patfont

John Skinner Lamiglas Rod 2 Piece

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, VanStaalSteve said:

As to point # 2. Why is it superior? Same blank ? Or different? 

Not sure about the blank, but the hardware was different/better and the price point was lower upon release.  Apparently they have reduced the list price recently.  

2 hours ago, redhawk19 said:

The new version of the skinner Rod is softer then the earlier models. Has to do with the materials they are using. If you recall, post 2006 GSB1321M was softer then the earlier model. Lamiglas recently introduced the OS which is closer to the original but only in the 1321M and 1201M. The GSB1201L is the same post 2006 blank. There is no OS in the (L). The original Skinner rod was based on the early 1201L. The Skinner rod is now built on their 9'2" blank. If you want to tighten p the rod, have it built at 9'3" with the NGC. The smaller guides will make the rod crisper....

I built a new raw 1201L blank with the titanium torzite guides from a broken legend. The rod is very crisp. Love it so far. 

35 mins ago, ged said:

I built a new raw 1201L blank with the titanium torzite guides from a broken legend. The rod is very crisp. Love it so far. 

Any idea what the finished rod weighed with those guides, ged? I’m gonna have one built, and have had my eye on those guides. 

I do have the newer 9'2" version with the large "GSB" logo.

I like it better then the 9' Legend or Triumph I had, so I am really happy with it. 

Never fished the earlier blank to compare.

i've just purchased gsb 110 1ml 1piece blank. 

what size reel did you guys paired it with?

Original plan was to pair it with vsx150 but more i read about the reviews and guide chart from lami website, vsx250 seems like a better match. 

what do you guys think?

This is just one of those rods that I couldn't fathom as a two piece.  

When I first fished it, I loved it.  After fishing an uncut 1201L with NGC guides, I can see a benefit from having this rod crisped up with a new layout.  Maybe I'll have it rewrapped down the road, but all in all an excellent rod that I would not purchase if it were a 2 piece.