jjdbike

Sharing Blackened Fish Recipe

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

I was looking for a way to cook large fluke fillets that was flavorful.

Peter O suggested blackening.

My local grocer did not have blackening spice mix. I poked around online. I blended several that I found on line. Here is what I came up with. My fluke came out very nice. I thought I should share.

BLACKENED FISH RECIPE

Marinade – Optional: Depending on type and thickness of fillets, this may or may not be worth the time & effort.

1.    Rinse and pat fillets dry

2.    In large zip lock bag, combine:

a.    White wine,

b.    Olive oil

c.    Lime juice

d.    Sugar

3.    Let marinate in refrigerator for 5 – 10 mins tops. Less is better. Too long will start to cook / oxidize fish and it will be dry and tough. For my fluke, I only let them sit for 5 mins.

4.    Pat dry 

Spice Mix: All amounts are dry / ground herbs and spices 

2 ½ TBS Onion powder

2 TBS Garlic Powder

2 TBS Paprika

2 TBS Thyme

2 TS Dried lemon zest

2 TS dark brown sugar

2 TS Basil

1 ½ TS Oregano

1 ½ TS Celery seeds

1 ½ TS Black pepper

1 ½ salt

½ TS Chipolte Chili powder

½ Ancho Chili Powder

½ Cayanne 

Adjust chili and cayenne to taste. If mild is preferred, reduce amounts to ¼ TS. If more spice heat is preferred, use 1 TS. My wife is senitive to spice heat so I used 1/4. It was a tad tame for my pallet.

Instructions: 

1.    Preheat large oven safe skillet on stove top or grill to white hot. If indoors, extra ventilation and fans are required. This will create smoke.

2.    In glass baking pan, melt ¼ lb of butter.

3.    Preheat oven to 350.

4.    In second glass baking pan, coat bottom with spice mix (see above).

5.    Drain fillets and pat dry.

6.    Dip fillets in butter. Coat well on all sides and allow excess to drip off.

7.    Dip fillets in spice mix, coating both sides well.

8.    Lay fillets in hot pan to sear (create blackened bark) for 2 – 4 mins, then carefully flip to sear other side. I did 3 mins each side for my fluke, then shut oven off and let then finish in oven for 3 mins while I plated side dishes.

9.    Splash both sides w/ lime juice

Cheers!

JD

^^Sounds legit^^

I blacken stuff alot.

The other night we had blackened rib-eyes topped with bleu cheese butter :drool:

10 mins ago, triumph said:

^^Sounds legit^^

I blacken stuff alot.

The other night we had blackened rib-eyes topped with bleu cheese butter :drool:

Oh man!

Blue Cheese Butter!?!? Never heard of that but it sure sounds amazing!!!!

Thanks!

JD

Posted (edited) · Report post

I will use this recipe for fish in the freezer over 3 month to mask the taste of frozen fish. When you have fresh fish you want to enjoy the fresh meat and not to burn your tongue with chili and cayenne pepper powders.

Edited by levari

On 7/16/2019 at 8:20 AM, levari said:

I will use this recipe for fish in the freezer over 3 month to mask the taste of frozen fish. When you have fresh fish you want to enjoy the fresh meat and not to burn your tongue with chili and cayenne pepper powders.

Thanks Levari. Good point.

With fluke & fresh caught Atlantic halbut, I only used a little seasoning so the mild flavor of fish still came through. If it were a stronger fish, e.g. bluefish, I'd use more & hotter / spicier seasoning.

Done this several times and tweeked it each time to improve.

Here's what I've learned.

1. If marinading: short - 10 mins max.

2. Pre-heat skillet / pan to high... but can be to hot.

3. Use butter in the pan, yes it will smoke like crazy, if indoors you'd better have awsome ventilation!

4. Have oven preheated & use an oven safe pan.

5. Leave fish in hot pan only long eneough for quick sear, enough to start to create a little "bark", but just a little. Too much is TOO MUCH. Theres a very fine line between blackening & burning.

6. Finish w/ a splash of lime jiuce and a little more butter.

7. Finish in oven to get center up to temp. 

8. Enjoy while hot!

I'm liking this as a quick & easy alternative to simple pan frying or breading & frying.

JD