Angler #1

Houdini the Seal

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Now that more folks are fishing among the seals of late we often reflect upon a time when it was rare to see a seal in the canal and for the most part they were only the smaller harbor seal. They are the cutest by far and can be very enjoyable just watching them swimming around and then vanishing only to be seen again a short while later. I can recall a time while fishing the rocks of Nahant fishing for cod having a few harbor seals pop up and give us the eye ball and then back down below the water to reappear a little closer to us each time, until they were just under neath the ledge we were standing on . WE would pull a cod of size from the deeper water and have no problem getting onto the ledge . Houdini would [the name we gave one of them] simply appear to swim backwards and back down into the depths as he provided us with the morning entertainment each time we would fish the rocks of Nahant   . Never did he or any of his mates ever attempt to take our catch as was the case on the outer beaches with the huge seals that would make every attempt to take your catch , even to when the fish were well over 40 plus pounds and they were succesfull in about 96 percent of the cases, even if you ran backwards up towards the dunes they would swim out of the water and use there tail to catch up and take the fish , unless some one ran interference, which was a daring event as these suckers would and could use there teeth to bite. Give me my Houdini harbor seal any time , you can keep those grey seals in a locked pen some where

Someone posted some pictures on Facebook of a seal stealing a striper as the guy reeled it in.  I’d be surprised if he’s not on this sight. Maybe he will post them here 

I saw at least 40 gray seals lounging on the bar off town neck beach yesterday morning. Ironically in front of the Drunken Seal. Four huge males snout and tail in the air and dozens of females nose up sleeping. There was a scuba diver under his flag a couple hundred yards away. I don't think he was being "shark smart".

Sharek Smart.jpeg