Scott Charlton

Mink Whales supported at surf

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Yes!  In broad daylight not 100 yards off the beach.  I thought it was just a porpoise at first.  It was huge.  Only see them offshore from the boat.  Amazing!

1 hour ago, mumichog said:

Gov. Angus King intervened to try and save the tourist season because the stench of all the dead pogies drove everyone out of Kennebunkport. 

Karma is truly a bi-atch.  Would love to see that happen again!!

12 hours ago, mumichog said:

Um, I have to disagree completely about striper numbers anyway.  The density of large bass has never again come anywhere near the early 90's in ME/NH area.  The pogies were wiped out in 95 or 96, and that was it, poof.  I recall folks saying things were good again in the early 2000's, and while the fishing was not too bad it was nothing like 10 years earlier, nothing. 

And yes, there have been pogies on and off the last few years but again, the quantity of the pogies hasn't been even a sliver of the late 80's/early 90's.  There were massive schools all over the place and epic fish kills when the also now gone tanker blues used to drive pogies into the estuaries and strand them by the thousands.  It was so crazy it made the national news.  Gov. Angus King intervened to try and save the tourist season because the stench of all the dead pogies drove everyone out of Kennebunkport. 

For several years folks were bitten by bluefish along our beaches and lifeguards started watching for bluefish blitzes like they do now for sharks on the Cape, warning folks to leave the water when they got too close. 

In the early 90's Lou Tabory, striper fly god of NE, even wrote in his most famous book on striper fly fishing that southern ME was THE place to be in the summer if you wanted to nail a tanker on the fly.  No one has been saying that since, for good reason.

I should have been clear - Im talking about the whole population. I was in NJ back then and fishing was excellent. I didnt fish NH till 98 and that was Joppa and sluggos. The fish will go where the bait is. BAck then the pogies moved out of raritan bay in late may and the fishing off north jersey would be excellent until early july when the pogie left.