Good2Go

2002 225 Yamaha 4 stroke

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Considering a boat with a Yami with 1600 hours on it. Am I crazy or does this motor have another 1600 in it? Appreciate any ones experience with this size/hours. 

You need to have it inspected for exhaust corrosion.  There have been discussions here iirc.  I think its about a 5k fix

More like 24-2500 to fix. Just had mine done (‘03). Didn’t show any signs of corrosion, but I wanted to sleep a little better.  In my 3rd season with . Original owner put 400 hrs on. I’ve got it up to

720 now. Provided you don’t have that issue or the oil pan / t stat corrosion it’s a great motor. At least it’s been for me. Quiet, good enough power. ( ‘03 Scout 235) Longevity wise, I can’t help you on.

My friend has 2000 hours on his 2003 225's. He had the exhuast fixed. Still going strong

If its exhaust corrosion near the steel plug like the Suzuki  it's an easy fix. You can have any welder weld a 1 inch by 1inch plate in place of the steel plug (100-200 $ fix ) or buy another mid section and put your power head on it. Takes me a day to remove and reseat (taking my time) a power head if no bolts break .key is to use a impact with some vibration. Tighten slightly first then take off.If you use a breaker bar you will break every bolt trying to undo it. No 12 point or wrenches you will round the bolts  .use a 6 point impact thick wall socket with minimum extensions.these have better torqe response. Your basic sockets lose torque. .. I use a makita 1/2 drive battery power impact the high torq version. 

On 7/23/2019 at 5:02 PM, 757saltwater said:

If its exhaust corrosion near the steel plug like the Suzuki  it's an easy fix. You can have any welder weld a 1 inch by 1inch plate in place of the steel plug (100-200 $ fix ) or buy another mid section and put your power head on it. Takes me a day to remove and reseat (taking my time) a power head if no bolts break .key is to use a impact with some vibration. Tighten slightly first then take off.If you use a breaker bar you will break every bolt trying to undo it. No 12 point or wrenches you will round the bolts  .use a 6 point impact thick wall socket with minimum extensions.these have better torqe response. Your basic sockets lose torque. .. I use a makita 1/2 drive battery power impact the high torq version. 

Great advice!

While you have the head off, check the oil seal on the main shaft.  Ask me how I know - 2003 Yamaha 225 - starts every time, runs without hiccups, but I had the exhaust corrosion (done in 2015 at 400 or so hours, before it got too bad) and the leaking oil seal (done this year at 700 hours).

When was the exhaust done on your 1600 hour example?  I expect that all the 2002-2004/5 motors with that many hours have had it done.  Some may have been done twice!