HugeDinghy

Gooden

Rate this topic

74 posts in this topic

I was 9. I remember it but I’d have to google his numbers, to be honest. I remember the tailspin exclusively. 

20 mins ago, MikeM58 said:

He was so good early in his career.  The season of 86 he might have been the best I ever saw.  

Lifelong NYY fan here. Shea, on nights he was pitching from ‘84 to ‘86, was THE place to be. Electrifying amount of energy, even before they opened the gates. He was a meteor.

I’ll never forget the disappointment at the end of the parade, everyone was looking around, “where’s Doc?”.  Effing shame.

Posted (edited) · Report post

22 mins ago, charloots said:

Lifelong NYY fan here. Shea, on nights he was pitching from ‘84 to ‘86, was THE place to be. Electrifying amount of energy, even before they opened the gates. He was a meteor.

I’ll never forget the disappointment at the end of the parade, everyone was looking around, “where’s Doc?”.  Effing shame.

I don't remember which year (might have been '86) and he struck out all three guys he faced in the All-Star game on like 11 pitches.  He was a lot of fun to watch.

Update:  It was his rookie year in '84.  

Edited by MikeM58

21 mins ago, charloots said:

His peak was only 2 years? 

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

Rookie in 1984, pitched great in 85 and 86.  Better than average in 87 and then fell apart.  Styed in the league on and off into the early 1990's.

Edited by MikeM58

2 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

He came up in 84, they won the Series in 86. He missed the parade because he was effed up. He was never the same. He did get a perfect hame or no-hitter with the Yankees much later. But it was just different. Koufax didn’t last all that long either.

Just now, charloots said:

Koufax didn’t last all that long either.

But Koufax didn’t catch the coke and booze disease, he got hurt.