wasabi_VA

How to shorten butt on Penn Battalion surf rod?

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

I bought the 11' Penn Battalion and taking it surf fishing for the first time next week. I can already tell the long butt is going to feel unwieldy as I've handled it in the driveway and just imagine retrieving under load is going to be weird. Someone in an unrelated post mentioned it is common to shorten the butt of a rod. How would I do that? Just take a hacksaw to it? Can I then reattach the rubber buttcap and make it look like a finished product?

I'd sooner remove the reel seat all together and just cork tape the bottom section.  Then tape the reel on where ever you want and this way you still have a full 11' rod.

That sounds like an option too. I've never done any rod building or disassembly of butt sections, just repaired broken guides. How can I remove the reel seet? Do i take the butt apart and it slides off the core of the butt section?

I guess the suggestion to remove the reel seat is viable then. If your concerned with preserving the length you could do that and use the cork tape as mentioned above essentially moving the reel position back and shortening the butt of the rod. You can use hose clamps to attach the reel as well. How much would have to be removed? If its an inch or two I would cut it.

Moving the reel back drastically changes the action of any rod.....I enjoy a short butt and this often times requires a quicker and more powerful stroke in order to load the extra mid section of the rod now available on the cast....recovery is quicker and if you can maximize your technique, a short butt makes for a better casting and more powerful rod.  All preference and ability though.

19 mins ago, wasabi_VA said:

This is my first and only conventional surf rod. Previously only used a surf spinning rod.

Be sure you want to shorten it since it’s your first conventional.  I personally like 28-30” from reel seat to butt on conventional and about 22” on spinning rods. I’m not sure why but that is most comfortable for me and most rod manufacturers make conventional rods with longer butt sections so I must not be the only one.  Maybe because I throw heavier weight and bait with conventional and need the added leverage of having hands further apart when casting. 

I have cut the butt off a couple spinners the last was a 10’6” st croix triumph. I used a tubing cutter to get a cleaner cut than a hacksaw and put a butt cap over it.  Easy Peasy.  Even with hacksaw the butt cap will hide the rough cut. 

I would be concerned that Moving the seat back several inches will add a lot to the distance to the first guide which could affect performance.  It’s also a more involved job. Maybe take a little off at a time and see how you like it before taking too much off.  

maybe before you do anything to the rod go buy a fuji DPS reel seat and tape it on, it can untaped and moved around till you find the right length 

Many kayakers shorten rod butts by necessity. Field cast it to death before you cut it to be sure! I hacksaw and reuse the cap. 

It has a cap that looks like it is just pressed on, so I gave it a tug to see if it would slip off. It seems on there pretty good. is it just a friction fit or is it possibly glued on?

Good advice to fish with it first. I'll take my hacksaw with me just in case.

Don’t cut it learn to cast with it. Have you fished conventional before? If your fishing bait the long butt won’t effect you in any way. Hold it between your legs and reel in. 

I've run a few rods through the band saw to shorten them. Don't go too far, though. You can't unshorten it later.