PENN Fishing

New Product Launch - PENN Fathom II star drags

23 posts in this topic

All of your favorite sizes, with some new twists.
The size 40, 30, and 25N now feature a choice of either 4.8-1 or 6-1 gear ratios, plus easier servicing and improved freespool lever, still $219.99 retail.
Size 12 and size 15 are 6-1 gear ratio only, but now have dial-type mag cast control, easier servicing, and improved freespool lever; still $199.99 retail.
"Casting Special" version in size 15 only, features external knobby mag cast control, upgraded bearings, additional line capacity to regular size 15; $249.99 retail.
All with 30 pounds max drag.
Due in your local tackle shop by the end of September.
http://www.pennfishing.com/penn-ree...fathom-ii-star-drag-reel/1509857.html#start=6

the picture referenced above is different from the one I have seen. the one I saw had a completely black spool with a different spindle. There is a video on u tube showing a different version. I personally like the one in the video.

An improvement on the reels that are already the best for the money?  Good news!

2 hours ago, Catch This said:

the picture referenced above is different from the one I have seen. the one I saw had a completely black spool with a different spindle. There is a video on u tube showing a different version. I personally like the one in the video.

That is the "Casting Special", which does look a little different than the rest of the series.

1 min ago, redfish12 said:

Still no love for lefties?

Nope, no one likes you guys   :)

Posted (edited) · Report post

On Thursday, July 11, 2019 at 7:07 PM, Tunanorth said:

That is the "Casting Special", which does look a little different than the rest of the series.

Curious about this model. I can't seem to find the line capacity. Also, I've seen pictures with a double paddle handle. Is a power handle included as well? Is the magnetic brake in addition to the outstanding centrifugal braking system of the original Fathom, or does it replace it? Thanks.

Edited by AI GUY

1 hour ago, luyber said:

Tony,

Are the fathom 2 mag side plates going to be comparable with the first gen fathoms.

"Comparable" is hard to define. They will be the same size and weight, but with some mechanical changes. So far at least, it does not appear that additional versions will be added to the European assortment. 

2 mins ago, Catch This said:

Tuna are you saying the long cast model will not be available in U.S.?

No, I am saying that the FTHII15LC will be the only "long cast" version available on either side of the pond.

In previous years, the Brits have had one or two additional versions of long cast reels that were not in the US catalogue.

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 7/13/2019 at 2:40 PM, Catch This said:

Lucky OC posted pictures of the casting model in the Main forum under "ICAST rumors"

I just took some screenshots from a vid someone posted at ICAST, hope i didn't step on any toes @ PENN...  if they can answer / share more info, that would be great.  wish they where making a 12 too...  FWIW, looks to be the same size as the current 15.

On 7/11/2019 at 8:42 AM, luckyOC said:

II_1.JPG

II_2.JPG

II_3.JPG

Edited by luckyOC