baldwin

spinning rod for kayak stripers

25 posts in this topic

What is your favorite spinning rod/reel for kayak fishing for stripers (plugging)? The search function takes me all over the place, except where I want to go, and there have been new products on the market since the last similar thread. I use conventional for jigging and trolling, need a good spinning setup for casting lures.

8 mins ago, baldwin said:

What is your favorite spinning rod/reel for kayak fishing for stripers (plugging)? The search function takes me all over the place, except where I want to go, and there have been new products on the market since the last similar thread. I use conventional for jigging and trolling, need a good spinning setup for casting lures.

What's your budget? The 2019 Shimano Terez looks very promising...

I love my Tsunami 5 Star 7 foot Med ... paired with a Penn Spinfisher VI 4500/20# Braid. Under $150 all told. The rod has been with me for 5 seasons. Throws small plugs with ease. Great fight and can handle larger fish. Waiting to get a 20# bass on this.

1 hour ago, CharlieB said:

I'm a big fan of St Croix Tidemasters.

ill have to check these out. im a big st. croix fan. they make great rods and at the right price. 

How long are the butt ends on these rods?  I use a 7' TICA now, but I find the but end to be longer than I'd like for sitting in the kayak.  I've been looking for something short so my hands and shoulders are more comfortable.

2 hours ago, great_white_hunter said:

How long are the butt ends on these rods?  I use a 7' TICA now, but I find the but end to be longer than I'd like for sitting in the kayak.  I've been looking for something short so my hands and shoulders are more comfortable.

depending on the model, 10-16"

On 7/12/2019 at 1:46 PM, jeffreyrichard said:

I love my Tsunami 5 Star 7 foot Med ... paired with a Penn Spinfisher VI 4500/20# Braid. Under $150 all told. The rod has been with me for 5 seasons. Throws small plugs with ease. Great fight and can handle larger fish. Waiting to get a 20# bass on this.

Do you mean including the rod and braid? Sounds pretty low to me. I have a pair of Spinfisher V 4500, one a LL, and I'm pretty happy with them.

7 foot Daiwa Saltist Back Bay Northeast, 15lb Powerpro V2 on a Stradic FK 4000. Or cheaper end of the rods would be a Tsunami 5 Star. I've got 3, and I cant kill them. 

13 hours ago, gellfex said:

Do you mean including the rod and braid? Sounds pretty low to me. I have a pair of Spinfisher V 4500, one a LL, and I'm pretty happy with them.

Yes ... picked up the Spinfisher from Walmart a few month's ago ... $110 ... the rod was $29 5 years ago ... best $29 dollars I ever spent

5 hours ago, Steve_M said:

Good rod. Cut some of the but off or take it to a rod builder and have them do it. It won’t cost to much

I assume you are talking about my Tsunami 5 Star (maybe not ...) ... I don't find the butt length to be a problem at all ... what do you gain by cutting it down?

Posted (edited) · Report post

7 ft St. Croix Mojo Inshore paired with a Diawa BG 3500 would be perfect

Edited by Jimo95
Spelling