiting tool adding to our all-volunteer force and a retention drive for those maybe thinking of processing out. Also as a power-projection "two-fer" for our enemies, both in the display of that power as well as showing we can all actually come together and rally around our men and women in uniform in such a way.  

Unfortunately, many just simply assigned it to Trump's ego... which it turned out to be nothing of the sort. All that anguish and hand wringing for nothing, outwardly showing our enemies a weaker, more fractured USA being hamstrung by it's divisions. 

Hopefully for next years parade we can turn the corner and get passed this.

12 hours ago, BrianBM said:

Applauding the Arab Spring didn't commit us to two decades of war, six trillion in expenditures (and still counting) and tens of thousands of casualties (and still counting.) 

Obama has gotten us involved in Syria, hasn’t he? You know, regime change and all. 

Isis ring any bells? That’s what 6-7 years

How about Egypt? Obama loved him some Muslim Brotherhood, didn’t he? 

Lets not forget the meddling in Israel’s election either! 

Obama tried to get rid of Assad, but wasn't willing to commit us to much more than a limited amount of air power, by a no-fly zone. We didn't put boots on the ground to make it happen.

ISIS considers killing Americans to be a religious obligation. Do you really mean to complain that a Predator campaign is the same as what we've done for twenty years in Iraq? 

The Muslim Brotherhood won the nearest thing to an honest election that Egypt's ever seen. We didn't do anything except discourage the Egyptian army from the mass slaughter of civilians, to which normal form it ultimately reverted anyway. No American lives were lost as Egypt tried for a democracy and then reverted to military dictatorship.

Your dislike of Arab attempts to reach for a democratic kind of government is noted. 

As for "meddling" in Israel, American public diplomacy was exactly that - public. No hacking, no disinformation, no endless commitment of American blood, which is where we remain in Iraq, Afghanistan and possibly Syria.