saltygator

Tarpon off the Beach

Rate this topic

59 posts in this topic

What kind of setups do you guys use when fishing for tarpon from shore on the beach? What lures do you like to use? I was thinking a 10k stella or saragosa w/ 50# braid and a 10' surf rod. Should I go up or will this be ok? 

Tarpons can be a pain at times, and thats when you target them LOL....and as far as setup go, keep it light ....You don't need to break the bank... but if your heart and budget is in it... get something that's meant to handled sand and salt... like the Van Stall series...and no i don't have one... i would keep the model in the 8000 size... . and i also use 40/50 braid in the surf and a long leader....and as far as lures go...match what's out there...and keep them simple, don't go crazy and buy every lure that people will be posting...match the lure to the setup you will be using and then have faith in it.... depending on the lure... you can do many things with them....I always believe its how you work the lure that makes them strike....in other words its the person and not the lure/setup that makes things work... stick with one and have faith in it.... and don't worry about joe blow telling you that a certain type of lure was catching them like crazy...Why? because what works today might not work tomorrow... Use the KISS system and you will enjoy your time on the water alot better..... i wish someone would've told me the same thing when i first started...LOL...Good luck and keep us posted:howdy:

4 mins ago, Drako said:

Tarpons can be a pain at times, and thats when you target them LOL....and as far as setup go, keep it light ....You don't need to break the bank... but if your heart and budget is in it... get something that's meant to handled sand and salt... like the Van Stall series...and no i don't have one... i would keep the model in the 8000 size... . and i also use 40/50 braid in the surf and a long leader....and as far as lures go...match what's out there...and keep them simple, don't go crazy and buy every lure that people will be posting...match the lure to the setup you will be using and then have faith in it.... depending on the lure... you can do many things with them....I always believe its how you work the lure that makes them strike....in other words its the person and not the lure/setup that makes things work... stick with one and have faith in it.... and don't worry about joe blow telling you that a certain type of lure was catching them like crazy...Why? because what works today might not work tomorrow... Use the KISS system and you will enjoy your time on the water alot better..... i wish someone would've told me the same thing when i first started...LOL...Good luck and keep us posted:howdy:

Thanks for the wise words man!! You're absolutely right, I recently set my eyes on a stella just because I think I can move some of my gear I don't use and invest in one but not sure if I really need it. I think a saragosa will do the job just fine. I'm kind of torn about it, just want the best bang for my buck. What kind of set up do you normally use? Have you used van staal? 

Not an expert but you will will want a light set up and you will be catching most fish close to shore. East coast or West coast. If you are strictly gonna be fishing sand.  Are you targetting monsters? 10- 50+ fish can be caught on light spinning outfits.  4000 size reels 20# braid 30-50# leader   i have a stella 4000 and VS 150 and fish em on 8 and 9ft rods. I throw small swimmers like yozuri and rapalas with upgraded hardware, rubber with jig heads to 1/2oz. 

1 min ago, beatonem said:

Not an expert but you will will want a light set up and you will be catching most fish close to shore. East coast or West coast. If you are strictly gonna be fishing sand.  Are you targetting monsters? 10- 50+ fish can be caught on light spinning outfits.  4000 size reels 20# braid 30-50# leader   i have a stella 4000 and VS 150 and fish em on 8 and 9ft rods. I throw small swimmers like yozuri and rapalas with upgraded hardware, rubber with jig heads to 1/2oz. 

East coast! I'd like to target a monster but honestly I'm going to be covering a lot of grounds on the beaches and just cast at schools of fish so I don't know what I'll hook up on, especially during the mullet run. As of right now that's my plan but I wasn't fishing around this time last year so I'm still learning.

Do you fish east or west coast? I know on the west guys usually use lighter set ups. I've asked around on the east and guys are using 10k and up with 10-11' rods but I'm just seeing what I can get away with. I'm trying to save money so I'm searching around for used gear too 

Posted (edited) · Report post

if you are fishing during the mullet run you’ll want to match the hatch with big swimbaits like hogy or tsunami or storm. here on the gulf coast off the piers we throw 3 or 4 oz prerigged swimbaits with 8-9 ft rods and a reel to match with lots of line capacity. also live pilchards

Edited by Badtothebugs

1 hour ago, Badtothebugs said:

if you are fishing during the mullet run you’ll want to match the hatch with big swimbaits like hogy or tsunami or storm. here on the gulf coast off the piers we throw 3 or 4 oz prerigged swimbaits with 8-9 ft rods and a reel to match with lots of line capacity. also live pilchards

That's exactly what I was planning. With an 8-9 ft rod can you normally get your lure/bait out far enough? I was debating on a longer rod for casting distance but I definitely would like to stick with my 8' g loomis pro blue

3 hours ago, saltygator said:

East coast! I'd like to target a monster but honestly I'm going to be covering a lot of grounds on the beaches and just cast at schools of fish so I don't know what I'll hook up on, especially during the mullet run. As of right now that's my plan but I wasn't fishing around this time last year so I'm still learning.

