flylikabird

Major League Baseball Robot Umpires

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

The belt has been the top of the MLB strike zone for as long as I have been watching baseball (mid 70s), and probably longer than that...

6 mins ago, Finster said:

The belt has been the top of the MLB strike zone for as long as I have been watching baseball (mid 70s), and probably longer than that...

Been seeing many umps call the high strike (belt to letters) this year.

Must have been a mandate from the league front office.

Posted (edited) · Report post

http://m.mlb.com/glossary/rules/strike-zone

Can a vision system -a.k.a. robot- adjust to this for every batter?  And adjust for every pitch?

(One of my pet peeves with the "homies" that wear their pants to the ground is, how does an ump know where your knees are?  How will a vision system know?)  

Edited by Jettyhound

On 7/15/2019 at 0:30 PM, Finster said:

Nope

18 mins ago, Bob fishhead Sproul said:

Will they be able to duck when the pitcher goes headhunting? 

At least the ump won't be the target. I've known catchers to "drop" the glove :laugh:

Posted (edited) · Report post

8 mins ago, Joe said:

At least the ump won't be the target. I've known catchers to "drop" the glove :laugh:

Hey maybe a player spits and causes the ump to have a blind spot on his camera :)

Then the pitcher gets revenge for a missed call of a strike 

Edited by Bob fishhead Sproul

IMO, there will be a drastic increase in walks, thus slowing down the game that much more. My reasoning is that umpires are human and human nature combined with an understanding of the game and how it should move along, allow the umpire to call more borderline pitches strikes instead of balls. And the count, score and inning also play a role. If all you folks believe that umps don't manage games your fooling yourself. I umpired up to collegiate level for over 20 years, I had my strike zone which was big, players/coaches had no issue as long as you were consistent. Some umps are pitchers umps (me) where if its close its a strike unless its strike 3, then its gotta' be a no doubter. I hated working with guys that were hitters umps, unless it was right down the middle at waist height they called almost everything a ball. I wasn't looking for a 3-4 hour game. I never believed I was one of the main reasons why a game was or lost unless the last play of the game was a blown call, that happens but I tried to be fair and honest and never favored anyone, fans believe that there are make up calls for blown calls, never, all you do there is compound the bad call by correcting human error with human error. Most MLB umps are very good to terrific at judgement calls, anyone can be second guessed by slow motion high resolution cameras.

You start a robot ump with electronic strike zones and you'll be watching a walk fest. I was known as "Boardwalk Blue" cuz' I used to tell them if you wanna walk go to the boardwalk, this is a hitters league. So, before games even started players and managers knew that they best come up swinging cuz' if they walked they would need to earn it. I also believed that players/coaches and even fans appreciate an umpire that doesn't want to be the center of attention and that can keep the flow of the game going. Pitchers that take excessive amounts of time are the biggest contributors to losing that flow, batters you could control better by not giving time so easily and keeping them in the batters box between pitches. Easier to deal verbally with hitters too, pitchers are always pissed off and looking  for an argument. The hitters develop habits hitting in cages and BP that between pitches they establish a routine, otherwise its just swinging away and they can't analyze their swing as well. That takes up time, they gotta put their batting glove on and off, scratch their arse, tap their helmet, and then get set.  Kind of like hitting golf balls at a range, if you don't step away between whacks, you can't learn a thing trying to hit the fence on every shot.

For those that believe that all calls should be the same regardless of count, score, inning etc. are kidding yourselves, 3 hour games will be 4.