Fishing Spies: Spot Burning Scum or All In The Game?

Rate this topic

707steelnstripe

Fishing spies are becoming more and more of a problem with the spread of digital technology leading to the spread of fishing intelligence and spot burning and spot hogging. 

I heard an interesting fishing spy story the other day. A guy headed into the Everglades to his favorite tarpon spot and passed a very large private yacht on his way. The next day when this guy got back to his money spot, the private yacht's skiff was there. They had followed him on their radar and plotted his course through the Everglades maze! That is some serious spying! 

I lucked into a parking lot spot no one fishes this year. Everyone parks and then walks a mile out to a spot that is sort of the "received wisdom fishing hole". So I am trying to keep it to myself and not be ruined by the jokers. Well other day two guys pass me and I have fish on. I open the bail and pretend like I'm fishing live bait. They stop and stare at their feet about 200 feet away but I know--they are monitoring me, want to gather intelligence. So they leave. I lose my lure on next fish and have to go back to my rig. Walk about 100 feet and suddenly the two spies appear coming through the bushes on a bee line to where I was fishing. No fishing rods. They were coming out to do some fishing spying on my old ass. 

I ain't got time for that. 

I walked through the bushes myself and hid until they left.

I hate fishing spies. 

6 mins ago, The Zen Master said:

Finding a productive place to fish does not boil down to ownership of it.

But that is separate issue, yes? When the two spies show up to fish alongside me one evening, I'm not going to try to intimidate them or tell them to get lost. It's their ocean, too. But spying on people to get their fishing spots--do you approve of that kind of scumbag behavior? Trying to slink up behind someone's back to find out if they have a spot you can ruin? This meets with your approval?

Many spies will call all their friends to tell them the great spot they found as if it belonged to them and there werent other anglers who will be crowded out by the sudden crush of rabid out-of-towners. It's a lack of respect for the regulars and others who put in the work to find or learn a spot. 

Its a free country and no one owns the fish.

On the other hand, I think there should be a 10-year moratorium on all recreational and commercial salt water fishing along the east coast, except for Sea Robins, and then a 1-fish under 28-inch possession limit, and a $5,000 fine and loss of salt water fishing privilege for life for violators.

Maybe our grandchildren will have a fish or two to catch...

Edited by The Zen Master

Those who know, do not talk; those who talk, do not know. - Tao Te Ching 56

Defeat exists only in the minds of defeated men, and I will never be one of them.

22 mins ago, The Zen Master said:

Its a free country and no one owns the fish.

On the other hand, I think there should be a 10-year moratorium on all recreational and commercial salt water fishing along the east coast, except for Sea Robins, and then a 1-fish under 28-inch possession limit, and a $5,000 fine and loss of salt water fishing privilege for life for violators.

Maybe our grandchildren will have a fish or two to catch...

No exceptions. 

4 mins ago, 707steelnstripe said:

I agree but I don't see how the freedom of the seas equates to freedom to spy and steal fishing knowledge. Fishing is free but knowledge must be earned...or stolen by spies. 

...big destroyer. Here it comes again!

1 hour ago, Paul E said:

...big destroyer. Here it comes again!

Don't follow this reference. Kinks Song? That's about cocaine much like the J.J. Cale-penned Eric Clapton hit, which led to the second wave in his career, a little ditty named "Cocaine". You were talking about drugs later so I'm guessing this comment has something to do with cocaine as evidently you are into drugs, like so many hippies in their later years...

3 mins ago, Drew C. said:

This is not new. People have been following people for their spots forever. 

Yeah but the consequences of spying is sort of worse dese days due to digital media deal. People love nothing more than braodcasting good fishing and bringing the airborne onto the beach, bayoneting all the innocent regulars who hurt no one, bothered no one, smiled and waved, but were too trustworthy and friendly to the scumbag spies. 

36 mins ago, 707steelnstripe said:

Don't follow this reference. Kinks Song? That's about cocaine much like the J.J. Cale-penned Eric Clapton hit, which led to the second wave in his career, a little ditty named "Cocaine". You were talking about drugs later so I'm guessing this comment has something to do with cocaine as evidently you are into drugs, like so many hippies in their later years...

You sound like you need to join in with those hippies...