Frank5

Sufix 832 sink too much?

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Just like many others here, this has been my line of choice for several plus years now. It’s earned my absolute trust in most every category like breaking strength, knot tying, abrasion resistance, cast ability/smoothness, durability, etc etc. And it has never stopped me from catching fish. 

My my only complaint on it...and I really hope that this is in my head...is that I’ve started to wonder whether it’s faster sinking quality due to its gore technology or whatever it is, has caused me some paranoid concern regarding it hindering top water plugs, especially poppers. 

Does anyone else notice a draw back like this with this line? 

Its almost like i feel that I have to work much harder with the rod to move and dictate the action of the popper to a point where it’s not quite as easy and hence as immediately effective because of it. 

Im hoping that this is just a phantom concern of mine with no grounded truth but I thought I’d ask others? 

well,you have been using it for years already so,it must be that you convinced yourself that it is a negative.

think about it,if the rod and line you have been using have worked,then you are doing it right.

some tend to over think,better to over fish/catch.

HH

Interesting thought.  I'll throw another thought into the pot, that it's your popper that's "wearing out".  I'm spooled with 832 and almost exclusively used Creek Chub Striper Strikes 2500 on a daily basis. After a couple of weeks, and/or > 50 fish on a single plug, I do find that it tends to be a tougher job to "keep it up".  Since there's no "little blue pill" for plugs and no amount of fiddling with the hardware will help the plug, I grab a new one and all is good.

All 2500s are NOT created equal.  I buy them by the dozen and visually inspect them upon arrival.  Of 12, I spot 3 that will have amazing action, 6 that will be acceptable and 3 are usually "One Cast Wonders": I take one cast with them and wonder HTH they could perform so poorly.  Those poor performers, along with my worn out soldiers go into a "Pooped Popper Box" which gets periodically shipped down to a friend on LI who uses them on blitzing bluefish.  Unfortunately the dearth of bluefish of late has left a large number of plugs unused...

Another trick I've found is to tie any lure without a split ring front end to flurocarbon with a Rapala knot like 2500, SP Minnows, Redfins, etc.  The loop helps the action.

Edited by Roccus7

1 hour ago, Roccus7 said:

Interesting thought.  I'll throw another thought into the pot, that it's your popper that's "wearing out".  I'm spooled with 832 and almost exclusively used Creek Chub Striper Strikes 2500 on a daily basis. After a couple of weeks, and/or > 50 fish on a single plug, I do find that it tends to be a tougher job to "keep it up".  Since there's no "little blue pill" for plugs and no amount of fiddling with the hardware will help the plug, I grab a new one and all is good.

All 2500s are NOT created equal.  I buy them by the dozen and visually inspect them upon arrival.  Of 12, I spot 3 that will have amazing action, 6 that will be acceptable and 3 are usually "One Cast Wonders": I take one cast with them and wonder HTH they could perform so poorly.  Those poor performers, along with my worn out soldiers go into a "Pooped Popper Box" which gets periodically shipped down to a friend on LI who uses them on blitzing bluefish.  Unfortunately the dearth of bluefish of late has left a large number of plugs unused...

Another trick I've found is to tie any lure without a split ring front end to flurocarbon with a Rapala knot like 2500, SP Minnows, Redfins, etc.  The loop helps the action.

This is surprising because plugs made out of plastic are usually very, very consistent in action ala Super strike. You usually hear these complaints with wood stuff.

4 hours ago, Kima said:

This is the kind of overthinking I expect to see during the dead of winter, not during fishing season

Unfortunately haven’t been able to fish as of recent due to work relocation out of state. Not too much happening right now where i fish anyway. During the fall this will change. 

Anyway thanks for the feedback. Maybe next time you can provide a solution based opinion or serious response and if there isn’t a solution or serious response that can be given to my question then maybe you can just keep your condescension to yourself...unless of course it’s funny, but yours wasn’t...

I use Ohero braid instead of the others , have not tried them ALL but mostly the better popular ones just don't hold up to Ohero . Color don't matter but I'm fishing 120 -135 x's a year fresh & salt . I use 10lb- 65 lb  on everything then adjust a fluorocarbon leader ( length )  dbl uni knot . I've been catching since the 60's from Canada to South America , cold water and hot temps don't break down been using Ohero the longest of any line out there You will notice a lot of high name fishing lines cut into the spool & requirement application of  line conditioners frequently . YES a lot of store bought plugs , lures are not the same especially when it comes to presentations with a sound ( BB, shot ) inside production in the same lot = some do work and sound better than others . I throw top water 90 % of my time fishing .  

Edited by Hook I

8 hours ago, Roccus7 said:

you just made me think of another thing that could play a part.

perhaps the well used plug could have a bit of waterlogging,who knows how many percent it is,thats another question.

if in doubt,hang said piece up to dry  and then dip it in polyurethane then hang it up again to dry.

just an idea that worked for me after one of my bob Hahn medium pikies did this.

it worked perfectly and it is still solid after 4 seasons of light use.

just thought to throw that out there.

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

4 hours ago, Frank5 said:

Maybe next time you can provide a solution based opinion or serious response and if there isn’t a solution or serious response that can be given to my question then maybe you can just keep your condescension to yourself...unless of course it’s funny, but yours wasn’t...

If that's the way it's gonna be then I'm going to rephrase my answer.

Braid sinks. All of it.  Stop blaming your line because you aren't catching fish.

There's definitely a lot of variations with plastic lures. I really like throwing a super spook and I've found that about 1 out of 2 or even 3 lures will have the exactly right action I need to get a big bite from a trophy sized green bass. 

Admittedly, I fished that lure for hours and hours on end for a few years and it was only from getting those bites over the years and studying that lure's action repeatedly that I was able to identify exactly what it was that would set apart one of those "magic" lures from the others. It's really such a tiny difference and if you don't know what you're looking for, you'd never notice it. 

That said, I have been fishing Sufix 832 for three or four years now, mostly in #50. It's an interesting line. It seems to "carry" more water than some other spectra lines. Some other spectra lines like Izor seem to shed water much more easily. Maybe that's the difference you're seeing in how your lures are working with those different braids.