flylikabird

Major League Baseball Robot Umpires

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

They're talking about Robo Umps and I think they were even tested during the All-Star Game.   Balls and Strikes would be uniform all through out the strike zone with consistency if they eliminated the human errors.

I don't like it!

What do you think?

5d28db377ae2e_RobotUmpires2019.jpg.0677f5ef4f06102d29e6538c56f452be.jpg

Edited by flylikabird

If they had robo-players that could speed the game up and make it more interesting, like Cyberball, I'd be interested.  

Robo Umps is a stupid idea. I would be for the league penalizing and/or demoting certain Umps who obviously suck at their one job. No idea how Hernadez is still employed in MLB.

Im all for the robots  and make the strike zone bigger, 20% bigger, Players will swing more.

Speed up the game.

Professional tennis has been using a robot (Cyclops) since 2007 for line calls, out calls and serves.......Including in major championships such as Wimbledon.

Cyclops is a computer system co-invented by the British inventor Bill Carlton of Great Britain and Margaret Parnis England of Malta,[1] which is used on the ATP and WTA professional tennis tours as an electronic line judge to help determine whether a serve is in or out.

The system, which must be activated by the service line umpire before each serve, projects five or six infra-red horizontal beams of light along the court 10 mm above the ground. One beam covers the good (short) side of the service line and others cover the fault (long) side. If a served ball hits the first beam, the other beams are turned off, while a long serve will break one of the other beams. A long serve is indicated by an audible signal. Obvious long serves that go beyond Cyclops' beams are called by the service line umpire. The system is tuned before and during each tournament by a representative of the company which rents the system. This representative stays through the tournament and confers with tournament officials afterwards to determine any problems which may have arisen. The system has been constantly refined to improve accuracy, although no statistics on its efficacy are available.[2][3]

The Cyclops computer system was introduced to the Wimbledon Championships in 1980 and the U.S. Open in 1981, and was also used at the Australian Open. In 2007 it was removed from Wimbledon's Centre Court and Court No. 1 to allow the use of the Hawk-Eye system first introduced at the U.S. Open in 2006.[4] At the present time Cyclops is not used in any capacity at any of the Grand Slam events.

15 hours ago, MitchellNJ said:

Robo Umps is a stupid idea. I would be for the league penalizing and/or demoting certain Umps who obviously suck at their one job. No idea how Hernadez is still employed in MLB.

Explain again why you want human umpires? These guys get paid close quite a bit 

Major League umpires begin at $120,000 annually, and seasoned umpires can earn as much as $450,000. Benefits, travel expenses and daily per diem add to the compensation package.

About time. With todays tech balls and strikes will be consistently called, not the exact same pitch being called a ball one time and a strike the next. Watched way too many games with horrific home plate pitching calls., some off the plates by 1/2'. A baseball game can easily be won or lost with a bad call in the right situation. 

4 hours ago, iphish said:

Major League umpires begin at $120,000 annually, and seasoned umpires can earn as much as $450,000. Benefits, travel expenses and daily per diem add to the compensation package.

Because it's part of the game. I don't mind skewed boxes so long as it's fair for both teams. I don't see it adding any time to a game. Any more than 8 foul balls does.

6 hours ago, iphish said:

Why would you care how much umps make?

21 hours ago, MitchellNJ said:

He is THE argument for robo umps. 

19 hours ago, fjr419 said:

Why would you care how much umps make?

Care?  Simply pointing out  that this is a highly paid professional position and a position at times that is highly controversial & subjective.

I had to laugh the other night watching the Sox Dodgers game.

That strike zone box that they put in to show balls and strikes had the top of the zone at the hitters belt line.