Do you fish east or west coast? I know on the west guys usually use lighter set ups. I've asked around on the east and guys are using 10k and up with 10-11' rods but I'm just seeing what I can get away with. I'm trying to save money so I'm searching around for used gear too 

West coast.  Have fun.

I have never own a Van stall, but have use one and as far as setup go....it all depends on where i'm and what i'm trying to target...also bigger lures will require a bigger setup... plus the areas you are fishing... big open beach with no inlet, a light strong setup> 7ft rod/3000 to 4000 size reel... loaded with 30lb braid will handled most gamefish out there...get next to an inlet with a strong current and bigger fish... that's when I pull out the 8000... I tend to fish more inlets by the rocks so you will always see me if with 8000 and 9ft rod...plus I fish at nite and that's when the Monsters like to cruise closer to shore:eek:....Don't over think it...oh and yes the saragosa  is a great choice IMO...now you have to decide what size will work for you...get something that will work in other areas also...unless you other gear :howdy: 

1 hour ago, Drako said:

I have never own a Van stall, but have use one and as far as setup go....it all depends on where i'm and what i'm trying to target...also bigger lures will require a bigger setup... plus the areas you are fishing... big open beach with no inlet, a light strong setup> 7ft rod/3000 to 4000 size reel... loaded with 30lb braid will handled most gamefish out there...get next to an inlet with a strong current and bigger fish... that's when I pull out the 8000... I tend to fish more inlets by the rocks so you will always see me if with 8000 and 9ft rod...plus I fish at nite and that's when the Monsters like to cruise closer to shore:eek:....Don't over think it...oh and yes the saragosa  is a great choice IMO...now you have to decide what size will work for you...get something that will work in other areas also...unless you other gear :howdy: 

I currently have a 5k saragosa but you’re right, I think upgrading to an 8k would allow me to fish more areas! Thanks for the help 

No prob...Remember it always comes down to "Do I need it, or do I just want it" …. I have high opinions on going too light.... I hate burning up a fish... I rather get it in as soon as possible and give a chance to fight another day...or worst yet, have one rip off line and snap me off taking everything with it.. :beatin:….too many folks are in it to say "LOOK AT ME" and posting pictures with a burn up fish that they caught with a silly little setup...yea I know it's just a fish... long gone are the days when Most fishermen didn't say anything and if they did it was to same mindset people...damn it I have gone off the rails again..LOL good luck..Oh try to avoid surfers and bathers, they are worst then the weeds at times...

16 hours ago, saltygator said:

That's exactly what I was planning. With an 8-9 ft rod can you normally get your lure/bait out far enough? I was debating on a longer rod for casting distance but I definitely would like to stick with my 8' g loomis pro blue

I have a 9 ft graphite rod with cabo 80 and can cast a 4oz hogy a long ways. Is there any piers in your area to get you out closer to them?

7 hours ago, Badtothebugs said:

I have a 9 ft graphite rod with cabo 80 and can cast a 4oz hogy a long ways. Is there any piers in your area to get you out closer to them?

Our pier up here was damaged by a hurricane and hasn’t been fixed since. I think I’m going to go for a 10.5’ surf rod for the casting distance! I usually drive around Florida to fish though so hopefully with this set up I get some chances to go to new places to fish 

I have a couple older out of production Loomis, probably replaced by a similar blank/build in their line similar to what you have in the blue water.

I haven't caught a tarpon in the surf, but some BIG drum in surf and inshore with my favorite spinning rod. LR844 7ft has landed several+ 40-50" drum. My next longer rod tires my shoulders out casting much and it doesn't have the stiff tip, but it will trow twice as far, SUR 1264 10'6". I'm going to bring down just three rods, the other being an old MUR 864 with extra handle length, it's casting with level wind and is about 8ft but it handles up to 40lb line, it's an old purple muskie blank stiff tip for jigging.

Have been using 4000f series stradics with braid, almost 270yrds, it's the drag that counts imo. Have looked at changing them out for the sargosa 6000, they feel almost like the stradic 4000f  with more line capacity.  If your arms and shoulders can take it, move up to a bigger reel, but it is all in the drag and the line/knots/hooks. Can't imagine a tarpon would pull any more line off than a 50"+ bull drum, but I may be wrong, (that happens more and more often, haha). 

Don't like to overplay a big fish, may be wrong about this too,  I'm not fond of dragging them up on the sand, a lot of stress on the fish. Had a fishing partner that got mad when I didn't snap his victory picture cradling a huge old drum...we don't speak any more.