saltygator

Tarpon off the Beach

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Pardon me please, my post is getting way off topic, however, from the tackle shop, the old style early saragosa 5000 could switch spools. The newer one, the one that was re-designed to get rid of the wobble, will not interchange spools.

Regardless, if you have a hard running fish as the albies and big red drum and tarpon, the 5000 with braid should be fine. ( I've only caught the first two, so grain of salt suggested). 

I don't like a big heavy reel on my 10'  Loomis, the new saragosa 5 & 6 fit it perfectly. There is a thorough review of it vs penn slammer III on Tackle Adviser youtube channel. 

Drako is on the ground there, he knows. I won't know until I break off a few on the next trip. 

Edited by JTF

7 hours ago, JTF said:

Pardon me please, my post is getting way off topic, however, from the tackle shop, the old style early saragosa 5000 could switch spools. The newer one, the one that was re-designed to get rid of the wobble, will not interchange spools.

Regardless, if you have a hard running fish as the albies and big red drum and tarpon, the 5000 with braid should be fine. ( I've only caught the first two, so grain of salt suggested). 

I don't like a big heavy reel on my 10'  Loomis, the new saragosa 5 & 6 fit it perfectly. There is a thorough review of it vs penn slammer III on Tackle Adviser youtube channel. 

Drako is on the ground there, he knows. I won't know until I break off a few on the next trip. 

I think the spools might be able to switch but I ended up trading out my saragosa 5k for a 10k stella. Over on the east coast I think you'll need at least 300-400 yards of braid if you want to fish for tarpon from shore on the beach. Big 100lb+ tarpon can easily rip off 200-300 yards of line on the initial run, I haven't caught one either but I knew local guys who did and some still got spooled using 8-10k reels. Here's a video of a guy with 500 yards of 50# braid on his Daiwa Saltist 6500 and almost got spooled. I think a 6500 Daiwa might be comparable to a 14k or 18k Shimano 

Usually I'm a light tackle guy but for this application I think I want to beef up to make sure I land the fish safely too.

Just my two cents, you can hit these fish any way you want. I took my father fishing Thursday night, I hooked up two on an 8' plug rod with a 5k sustain on it. They were large fish that could have dumped that reel any time they felt like it. I played for 5-10 minutes, then broke them off. Yesterday I had some time to myself, fish were distant, and your typical weekend kooks were out in force, so I brought bigger gear. I have 400yds of 30lb on this rig and I'm not willing to go heavier. It's not enough for all of them. I still pick fights I can't win, which is what it's all about in my opinion. Fish what you want, but after 15 minutes, if you still haven't turned that fish, you need to break them off. If you're killing fish to stroke your own ego, you don't want to get caught doing it around me.

IMG_0887(1).jpg

7 hours ago, Local66 said:

Just my two cents, you can hit these fish any way you want. I took my father fishing Thursday night, I hooked up two on an 8' plug rod with a 5k sustain on it. They were large fish that could have dumped that reel any time they felt like it. I played for 5-10 minutes, then broke them off. Yesterday I had some time to myself, fish were distant, and your typical weekend kooks were out in force, so I brought bigger gear. I have 400yds of 30lb on this rig and I'm not willing to go heavier. It's not enough for all of them. I still pick fights I can't win, which is what it's all about in my opinion. Fish what you want, but after 15 minutes, if you still haven't turned that fish, you need to break them off. If you're killing fish to stroke your own ego, you don't want to get caught doing it around me.

IMG_0887(1).jpg

Absolutely agree with you. Haven’t had a chance to go out recently but I’m gonna spend Friday looking for them. Just bought some plugs (yo zuri hydro minnow, mag darter, mirrolure 85m) and replacement hooks so I’ll see if I can hook up this weekend. 

4 hours ago, saltygator said:

Absolutely agree with you. Haven’t had a chance to go out recently but I’m gonna spend Friday looking for them. Just bought some plugs (yo zuri hydro minnow, mag darter, mirrolure 85m) and replacement hooks so I’ll see if I can hook up this weekend. 

I hope you get one. I had an army of kooks on my beach this afternoon, even had a pair of kayakers paddling back and forth through the bait pods. 

This past month in the gulf there were hundreds hooked from piers mainly but most run 8 '6 to 9ft rods   and reel size 5ks to vs 200 's mainly I ran 400 yards of 40lb  with a 3ft 40lb flouro  leader to a 2 to 4 oz hogy and had my fair share of fun ... we mainly hook them get em to the pylons and let em go... trying  to beach normally  puts too much stress on the fish and some don't make it ... we mainly see 80 to 120lbers every now and then you get those 140s 

20190624_141712.jpg

20190624_094230.jpg

20190701_135905.jpg

20190701_140204.jpg

6 hours ago, Trey B said:

This past month in the gulf there were hundreds hooked from piers mainly but most run 8 '6 to 9ft rods   and reel size 5ks to vs 200 's mainly I ran 400 yards of 40lb  with a 3ft 40lb flouro  leader to a 2 to 4 oz hogy and had my fair share of fun ... we mainly hook them get em to the pylons and let em go... trying  to beach normally  puts too much stress on the fish and some don't make it ... we mainly see 80 to 120lbers every now and then you get those 140s 

20190624_141712.jpg

20190624_094230.jpg

20190701_135905.jpg

20190701_140204.jpg

Do you just break it off at the piling or how do you unhook them? That’s awesome though!

7 hours ago, saltygator said:

Do you just break it off at the piling or how do you unhook them? That’s awesome though!

Yea mainly all the hooks aren't stainless  so they'll  rust out in 2 weeks time .. if your lucky you can lift up the  head and then free spool  and itll knock the hook out

I have not been following this thread but wanted to dump this here - Minnow migration has hit the Jensen Beach and Stuart beaches and there are hundreds of tarpon up there. Friend on Instagram says over 1,000 tarpon to 115 pounds off of Stuart beaches. I can’t get there but if you can, the sunrise bit is about 75 minutes but the sunset bites is supposed to be like 3 hours.