patfont

John Skinner Lamiglas Rod 2 Piece

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Saw the Lamiglas 2020 catalog and it now has the Skinner rod listed as a 2 piece option. Have not seen a pic, wonder how it would fish compared to the original. One of my vehicles is small so may be helpful.  

I don’t have any personal experience with it but if it is based on the GSB1202L blank, Lou Caruso (Redhawk) has previously stated that this blank is far inferior to the one price version.  Given how many rods he has built, I take his opinion very seriously. 

Just an aside, I have three of the Montauk  live eel special rod  ( Lamiglas GSB 1201L) custom built in different guide configuration. Conincidently, one of them of is the exact specs of the Skinner rod (GSB 120 1L cut 10” off butt- 9’2” overall length). I also have the new GSB John Skinner rod. I don’t know if it’s me but the new GSB Skinner rod feels different than the three older custom built rods. It seems more parabolic and ”tippier” than the custom MLESs? I do like the new Skinner Lami though. Does anyone else have the same experience? 

29 mins ago, VanStaalSteve said:

Just an aside, I have three of the Montauk  live eel special rod  ( Lamiglas GSB 1201L) custom built in different guide configuration. Conincidently, one of them of is the exact specs of the Skinner rod (GSB 120 1L cut 10” off butt- 9’2” overall length). I also have the new GSB John Skinner rod. I don’t know if it’s me but the new GSB Skinner rod feels different than the three older custom built rods. It seems more parabolic and ”tippier” than the custom MLESs? I do like the new Skinner Lami though. Does anyone else have the same experience? 

Nope :)

Skinner doesn't own 4 skinner rods. I built the new 1201L raw 9’ this season and love it.  

Itll be far inferior to the one piece. If I can fit a 9'2" rod diagonally in my girlfriends Mazda 2, itll fit in anything else lol. Not worth the drop in feel and performance.

20 mins ago, ged said:

Nope :)

Skinner doesn't own 4 skinner rods. I built the new 1201L raw 9’ this season and love it.  

What I’m saying is the the Lami Skinner rod feels different than the three previous custom 9’ GSB 120 1L rods that I had built in the ‘90 and early 2000s. 

39 mins ago, VanStaalSteve said:

What I’m saying is the the Lami Skinner rod feels different than the three previous custom 9’ GSB 120 1L rods that I had built in the ‘90 and early 2000s. 

Well wasnt the original GSB blank what they used in their Surf and Jetty rods as well? I only ask because I have their SJ 10 footers and the blanks are absolutely different than the current GSB offerings. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

The rods that I have are all Lami GSB 120 1Ls. Two are from the 1990s and one from the early 2000s. I bought the Skinner rod last summer. 

Its not a big deal. I was just wondering if anybody noticed a difference in the new Skinner Lami from older 120 1Ls that have been cut from the butt 10 to 12”? 

Edited by VanStaalSteve

On 7/13/2019 at 9:22 AM, patfont said:

Saw the Lamiglas 2020 catalog and it now has the Skinner rod listed as a 2 piece option. Have not seen a pic, wonder how it would fish compared to the original. One of my vehicles is small so may be helpful.  

I can categorically state the following...

1. John Skinner DOES NOT fish 2 piece rods.

2. The original John Skinner rod, although less expensive, was superior to the newer versions. 

How do I know? I fish with his older brother...

24 mins ago, Roccus7 said:

I can categorically state the following...

1. John Skinner DOES NOT fish 2 piece rods.

2. The original John Skinner rod, although less expensive, was superior to the newer versions. 

How do I know? I fish with his older brother...

As to point # 2. Why is it superior? Same blank ? Or different? 

The new version of the skinner Rod is softer then the earlier models. Has to do with the materials they are using. If you recall, post 2006 GSB1321M was softer then the earlier model. Lamiglas recently introduced the OS which is closer to the original but only in the 1321M and 1201M. The GSB1201L is the same post 2006 blank. There is no OS in the (L). The original Skinner rod was based on the early 1201L. The Skinner rod is now built on their 9'2" blank. If you want to tighten p the rod, have it built at 9'3" with the NGC. The smaller guides will make the rod crisper....

Edited by redhawk19

13 mins ago, redhawk19 said:

The new version of the skinner Rod is softer then the earlier models. Has to do with the materials they are using. If you recall, post 2006 GSB1321M was softer then the earlier model. Lamiglas recently introduced the OS which is closer to the original but only in the 1321M and 1201M. The GSB1201L is the same post 2006 blank. There is no OS in the (L). The original Skinner rod was based on the early 1201L. The Skinner rod is now built on their 9'2" blank. If you want to tighten p the rod, have it built at 9'3" with the NGC. The smaller guides will make the rod crisper....

Always love your take Lou, very informative! 

1 hour ago, redhawk19 said:

Thank you very much. I knew it was different. It’s still good though but not the preferred action of my older Montauk live eel specials.

Edited by VanStaalSteve