Rkfool

Can you fish wildwood beach

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

So for some reason me and the family are going to wildwood for the day. Makes no sense to me as we already live at the beach lol just a different one. I figure it will be crowded but are their jetties? Can you fish in between swimming areas? Just wondering if I should bring a rod and small bag or save the room in the car for other nonsense 

thanks!

I have been to Wildwood Crest every year in August for the past 10 years.  I see people fishing in the morning before the lifeguards get there but once they are there, no fishing.  Walking up and down the beach, I never see any fishermen, probably because it is all swimming or surfing sections.  Maybe in Wildwood or North Wildwood you can fish but someone may have to chime in on that.

Sounds like the wife is the brains behind this excursion. I know because this sounds like something my wife would plan. Bring the rod and make the most of it. But it sounds like that's what you were going to do anyway. I think doorgunner is the expert of that area and can set you up with everything you need or need to know.

Check out 2 Mile Beach at the southern end of WW. Big Coast Guard Station on the inlet and the entire beach is usually pretty empty since the land behind it is all CG. Long walk to the jetty but it's usually decent.

5 hours ago, adams54 said:

Sounds like the wife is the brains behind this excursion. I know because this sounds like something my wife would plan. Bring the rod and make the most of it. But it sounds like that's what you were going to do anyway. I think doorgunner is the expert of that area and can set you up with everything you need or need to know.

100% lol, I googled a bit and only found mentions of fishing not being aloud and it turns out we were carpooling with my sister and law and all 40 kids lol so no room for pole or gear. And fortunately the beach did not look worth the effort and was absolutely packed. Did see one cocktail blue swimming around and lots of people shrieking at the cow nose rays lol

Going to be in Wildwood in a couple weeks myself and was also wondering what the options might be. Open to move around- beach, jetties, back bays. Would probably go out early while everyone else still sleeping. 

Wildwood is pretty much a shallow sand flat. Can fish in the morning or night before lifeguards but waste of time unless you are looking for dogfish. North Wildwood Jetty or Capemay would be a better bet for fishing during the day.

Daytime: go all the way down to where @Nicky Da Fish suggested or all the way north up to the rocks along the inlet, and just left or right of the 2nd ave jetty. Otherwise fishing is offline until 5:30 when the guards go off duty.

With all that human activity, Morning & evening would be the only really worthwhile times to try anyway. 

Good luck to anyone trying to catch anything other than a skate or cownose in the surf there right now. 

Thanks for the responses. Looks like the jetties and inlets are the way to go. Any of you guys fish the back bays this time of year?

3 hours ago, rrocco said:

Thanks for the responses. Looks like the jetties and inlets are the way to go. Any of you guys fish the back bays this time of year?

Regularly with my kids. Can be dead or can be busy but the action has typically been in 30-60 minute windows so patience pays off. It’s getting very hot, and I’m not as optimistic about the shallow creeks, flats & lagoons as earlier in the season. 

On 7/17/2019 at 11:27 AM, rrocco said:

The person to ask about back bay action would be Doorgunner. He completely has a finger on the pulse and rents back bay boats. As to out front in Wildwood and Wildwood Crest, well, it ain't exactly Montauk Point when it comes to fishing. The beaches have been sanding in for decades and they are flat, gently-sloping surf environments. Yes, there are some troughs and cuts to be found but don't expect much in terms of structure.