codfish

Could this happen in CCB??

Rate this topic

63 posts in this topic

On 7/11/2019 at 5:14 PM, MakoMike said:

The females begin to spawn at around 23-24 inches, males about the same size. Yes every Chesapeake bay fish you catch in MA is a female. The only way to tell a male from a female is dissection. You might catch a Hudson river male up in MA, they do migrate along with the females, but generally they stay closer to home than the Chessie fish.

Check out the species profile on the ASMFC website.

Thanks Mike!!!  Now I understand.  Like

many, I was under the impression that only large fish were mature enough to spawn.  After actually taking time to educate myself a little (thanks to you pointing out a good resource) I see how 1@34 or 36 could be good for as many as 4-6 additional spawn years.

See kids, don’t always believe what you see/read on the internet, especially the rhetoric and nonsense spewed out by uninformed bafoons (like me) on fishing sites.

3 hours ago, FoliFish said:

Thanks Mike!!!  Now I understand.  Like

many, I was under the impression that only large fish were mature enough to spawn.  After actually taking time to educate myself a little (thanks to you pointing out a good resource) I see how 1@34 or 36 could be good for as many as 4-6 additional spawn years.

See kids, don’t always believe what you see/read on the internet, especially the rhetoric and nonsense spewed out by uninformed bafoons (like me) on fishing sites.

You’re welcome!