Nick T

Fluoro Leaders for Topwater Plugs?

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

This may sound like a newbie question, but does anybody use fluorocarbon leaders when throwing topwater plugs like pencil poppers or surface minnows?  Or are you better off to sticking with monofilament leaders for that type of fishing(because it would float)?

Edited by Nick T

The consensus, I think, is that the two or three or four feet of leader material that you might use between running line (presumably braid) and the plug isn't going to make a difference. Use what you like. Mono is fine. One local surf guide (on LI) uses 60 lb. mono as a matter of course.

Fluorocarbon might make a difference in August/September if little tunny, bonito or other scombrids are in the surf line. Bass and bluefish care less. 

I tried 6lb floro leader on a 1/4oz freshwater popper (popx) the other day...no bueno, it starts walking underwater after the first couple of twitches lol

I don't think floro is necessary for plugging but certainly works.I like a harder mono for top water plugs. I use Berkley Big Game in 20 lb to 60 lb depending on plug size and fish I'm after. It's cheap durable and has always performed well for me.

in my experience, Flouro is generally more tempremental with knots /knot strength. In the rare occasion I feel the water is so clear as to warrent Flouro, I generally upsize it a couple of sizes to accomodate for that trait.

Yeah I think that'd be an interesting debate. I guess I always just suspected more people use mono than fluoro for topwater. I'm suprised this topic hasn't been hashed out on these forums before (or at least I couldn't find anything like it)

What woods are you in the neck of?

Thinking further about stripers, the only place where I've seen it very specifically recommended was in the waters around Monomoy, in Massachusetts, and by fly anglers.

2 hours ago, buddha162 said:

I tried 6lb floro leader on a 1/4oz freshwater popper (popx) the other day...no bueno, it starts walking underwater after the first couple of twitches lol

Flouro sinks,on light topwaters it makes a difference.

Startup  pulls the lure down.

Spook Jr  etc.

As for stealth,don’t need stealth on topwater lures.

1 hour ago, BrianBM said:

What woods are you in the neck of?

Thinking further about stripers, the only place where I've seen it very specifically recommended was in the waters around Monomoy, in Massachusetts, and by fly anglers.

florida gulf coast. clear water and smart fish around here. i didn’t interpret the question to be just about striper fishing. 

33 mins ago, Badtothebugs said:

florida gulf coast. clear water and smart fish around here. i didn’t interpret the question to be just about striper fishing. 

Yes, although I primarily fish for stripers, I was basically talking about any type of fishing. If stripers cant see mono leaders anyways then it certainly cant hurt to have a fluoro leader (because it’ll be less visible).

So having said that, my question was mostly about the action. Does fluoro have a significant negative impact the action of a topwater plug?

21 mins ago, Nick T said:

Yes, although I primarily fish for stripers, I was basically talking about any type of fishing. If stripers cant see mono leaders anyways then it certainly cant hurt to have a fluoro leader (because it’ll be less visible).

So having said that, my question was mostly about the action. Does fluoro have a significant negative impact the action of a topwater plug?

sometimes i specifically use Berkley vanish flouro fishing line compared to my usual yo zuri hd carbon flouro leader for it limpness.  i also like seagar blue label