codfish

Could this happen in CCB??

Rate this topic

63 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

48 mins ago, fishBAD said:

Like what?  I've been struggling with this question.  I live on the N shore of Mass.  I haven't seen Blues constistently in my area in 8 years.  Winter flounder from a pier?  I've tried it no luck.  Saw a black sea bass caught once six years ago.  Actually got some fluke one hot summer 7 years ago.  Mackerel get scarce from shore from June-September.  So what species could I target for dinner from shore?  I think a striper moratorium may be warranted but with the idea of getting it back to a harvestable population.

I'm in Maine. I do not keep bass or eat much fish that are attainable from shore. I have a friend who has been going winter flounder fishing and been doing phenomenal and that is in southern maine. Every time he goes he comes home with dinner.  Not saying it is a perfect solution but it could take pressure off the Bass stocks. Do you have porgys?

Edited by Jturnbull

1 hour ago, giggyfish said:

They vacuum seal just fine which goes against the crazy consensus here. 1@36” daily, no tags, no bureaucracy no reason it won’t work again. 

It also worked because there were probably a tenth of the number of people fishing than there are now. That's a factor that can't be overlooked. 

Just as a historical aside, there never was a commercial moratorium in Mass. i still have my last commercial bass permit, from 1985. I found it in an old box when we were packing up to move. 

How is keeping bigger fish gonna help.. you'll be taking all the breeders..under 34"makes more sense..let the big girls breed.28" not mature enough to pop out eggs like a 36-40+" ..just saying

35 mins ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

Go to backwaters and small secluded bays at night with a high tide. I have a few places I could catch them every cast if I so chose to. They are honestly everywhere i look.

Wht can't I catch them in the canal? I used to.

2 hours ago, Seadogg said:

The thing is, most people don’t just go home. Let’s say you launch the boat or drive an hour to a spot, and on your first cast you get a keeper and throw it in the cooler. You telling me you’re not going to keep fishing? Personally, I don’t remember the last time I kept a fish. I haven’t spent thousands of dollars and countless hours so I can secure a meal. If that was the point I’d be better off selling my stuff and going to a grocery store. There’s nothing wrong with catch and release fishing for those who do it responsibly. And although a slot limit wouldn’t prevent all problems, I believe the large majority of anglers would adhere to the rules. How could this not be seen as a benefit to the species? Keep any fish over 28” or only those within a slot. Which sounds better? 

I've read a number of studies of release mortality. If I remember correctly--never a safe assumption for someone getting on in years--the most optimistic studies put it at 8%. 

I was pretty good at this Canal thing when I did it. My gear was up to the task, I horsed fish in as quickly as I could, 90% of my fishing was night jigging with single hook jigs, but almost every night during good runs of fish, I released a couple that I knew were goners. Those were the bleeders. My feeling was that even a 5-10% of surviving was better than the 0% chance in my cooler back at the truck. Everyone who fishes regularly night after night kills double digit numbers of fish every season, even without keeping one. Even if a fish is jaw hooked, released in the water without delay, and not otherwise injured, it's disoriented and has built up lactic acid in its muscles from fighting you that restrict its swimming until it subsides. It's a sitting duck for any predator (shark, seal), a big blue , or even a bigger bass. 

I'm not saying that anyone should stop fishing, just accept the reality that even the best C&R practitioners still kill fish.

17 mins ago, bob_G said:

Wht can't I catch them in the canal? I used to.

I get on average around 5 a tide on bait. Anywhere from 18 to 26in

Edited by SalmonAndStriper Stalker

What is the science behind what size fish begin to spawn at?  I would figure they're not really spawning until they're at least in the low to mid 30s, but I have nothing besides my own logic to think that.  Based on other species reproduction I guess.  Also, are there really no males except in the Chesapeake?  That seems ridiculous to imagine that every school of fish swimming around is just a massive school of females.  Is there anyway to identify a gender of a bass?  

2 hours ago, willcodfish said:

How is keeping bigger fish gonna help.. you'll be taking all the breeders..under 34"makes more sense..let the big girls breed.28" not mature enough to pop out eggs like a 36-40+" ..just saying

Almost every time I put in a solid effort I catch fish between 16-28”. If my experience is indicative of the many thousands of anglers out there how many more fish would end up in the pan than if the limit was bumped up to 36”. I personally would probably kill 30 more fish a season. By the time they get to 36” they have had approximately 3-4 seasons to spawn and arguably they are harder to catch. Plus it worked before so there’s that.

