GreggH

dbl haul a 2 handed beach rod.

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Ever try to toss a large Pole Dancer with a 1 handed rod? You may last 20 minutes before tapping out. I strung up my Opal 7-8 with a OBS F 375g and can dbl around 80' or so feet, plus I can fish that dead cat for a hour or so without rotating my cuff. The technique is very simple and I've been boat fishing like this for 5 years or so. Pin the handle to you hip, do not let it slip. Begin your false case, carry 5 feet or so line then let it rip. You'll find the loops are the tightest you ever seen and punch through wind like never before. I can carry 12' -15' of running (RIO OBS ) string then cast the entire line! My backcast are equally as strong. Other advantages are line management because of the 2 handed e coast strip. All the line is dumped right in front perfect for beach or boat (LMD) buckets/baskets. If you strip hard and big like I do with a single hand you'll find fatigue is a big factor for older folks, not nearly as much with the rod tucked under your arm with the 2 hand strip. Strip sets are deeper with way more control at the grab. No more trigger finger slips at the bite. If you have any Q's please hit me up. BTW- Rods 12' and under. How far can you guys throw with the traditional overhead 2 handed cast? I roll out a foot of string before my cast and only get 70 feet (no wind) max. Serum, OBS, SA's tried them all...       *

IMG_8681.jpg

IMG_9464.JPG

IMG_9416.JPG

IMG_0499.jpg

IMG_4805.JPG

Edited by GreggH
Please don’t post commercial links here - thanks :-)

I am very happy that you are bringing up the subject. I have the Opal 9-10 and get about the same results as you do....80 to 90 in perfect conditions...70 being the practical distance I guess...Was thinking about letting some running line out on the back cast...Wish I could see a video of someone doing it...

Cheers

^..^

Greg

Can you please explain the first bit regarding carrying 5 feet of line and letting it rip.

Carrying  up to 20 feet of running line outside of the rod tip makes sense to me.

I had a guy come to one of the TH days I used to run around five years ago and he used a similar cast  to the one you are describing. It was very effective.

As to distances with a nominal 13 foot long TH in good conditions which for me is wind on left shoulder then best is around 130 feet.

I don’t routinely try for that just what’s needed on the day.  60 to 80 feet requires very little effort. 

No way unless  Goliath could I cast my rod in the same way but no need to.

Different tools.

Mike

Correct me if I'm wrong...You are using a WF9F on your 7/8 ? Any tips added ? What's you leader configuration ?

Thanx

8 mins ago, snapper1 said:

I am very happy that you are bringing up the subject. I have the Opal 9-10 and get about the same results as you do....80 to 90 in perfect conditions...70 being the practical distance I guess...Was thinking about letting some running line out on the back cast...Wish I could see a video of someone doing it...

Cheers

^..^

Snapper

It helps your cast greatly to feed some running line into your back cast. You will prolong the run time of the loop and mostly get a better loops.

The running line is fed by relaxing your grip on the line and letting it slip through your fingers.  It is a bit of a knack feeding right amount but you get better at it quite quickly.

Dont fret if sometimes you dump all the fly line on the back cast. It happens to us all.  More likely to happen with mono running lines with no handling section between the mono and the head.

You just open your fingers. The line is clamped to rod handle by up the rod hand and then pulled over the reel before lower hand clamps the line.

The line passes through your fingers. So it starts off tight then relaxes to feed line into back cast then it tightens again and you make your cast.

Mike

7 mins ago, Mike Oliver said:

Greg

Can you please explain the first bit regarding carrying 5 feet of line and letting it rip.

Carrying  up to 20 feet of running line outside of the rod tip makes sense to me.

I had a guy come to one of the TH days I used to run around five years ago and he used a similar cast  to the one you are describing. It was very effective.

As to distances with a nominal 13 foot long TH in good conditions which for me is wind on left shoulder then best is around 130 feet.

I don’t routinely try for that just what’s needed on the day.  60 to 80 feet requires very little effort. 

No way unless  Goliath could I cast my rod in the same way but no need to.

Different tools.

Mike

Hey Mike

What do you mean ?

M

Hi M

What this means is that during the cast  20 feet of the running line which is attached to the head is allowed to come into play.

So if you have a 30 foot head and 20 feet of running line out side of the rod tip you are airialising  50 feet plus leader.

This length of running line is typically referred to as overhang.

You have to experiment to find right amount for you and your rod.

If you over do it you will get hinging and it gets hard for running line to transfer energy and the line will sag.

