bob_G

My canal surface strike of the year

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hot, steamy night tide last night.  FAC. Cast a 2oz jig, watching as my slack line settled on the dark waters like a snake.  Waited for my jig to hit bottom. Saw the telltale thump as the jig found bottom. As I mended my line to take up the slack, I saw a large v wake headed directly where my line entered the water.  In a nano second I felt a sudden tug and massive explosion, followed by several seconds of thrashing, and then it was over.  A huge gray seal sufaced, and swam directly into my line. My line just touching his back completely freaked him out. He practically came out of the water in the process. It didn't bother him all that much since he swam around in front of us the remained of the tide being an annoyance.

Edited by bob_G

"Status
To manage gray seals in U.S. waters, we have grouped them into a western North Atlantic stock. Our scientists are not currently able to estimate the number of seals in this stock. 

Learn more about our estimates for population size in our stock assessment reports.

Protected Status
MMPA Protected
Throughout Its Range"

Edited by GuiltyAsCharged

What would an M-80 stuffed mackerel do in this situation?   I mean it's still July right?  One could say some good-for-nothin-washashore-teenagers ran by!   

Wednesday night I had an encounter with possibly the same disgruntled seal. I waded out thigh deep after a few casts, I hear hard angry nostril breathing. He headed straight for me. I slapped my rod on the water for some reason, seemed like good idea at the time. He did not like that. He quicken the pace and the breathing got heavier as I scrambled back up the rocks. He stopped at the edge of the shelf, stared for a few seconds, then made a monsterous spash and was gone.

Edited by Pescador710

The seal situation is out of control. 

I've never seen this many grey seals in canal waters. And the problem is only going to get worse. I have no hope for any resolution until, perhaps, multiple bathers per year are killed in cape waters. But given the extreme rarity of GW attacks on humans, I'm not sure we ever reach the mark where the seals become "the public's problem" as well

9 hours ago, bob_G said:

Hot, steamy night tide last night.  FAC. Cast a 2oz jig, watching as my slack line settled on the dark waters like a snake.  Waited for my jig to hit bottom. Saw the telltale thump as the jig found bottom. As I mended my line to take up the slack, I saw a large v wake headed directly where my line entered the water.  In a nano second I felt a sudden tug and massive explosion, followed by several seconds of thrashing, and then it was over.  A huge gray seal sufaced, and swam directly into my line. My line just touching his back completely freaked him out. He practically came out of the water in the process. It didn't bother him all that much since he swam around in front of us the remained of the tide being an annoyance.

Sounds like my reaction when a piece of seaweed brushes my leg when standing in the water.

35 mins ago, FoliFish said:

Sounds like my reaction when a piece of seaweed brushes my leg when standing in the water.

Or when a male horseshoe crab thinks your foot is a female...

Are there any reported seal  "attacks" on humans?

Given their size and the hardware they have in that pitbull muzzle, one would think they are capable of the occasional aggression bite...

20190712_214110.jpg

1 hour ago, Roccus7 said:

Or when a male horseshoe crab thinks your foot is a female...

I legit got thumped in the hip by a floating log once. Screamed like an 8yrold girl. I thought the gig was up!

Started fishing Herring Cove, at first I had 1 seal following me, then 3,20 minutes later must have been 25+,,,I sat down on the beach and keeped the rod low. They dissapeared quickly, 10 minutes later I started again,,,so did they.   I'm convinced that they're following the rod!