bob_G

My canal surface strike of the year

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Matt A. Poisett said:

Started fishing Herring Cove, at first I had 1 seal following me, then 3,20 minutes later must have been 25+,,,I sat down on the beach and keeped the rod low. They dissapeared quickly, 10 minutes later I started again,,,so did they.   I'm convinced that they're following the rod!

Unfortunately they are pretty smart creatures. :banghd:

My girlfriend & I and some friends are on vacation this week on the Vineyard. Yesterday at South Beach there was a seal swimming back & forth about 40 yards out. I lost my urge to go for my usual extended swim once I saw the seal. :waiting:

On 7/12/2019 at 4:59 PM, bob_G said:

Hot, steamy night tide last night.  FAC. Cast a 2oz jig, watching as my slack line settled on the dark waters like a snake.  Waited for my jig to hit bottom. Saw the telltale thump as the jig found bottom. As I mended my line to take up the slack, I saw a large v wake headed directly where my line entered the water.  In a nano second I felt a sudden tug and massive explosion, followed by several seconds of thrashing, and then it was over.  A huge gray seal sufaced, and swam directly into my line. My line just touching his back completely freaked him out. He practically came out of the water in the process. It didn't bother him all that much since he swam around in front of us the remained of the tide being an annoyance.

Guys on the Outer Beach have been saying for years that they've figured out that fishermen means a potential easy meal, after they hook up. They practically stalk fishermen on the beach. You move, they move with you.

47 mins ago, Ditch Jigger said:

Guys on the Outer Beach have been saying for years that they've figured out that fishermen means a potential easy meal, after they hook up. They practically stalk fishermen on the beach. You move, they move with you.

Amen to that!

On 7/12/2019 at 9:41 PM, TBYRD said:

Are there any reported seal  "attacks" on humans?

Given their size and the hardware they have in that pitbull muzzle, one would think they are capable of the occasional aggression bite...

20190712_214110.jpg

A couple people got bit last year at Ryders cove where people had been feeding leftover macks to a few seals that hang around the marina.   The seals would take them right from peoples hands... and the 

I've fished Race Point from shore and had a group of seals stop to watch in case I hooked up and when I didn't they moved on to the next person casting. Soon another pod of seals would show up and do the same.

Posted (edited) · Report post

This was passed last year on the West coast...Oregon, Washington and Idaho. I wonder why the Wildlife officials in New England don't do a study on our seal population.

U.S. Congress OKs killing sea lions to help save salmom

Wildlife officials say seal lion populations have grown so large they no longer need 1972-enacted protections.

In other news.........

People Keep Killing Sea Lions...In the last three months, 13 dead sea lions have washed ashore at Puget Sound, near Seattle, Washington.

On a side note....

Are Seals getting you down? Having problems catching that PB striper, to show off to friends and family on social media? We have the answer... Seal Busters! (call now 1-800-pinniped). One seal or 101 seals, doesn't matter, we aim to please (a bit of satire here, don't get all bent out of shape now).

hunting-africa10.jpg.2877e20ece49c0d5e366f6695b89b682.jpg

images.jpg.7262aa27b64962839aa4cb41f03635b6.jpg

Edited by TimS
links removed

On 7/13/2019 at 6:35 AM, Matt A. Poisett said:

Started fishing Herring Cove, at first I had 1 seal following me, then 3,20 minutes later must have been 25+,,,I sat down on the beach and keeped the rod low. They dissapeared quickly, 10 minutes later I started again,,,so did they.   I'm convinced that they're following the rod!

They're smart enough to do that.