PENN Fishing

New Product Launch - PENN Fathom II star drags

23 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 7/14/2019 at 9:02 AM, luyber said:

Tony,

Are the fathom 2 mag side plates going to be comparable with the first gen fathoms.

I hope the parts from the new FTHII12 and FTHII15 can be retrofitted to the older FTM15 and FTM12 Gen 1 reels. Penn may as well print their own money if that's the case. It also means the Squall, 515, and 525 will be wiped out by the Fathom II. This reel is going to hammer the small Avets and low end Akios. 

Edited by Capefox

The "long cast" version of the 15 is overall the same dimensions as the other 15's, but due to the Knobby, it allows the thumbing flange to be eliminated, which allows 15-20 percent more line capacity. Unfortunately, the Casting Special's upgraded bearings and added capacity spool will not fit the "regular" models. 

For the few anglers who may want a 4.8-1 gear ratio when using the "regular" 12's and 15's in the new series, you will be able to change the gears.

Agree with Treed. I just finished the process of replacing all my Diawas with the Fathom I. Perfect reel for me, light oil and three brakes is spot on for real world Drum fishing conditions. 

Fathoms are the best bang for the buck when it comes to star drag reels, metal through and through.

No internal plastic side plate on these reels, the drag assembly is mounted direct to the metal frame.

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 7/19/2019 at 5:59 AM, Springer said:

Agree with Treed. I just finished the process of replacing all my Diawas with the Fathom I. Perfect reel for me, light oil and three brakes is spot on for real world Drum fishing conditions. 

I run the ragged edge drum fishing my 12s with two brakes. Occasionally wish I had three engaged, but most of the time I can talk it off the edge if she wants to get a fluff up.

With our a doubt the smoothest, most consistent, yet fast (fishing fast, not tourney) reel I’ve thrown. 

Edited by TreednNC