Slot limits on red fish in FLA..bounced back that stock rather quickly..36" limit took awhile to show results..so there's that back..that 36+" fish u keep is like keeping 3 28" fish reproduction wise..so there's some more of that..lol..24-,32" throw everything else back and see how fast they come back..

2 hours ago, Ditch Jigger said:

I've read a number of studies of release mortality. If I remember correctly--never a safe assumption for someone getting on in years--the most optimistic studies put it at 8%. 

I was pretty good at this Canal thing when I did it. My gear was up to the task, I horsed fish in as quickly as I could, 90% of my fishing was night jigging with single hook jigs, but almost every night during good runs of fish, I released a couple that I knew were goners. Those were the bleeders. My feeling was that even a 5-10% of surviving was better than the 0% chance in my cooler back at the truck. Everyone who fishes regularly night after night kills double digit numbers of fish every season, even without keeping one. Even if a fish is jaw hooked, released in the water without delay, and not otherwise injured, it's disoriented and has built up lactic acid in its muscles from fighting you that restrict its swimming until it subsides. It's a sitting duck for any predator (shark, seal), a big blue , or even a bigger bass. 

I'm not saying that anyone should stop fishing, just accept the reality that even the best C&R practitioners still kill fish.

This last comment with out question is one whom may who practice this C&R as being 100 percent survival, as many do here, often in conversations is with out question is in recognizing that  C&R is also not perfect for the reasons you mention and others. WE all add to the total demise of the resource in some form or fashion. Some more then others.

36 mins ago, willcodfish said:

Slot limits on red fish in FLA..bounced back that stock rather quickly..36" limit took awhile to show results..so there's that back..that 36+" fish u keep is like keeping 3 28" fish reproduction wise..so there's some more of that..lol..24-,32" throw everything else back and see how fast they come back..

the problem with this is how slow stripers grow, you will just pound the same year class year after year decimating it and barely allowing any to join the protection of 36"+. All you will do with a slot is wipe out those over productive year of young classes we had from 2011 and so on. 1@36, allows all those fish to breed for 4-5 seasons before they can be harvested.

Edited by canalsharpie

4 hours ago, bob_G said:

If there's an abundance of fish under 20" I'm certainly not seeing them. 

i haven't seen the small stuff in the canal, but on boat i've moved to different areas multiple times this year in RI and CCB because i kept getting 16-26inch bass on my 9ers i was trolling. i am talking 2-3 at a time on each rig. We had one where we had 5 of them on the rig at once and we thought we had a very nice bass on. We didn't want to put a hurting on these small fish so we would move to a different area, but it seemed like it was impossible to get away from them

5 hours ago, bob_G said:

So do I. But then there's the ever present problem, enforcement. Who will enforce it? The present regs (of which there are plenty) are barely enforced.   

As I get older I'm coming to the inevitable conclusion that the situation is almost hopeless. It will never be resolved. The fishery will certainly collapse. If so, I'll just move on. 

Well enforcement is always the problem with any regulations. We have to start somewhere and I think at crowded places like the ditch if a tag isn't displayed on a kept fish, conscientious fishers will have the ability to either say something or call the ECops. 

As an example, my wife and I were riding our bikes at the ditch last Sunday morning and I saw the typical scenario of a woman casually carrying a fish to the car while her assumed spouse and friends kept fishing. When she was done she returned to the group and sat down with the other women waiting for the next fish to spirit away. It was all I could do to not to ask how many fish she had in the car and it was my wife who said why don't they have to display a tag like dear hunters do? If a tag was required, I could have said, where's your tag? I'm happy to make a stink when there is an obvious infraction...

3 hours ago, aglenn said:

What is the science behind what size fish begin to spawn at?  I would figure they're not really spawning until they're at least in the low to mid 30s, but I have nothing besides my own logic to think that.  Based on other species reproduction I guess.  Also, are there really no males except in the Chesapeake?  That seems ridiculous to imagine that every school of fish swimming around is just a massive school of females.  Is there anyway to identify a gender of a bass?  

The females begin to spawn at around 23-24 inches, males about the same size. Yes every Chesapeake bay fish you catch in MA is a female. The only way to tell a male from a female is dissection. You might catch a Hudson river male up in MA, they do migrate along with the females, but generally they stay closer to home than the Chessie fish.

Check out the species profile on the ASMFC website.

Edited by MakoMike