wasabi_VA

How to shorten butt on Penn Battalion surf rod?

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

I’ve taken standard rod length rods and shortened them by just cutting a little off and gluing a new butt cap back on. Very easy. 

You might want to try a little at a time and tape the cap on temp., see how it works and feels for you. 

A hack saw might give you rough edges and splinter. Use a dremal and cut off blade. Tape the area off and cut the center on the tape. This helps keeping the splintering very limited if it happens at all. Take your time. 

1st conventional....1st trip w rod. id use it at least 3 trips before I cut anything......have u set it in a sand spike?  lot to say for stock...the folks at penn do plenty r and d.  take it to a shop and ask someone w rod building to look at you and the rod to see if anything is grossly out of whack.  inre the reel seat and ur arm length ....

if you have another rod you love,then put them next to each other and you will find where your reel needs to go.

I am 6 ft 2inches and dislike a long butt,just does not feel good to cast with for me.

I like it at 20 inches max although my CSX 10foot is 22 I deal with it.

you can get it to where you like it.

I have customized rods a few times,thinking it all out solid before I do anything.

HH

6 hours ago, hydraman said:

Hold it between your legs and reel in. 

Or plant the butt into your hip.

If your just retrieving line..put the butt in your armpit

Recently picked up a okuma longitude and the first thing I did was cut @5" off it .Made it the same length as another comfortable pole.Thin screwdriver wedged in under cap loosened it .Glued it back on.

Hey HH ,hows that CSX ? Havent been able to get my hands on one near here to check out

Assuming that the Battalion is like the Prevail, don’t bother trying to salvage the butt cap. It’s glued on pretty good. Just buy a new one. I think I saw them online at mudhole. I still need to get one myself. 

76FC65F4-BC87-4141-BDB6-D735D8008B50.jpeg

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 0:00 AM, Fishntale said:

Recently picked up a okuma longitude and the first thing I did was cut @5" off it .Made it the same length as another comfortable pole.Thin screwdriver wedged in under cap loosened it .Glued it back on.

Hey HH ,hows that CSX ? Havent been able to get my hands on one near here to check out

the model I chose is for slinging large wood.

needed a rod with balls and it has plenty of them.

have it mated to a pro-rocket 7000.

totally a beast slayer!.

love it.

rated 3-8 oz and some of my wood is around 10 oz,I swing it mildly with those monster jointeds.

it handles it's entire range great.

using 25 Omni-flex and sea-triker clear mono or salt striker copolymer line with it.

does great for me.

HH 

Nice ,Those are beast plugs! I 'm still looking around S.E.MA for a shop with some to check out. Been a long time since I've lived in this area so a little outta the loop.

Used the Battalion for several days here at the beach before I sunk a 9/0 circle hook in my big toe. Good times catching 2’ to 4’ black tip sharks. Rod did magnificent and the long butt did not feel as awkward as I expected. Don’t think I’ll be chopping it. 

38DhNRNl.jpg

.LxxftA4l.jpg

Nice.. I been really liking that rod.. ballsy enough for big critters , but not a broom stick so makes for a fun rod to fight large and does a great job 

12 mins ago, Wire For Fire said:

Nice.. I been really liking that rod.. ballsy enough for big critters , but not a broom stick so makes for a fun rod to fight large and does a great job 

I like it a lot. I think I will get the spinning equivalent and relegate my 30 year old Ugly Stik 10’ surf rod to backup / loaner duty.

22 hours ago, wasabi_VA said:

Used the Battalion for several days here at the beach before I sunk a 9/0 circle hook in my big toe. Good times catching 2’ to 4’ black tip sharks. Rod did magnificent and the long butt did not feel as awkward as I expected. Don’t think I’ll be chopping it. 

38DhNRNl.jpg

.LxxftA4l.jpg

very good,glad you didn't do anything but fish it.

HH