saltygator

Van Staal vs Stella for surf

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Last week I decided to pick up a 6k Saragosa but after getting some local advice, I'm back to the drawing board. I realized the line capacity was too little for what I'm targeting off the beaches down here in Florida so now I'm looking for something in the 10k size. I think I've narrowed it down to a VR200 or Stella 10k. I'm likely going to buy either one used and will wait for a good deal to come up. 

 

I've been looking at a Stella for a long time now but I honestly have no reason to buy the inshore one, my Twinpower, Sustain, and Stradics get the job done so I see this as an opportunity to get a Stella. But I am worried about its durability after reading a few posts on here. Being a rookie fisherman, I just want to invest in something that not only gives me a nice fishing experience but will last me for a long time. I know the Van Staals are more catered towards surf fishing so that's why I'm considering them. I'm also considering maybe just settling for another Saragosa in the 10k size. My plans aren't to swim with the reels or put myself in any situation that will beat it up but I fish quite a bit and I can't always baby my gear. What do you guys think?

 

edit: forgot to mention what I'm using it for. I'm throwing big swim baits and plugs, maybe occasional live bait, for (hopefully) 100+ lb tarpon. Depending on how big of a reel I get, the rod will likely be my 8' pro blue but I'll pick up a 10' surf rod if it doesn't balance 

 

Edited by saltygator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Use the stella for that or maybe look at the high end diawa reels like the dog fight.  Both will be smoother than the VS.  But this is just from what I have read and saw.  Check out what the morning tide guys do to there reels catching monster GT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stella’s and saltiga s are nice but not necessary. A Saragossa 8000 or slammer 6500 are more than enough reel for that application. I’m not sure an 8ft pro blue is enough to fire baits out into the surf. That’s a broom stick of a rod that’s meant for a boat. I’d look at some of the new higher end surf rods rated for the weights your looking to throw.

id also stay away from the VR series reel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

     I've been fishing for tarpon in the Florida surf for a very long time, and I'd be in more of a hurry to replace that 8' loomis than the saragosa. You don't need a 10k.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like my VR125 and 150. If I drop my rod and reel in the sand I tighten the drag, rinse it off in the surf, go back to fishing. You can’t do that with a Stella! That being said if you are a rookie I’d wait and catch a few on your existing rig before investing unless you have a fair amount of discretionary income. Frankly it’s tempting to get what you think you need, with advice, before you actually catch but you truly won’t know till you do. Then would be the time to re-evaluate. IMHO and YMMV etc and so on...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, Local66 said:

 

     I've been fishing for tarpon in the Florida surf for a very long time, and I'd be in more of a hurry to replace that 8' loomis than the saragosa. You don't need a 10k.

I’m glad to see your response. I’ve read some of your older posts! What rod would you recommend and what’s the biggest I should go on reels? Only reason I wanted the 10k was because some locals said they had 14k after being spooled on the 10. With your strategy of keeping constant pressure on the fish, could I get away with smaller reels? Thanks.

 

I’ll definitely hold off on any of the high end stuff after everyone’s advice. I don’t have the disposable income and would have to move a bunch of gear to make it happen. 

3 hours ago, MikedNJ said:

Stella’s and saltiga s are nice but not necessary. A Saragossa 8000 or slammer 6500 are more than enough reel for that application. I’m not sure an 8ft pro blue is enough to fire baits out into the surf. That’s a broom stick of a rod that’s meant for a boat. I’d look at some of the new higher end surf rods rated for the weights your looking to throw.

id also stay away from the VR series reel. 

What’s wrong with the VR? 

 

 

 

Edited by saltygator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would personally recommend the Van Staal VSX. I like it a lot and it’s servint me well so far but unfortunately I have no experience with the other reels you mentioned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

could check out the new salt x? 375 dollars is drop in the bucket compared to a Stella. I wouldn’t recommend buying a Stella if you plan on surf fishing. Get a Saragossa an a tfo An call it good an go get some fish.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, saltygator said:

I’m glad to see your response. I’ve read some of your older posts! What rod would you recommend and what’s the biggest I should go on reels? Only reason I wanted the 10k was because some locals said they had 14k after being spooled on the 10. With your strategy of keeping constant pressure on the fish, could I get away with smaller reels? Thanks.

 

 

 

 

      I have a 10'6" and a 9', conditions dictate which I'll use on a given day. I have a torque 5 that I've been using for about 5-6 seasons, it holds about 400yds of 30lb invisibraid. I use artificials exclusively, range + the ability to cover water are important. I cover miles of beach when I fish, packing light is important. Water, flouro, plugs & pliers. That's all. 

     As for getting spooled/dumped, it'll happen if you let it. There's no shame in breaking off the occasional fish, it's as easy as pointing the rod at the fish and grabbing your spool. If you let yourself get spooled, you're out 50 bucks and you've almost certainly killed that fish. Everyone loses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 mins ago, Local66 said:

 

      I have a 10'6" and a 9', conditions dictate which I'll use on a given day. I have a torque 5 that I've been using for about 5-6 seasons, it holds about 400yds of 30lb invisibraid. I use artificials exclusively, range + the ability to cover water are important. I cover miles of beach when I fish, packing light is important. Water, flouro, plugs & pliers. That's all. 

     As for getting spooled/dumped, it'll happen if you let it. There's no shame in breaking off the occasional fish, it's as easy as pointing the rod at the fish and grabbing your spool. If you let yourself get spooled, you're out 50 bucks and you've almost certainly killed that fish. Everyone loses.

Sent you a PM, would love to learn more from you 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The VS is and acquired taste imo. It just feels different and unique as far as feel goes. That is just the way it is. The only way I could have been happy with one longterm was to switch all my reels over to VS’s. I hated switching back and forth from my vs200 back to just about any other reel. Eventually I just sold mine and moved on. I would suggest using one if you can or maybe buy a used one for a steep discount in case you ever want to sell it you might be able to break even. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This might be a stupid analogy, or maybe it's one that's been used before, but comparing a VSX to a Stella is kinda like comparing an old American muscle car to a Nissan GTR. They're completely different animals. And if that's not clear enough, reel them both for even 30 seconds and you'll see...reeling a VSX is like driving a car that doesn't have power steering...but it's bombproof, low tech, and easy to maintain...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mojua said:

This might be a stupid analogy, or maybe it's one that's been used before, but comparing a VSX to a Stella is kinda like comparing an old American muscle car to a Nissan GTR. They're completely different animals. And if that's not clear enough, reel them both for even 30 seconds and you'll see...reeling a VSX is like driving a car that doesn't have power steering...but it's bombproof, low tech, and easy to maintain...

You're absolutely right, I guess I just wanted to know which route to take. A VSX might be better for my surf applications but limited for other things and vice versa. I lucked out and found a Stella 10k that was used twice for <$400 locally yesterday and went for it, maybe not the best for surf but I think it'll get the job done. Now on to the search for a rod!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.