codfish

Could this happen in CCB??

Rate this topic

63 posts in this topic

2 years ago at the canal, I watched every fish over the legal limit go up on the rocks. It turned my stomach. That was the last time I targeted stripers. I now fish for skate, scup, sea robins and spider crabs.

It's just as much fun and can be done in the daytime :)

The canal is a completely different and unique problem, biggest funnel on the east coast and managed by ACOE for transportation not fishing. I don’t have a good answer for it either, other than completely shutting it down and I don’t want that either. What I would advocate is enforcement. The canal needs its own crew of EPO’s that do nothing more than enforce fishing laws. I’d be willing to pay 2 bucks more for my license to pay for it too, but we live in Massachusetts and if it is simple and makes sense it will never happen.

Lil off topic but not..Also like to note..why isn't there a designated environmental truck patrol on the canal during may through Oct..rangers are useless put the ole green pick up on patrol just might deter some undesirables..

10 mins ago, giggyfish said:

The canal is a completely different and unique problem, biggest funnel on the east coast and managed by ACOE for transportation not fishing. I don’t have a good answer for it either, other than completely shutting it down and I don’t want that either. What I would advocate is enforcement. The canal needs its own crew of EPO’s that do nothing more than enforce fishing laws. I’d be willing to pay 2 bucks more for my license to pay for it too, but we live in Massachusetts and if it is simple and makes sense it will never happen.

Id pay $5-$10 to park and fish the ditch..fence and gates baby

10 mins ago, giggyfish said:

That one I totally agree all aspects 

They should make it like they did wachusett reservoir a long time ago. In order to fish the shoreline of that town you must own property in that said town. Basically bourne and sandwich

Edited by SalmonAndStriper Stalker

3 mins ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

They should make it like they did wachusett reservoir a long time ago. In order to fish the shoreline of that town you must own property in that said town. Basically bourne and sandwich

On a Federally owned multi-purpose resource? No way it could ever happen.

3 hours ago, MakoMike said:

The females begin to spawn at around 23-24 inches, males about the same size. Yes every Chesapeake bay fish you catch in MA is a female. The only way to tell a male from a female is dissection. You might catch a Hudson river male up in MA, they do migrate along with the females, but generally they stay closer to home than the Chessie fish.

Check out the species profile on the ASMFC website.

This is awesome thank you!

How about 1@46" , or even 1@50"?

It would be practically C&R fishing most places. 

Harder to hide a 46" fish.

Folks who catch a fish of a lifetime can keep it.

Lots of good breeding years between 28 and 46.

Funny now that I think of it.  I've caught lots of 42"/ 43" fish.   A Few 50" fish, but never a 46" fish.   Just dumb luck I guess.

Keep in mind that, until the conditions are right, we don’t need more fish, we just need to stop killing the ones we already have. A couple of good spawns and everything will be O.K. Especially when that 2015 year class hits spawning age.

2 hours ago, MakoMike said:

Keep in mind that, until the conditions are right, we don’t need more fish, we just need to stop killing the ones we already have. A couple of good spawns and everything will be O.K. Especially when that 2015 year class hits spawning age.

This is wishful thinking. How do you know those 2015 class fish even survived.  How will we get a couple of more good spawns the way things are now. Seems impossible.