dieselgrady

Something fishy about my 2019 Avalon.

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Was on a lobster quest trip to Maine in my 2019 Toyota Avalon with about 3800 miles, when the check engine oil message appeared on my dash. Was a bit shocked and after parking on the level (i'd been climbing a steep grade when it appeared) I checked the dip stick and sure enough I was a quart low . Bought a quart of the recommended 0-20W weight oil and back to full. Had never heard of such low viscosity oil, but did as I was told.  . Better mileage? better lubrication at low temps?  Wonder why a new car uses oil.? Any thoughts? 

At least you still have a dipstick, many new cars don't have them. I can almost understand why, its because the next generation doesn't even know what they are.

I have a new Subaru, it uses a quart between oil changes but it has the boxer engine which runs hot and is known to use earl.

Keep an eye on that though, that's an expensive car with a good motor, it shouldn't be using a drop of earl between changes.

Possible that car left dealership when new without a full fill of oil. Common for them to come in to dealer and fluids are not at max level. That's the job of predelivery inspection tech,part of that delivery prep fee you pay when buying car. Did you by chance happen to check oil level previously or was  when check light came on 1st time you checked?

0W-20 synthetic oil has become commonplace in modern cars. Engines are machined to much tighter tolerances than was the case 30-40 years ago,lighter viscosity oil is all that's needed,takes less hp to push thinner oil thru engine,=more mpgs.

Some engines when new,will consume more oil than when fully broken in,though modern cars engine's are usually broken in by @2k miles.

Wouldn't hurt to put eyes on top/bottom of engine,oil filter,oilpan drainplug to be sure nothing loose /leaking.

20 mins ago, dieselgrady said:

Was on a lobster quest trip to Maine in my 2019 Toyota Avalon with about 3800 miles, when the check engine oil message appeared on my dash. Was a bit shocked and after parking on the level (i'd been climbing a steep grade when it appeared) I checked the dip stick and sure enough I was a quart low . Bought a quart of the recommended 0-20W weight oil and back to full. Had never heard of such low viscosity oil, but did as I was told.  . Better mileage? better lubrication at low temps?  Wonder why a new car uses oil.? Any thoughts? 

Call the service department where you bought it and ask why it burned a qt of oil in 3900 miles. If they say it's common and because of break in.  check the oil next time you fill up, and the next. If it's still burning oil after 5K miles, it's a problem. Bring it back to the dealership and complain. That's not normal. 

Modelcitizen you got my number! I rarely pay attention to the same things in my new and say my 65 chevy. Never really thought it necessary. W ont happen again. It might well have been down a quart when I left Rockaway. And RockRonin the first thing I did when I returned was contact Toyota and ask if it was normal for a new car to use oil. My service will be in a few months and i'll take it from there. And oh yeah, i'm looking for the "wet spot" on my driveway. Thank-you for the come back.

Posted (edited) · Report post

18 hours ago, dieselgrady said:

modern engines burn oil.

if you don't believe that go do some research,I did myself.

I found that they do due to a few factors.

my 30 year old 351 has 336k[never abused] on it and it burns almost none,still solid and runs strong as well.

as for the viscosity,that plays a part in it too but,it also helps with mileage and start up flow.

have your baby checked out.

HH 

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

So I added another quart of 0-20W at about 5K and just brought the car in for the yearly service. The 2 quarts of oil I replaced were poo-pooed, by a service manager as acceptable. I expected that kind of response, so I basically just wanted my oil changed, tire rotation , etc. First 2 years of maintenance are on Toyota.  After sitting in the waiting room for 4 hours, I was told the plugs were being pulled and there was a problem! "DUH"  I don't think they gave a damn about my complaint, but I guess they ran an emissions check, and found the new AvalonI was burning oil. (REALLY) So I left Staten Island in a new Avalon (loaner) and they suspect the valve seals, but they'll let me know, after they (probably) pull the engine. Not my idea of a good experience for a new car. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, dieselgrady said:

So I added another quart of 0-20W at about 5K and just brought the car in for the yearly service. The 2 quarts of oil I replaced were poo-pooed, by a service manager as acceptable. I expected that kind of response, so I basically just wanted my oil changed, tire rotation , etc. First 2 years of maintenance are on Toyota.  After sitting in the waiting room for 4 hours, I was told the plugs were being pulled and there was a problem! "DUH"  I don't think they gave a damn about my complaint, but I guess they ran an emissions check, and found the new AvalonI was burning oil. (REALLY) So I left Staten Island in a new Avalon (loaner) and they suspect the valve seals, but they'll let me know, after they (probably) pull the engine. Not my idea of a good experience for a new car. 

wow,,,although I am not surprised.

such a huge loss for the buyer of a new car these days.

can't imagine my almost 31 years old 351 doing that.

DG,I hope it all works for you,just keep 2 quarts in yer trunk for those times when the light goes on.

so,the said valve seals?,,well then someone or their design[or materials they are made of] of valve seals is garbage.

a new engine should not need those for 20 years.

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

Valve seals are common on those older models , also the piston rings. But for a new car, I don’t know, the oil consumption is too high because it will take more than two quarts for the oil light to come on. I’m not going to say it’s not impossible but it’s under warranty so you’ll pay nothing for the repair.

2 hours ago, dieselgrady said:

I would hope they'd look a little further and make sure crankase ventilation system is operating correctly,if not it can cause oil to be pushed past piston rings and being burned.Of course this can only be checked with a running car. Don't know how an "emissions check" will reveal an oil consumption problem.

They SHOULD inspect the valve guides for excessive clearance.Sloppy valve guides can prematurely wear valve seals. To do this entails removing cylinder heads and removing cams,followers,valves for valve stem/guide clearance measuring.

Toyota engines like many other manufacturers these days are built to fairly tight tolerances(why 0W-20 oil is spec'd,and for fuel economy) and don't need to be broken in as did engines of 30 years ago. By 1k miles at most they're fully broken in.

Possible there are TSBs regarding oil consumption the service dept. is aware of.  I hope they're not going to install another set of valve seals and call it good without checking further for underlying cause unless this is a known problem.

Many years ago i lived thru about 6 years of replacing defective valve seals under warranty when i worked for VW so it is possible the seals in your car are defective?

Looks like 1 quart of oil used in @ 3k miles. Not acceptable,1quart in 6k miles is unacceptable. For comparison when i worked for Chrysler,they were"ok" with a quart of oil usage in 900 miles while under warranty.