707steelnstripe

HI, HOW DO YOU LIKE MY 6000 LUMEN HEADLAMP? PERFECT FOR NIGHTFISHING!

Rate this topic

48 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

...or intaking a human being abducted by your alien ship for medical experiments...or spotlighting Nazi uboats in the North Atlantic so you can depth charge them.

What is the deal with the big run on people who want to spend the night fishing with their headlamps lighting up the darkness as if they were God?

These people are totally oblivious and will regularly turn their headlamps right into people's faces while talking to them. 

It's another example of the narcissism of the modern age. It's not only vanity but also technology. People are not aware of their own actions and the effect upon others. Even from a thousand feet away, a bright headlamp pointed in your direction can be annoying in the extreme, especially by some jerk flashing it in every direction chasing his own tail. 

HEADLAMPS SHOULD BE BANNED UNLESS BENEATH A CERTAIN LUMENS THRESHHOLD!!!?  

Edited by 707steelnstripe

Headlamps are like the ALLCAPS of night fishing.

"HEY I HAVE URGENT MESSAGE FOR YOU GUYS:LOOK AT ME!!!"--idiotic headlamp. But there is no message except some oblivious jerk celebrating his obliviousness obliviously, oblivious to the rights and presence and concerns of others.  Like ALLCAPS such bright instruments should only be used for urgency or emphasis like if you are in an emergency situation and need to signal to coast guard or friends for rescue.  

Just now, Mack26 said:

Who pissed in your Cheerios today?! :wee:

I just read Frank Daignaults' article on night fishing and secrecy and he recounted a guy who drove up in beach buggy, spotted him fishing, and actually turned on his high beams and sat there watching him fish for fifteen minutes. Really pissed me off. Headlamps are the same thing I think. 

They make 'em and folks buy 'em. It is what it is. 

I know some spots where one wouldn't dare turn on a bright lamp, lol:howdy:

I don't see the issue.  It can be frustrating when anglers nearby don't use discretion with white lights but if something happens like a fall or a bad hook injury I want to be able to see everything in my surroundings in absolute clarity.  I use a headlamp with a red filter for minor stuff like tying rigs and unhooking fish if I really need it but packing a high lumem light for emergencies makes me feel a lot better about climbing around on slippery rocks solo

5 mins ago, CoffeeHangover said:

I don't see the issue.  It can be frustrating when anglers nearby don't use discretion with white lights but if something happens like a fall or a bad hook injury I want to be able to see everything in my surroundings in absolute clarity.  I use a headlamp with a red filter for minor stuff like tying rigs and unhooking fish if I really need it but packing a high lumem light for emergencies makes me feel a lot better about climbing around on slippery rocks solo

Good for you. This is proper use of a bright light. Emergency use only. What I am complaining about is those who use them constantly and without any consideration for others. these people should not be allowed to fish. 

I get it man, i’m just busting your balls. It’s the stupidity of some of todays society. It’s the same when you see the idiots reeling their WalMart specials upside down at the Canal, catching 30#’s. Or the white bucket brigade leaving gobs of trash everytime they’re done fishing. Or the jokers tossing fish 15 ft in the air back into the water from atop a jetty, so they don’t get sneakers wet. It pisses you off, but even if you say something, they’ll be another knucklehead along right behind them.

All you can do, is try and distance yourself as much as you can from people like that, and try and enjoy your time as much as possible.I do understand your frustration. As hard as it’s become to catch fish consistently, the last thing you need is something working against you.

I like to strap a marine grade spotlight to my belt, so I can see if anyone is fishing in my spot from about a mile away. I also bring a red filter for it to simulate sirens, and to scare all them good-fer-nothin youngsters off the beach.

Headlamps are for working.

NECKLIGHTS are for fishing.

Dont even put that top strap on the light. Hang it around your neck and adjust it so it points straight down at your feet. IF you do need to turn it on, turn yer back to the water, then turn on the red. If you have to look around or even turn yer body, the light isn't flashing all over. 

Simple etiquette I learned 30 some years ago when the first good necklights became available. Notice I said necklight? 'Cause that's what they are supposed to be used for on the beach. 

42 mins ago, 707steelnstripe said:

Good for you. This is proper use of a bright light. Emergency use only. What I am complaining about is those who use them constantly and without any consideration for others. these people should not be allowed to fish. 

People are always going to be inconsiderate and ignorant no matter what rules we impose on them.  Regulating them only imposes the same shackles on us with no tangible benefits.  As an aside I'm not digging this aggressive capslock posting, scoob is a great guy and contributes tons to any discussions he participates in.

1 min ago, CoffeeHangover said:

People are always going to be inconsiderate and ignorant no matter what rules we impose on them.  Regulating them only imposes the same shackles on us with no tangible benefits.  As an aside I'm not digging this aggressive capslock posting, scoob is a great guy and contributes tons to any discussions he participates in.

In my previous account, posting as Otshawytsha, I always considered him knowledgeable. But as I have been posting under this account, I find he is not so helpful, goading me at every turn. He wrote some very long and hurtful comments suggesting I was a fishing spy using the internet. He was wrong and I told him so. Now I guess we're feuding or somethign as he is stalking me with these sniping comments.