You mostly need some overhang to make a good cast.

mike

Hang'n 5' of running line out the rod tip is what I was trying to say. Thats a good sweet spot for novice dbl hauling a Opal strung with a you name it..RIO OB, SA triple density, AF...Match the G window, pin that handle to your hip and fire it. Mike, it was I who showed you this cast on the Cape. Cheer's 

Snapper- no need for tip's with the line's mentioned. Salt leader= 40lb butt @ 24"     20lb @ 6 feet.

IMG_0006-1673x1120.jpg

Edited by GreggH

40 mins ago, GreggH said:

Hang'n 5' of running line out the rod tip is what I was trying to say. Thats a good sweet spot for novice dbl hauling a Opal strung with a you name it..RIO OB, SA triple density, AF...Match the G window, pin that handle to your hip and fire it. Mike, it was I who showed you this cast on the Cape. Cheer's 

Snapper- no need for tip's with the line's mentioned. Salt leader= 40lb butt @ 24"     20lb @ 6 feet.

IMG_0006-1673x1120.jpg

Awesome.

^..^

I am super confused.  Are you actually hauling or two hand casting?  I cannot

conceptualize being able to do both.  either my left hand is on bottom of rod or its hauling on the line.  

I don't haul at all I just feed running line out during the rear stroke of false cast.  all power and line acceleration is from

my bottom hand powering the TH rod.  I honestly am completely self taught other than watching "Andrew Moy: Two Hand Rods in the Salt" video on YouTube.  I cast the same way he shows in the video.  No idea if my casting stroke is correct or not but no issues with distance so I assume its good enough.  Mike Oliver fished with me he can probably comment on if I am casting correctly or not.

I have the thomas and thomas exocett surf in 10wt and 12wt.  I have the Outbound Short 10wt in floating and S6/I.  I have the Rio Levithan 26ft sink in 500 grains on the 12wt.  Because I am fishing at night I only use 3' leaders of straight 25lb on the 10wt, and 40lb on the 12wt.  

At this point I have about one year experince with TH OH casting on these rods.  Both rods I will throw a 12" beast fly the entire fly line plus 15' of backing in no wind practice casting on the water.  The line bangs in to the reel and fly turns over.  Not sure the real distance I dont cast on grass and measure.  For wind

the sinking line is substantially easier to cast than a floating line.  basically 10mph wind I can cast 90' with the 10wt sinking line and 70-75' with the floating line.  If wind is forecasted over 10mph I take the 12wt it works well into 15mph out to 90' with the 500 grain sink line. As wind increases distance drops off substantially. When wind was over 20mph last fall I could only get about 40-50' cast with the 12wt.  over 25mph I use the surfcasting rod and fly rod stays home, even in 20mph its only a 50% chance I choose to fly fish instead of surf-cast.  So I would say 20mph is a decision point for me on whether I fly or spin fish currently.

My assumption is since I am not measuring on grass my fly is landing shorter than I actually think it is.  I don't measure wind I just track what the weather report is saying during my trip logs.  In general at night I prefer 50-75' for casts unless structure is so far out I have make casts further than 75' to range it.  I wear a hood always it saves me from hooking myself in ear, neck, or head.

Edited by The Graveyard Shift

TGS- Lets be clear. I'm talking about the Beulah Opal 7-8. Simply double haul with the handle pined to your hip. I will make a video and post after I get off the water tomorrow. 

DR3A3812.jpg

Edited by GreggH

18 mins ago, GreggH said:

TGS- Lets be clear. I'm talking about the Beulah Opal 7-8. Simply double haul with the handle pined to your hip. I will make a video and post after I get off the water tomorrow. 

DR3A3812.jpg

Great that will be helpful.  I like learning new casts.  its always best to have multiple tools available to you.  What you are explaining has me intrigued. 

6 hours ago, GreggH said:

IMG_0006-1673x1120.jpg

That’s funny Greg. I had a feeling it was you but my memory like the rest of me is failing these days.

But I do remember the trouble we had finding a breakfast diner later that did not have a long wait.. We drove around a fair bit.

mike

TGS

Your cast is fine. 

Casting those huge flies of yours at first is a huge technical challenge.

It took me a while to figure out how to get the fly off the water and Into the air.

Roll cast did not cut it.

In the dark on the first Mark we fished it felt like the first time I had ever cast a fly. Very humbling.

I can’t fully remember Greg’s cast but his promised video will reveal all.

mike