codfish

Could this happen in CCB??

Rate this topic

63 posts in this topic

I still say there's no logical reason to allow recreational anglers to keep one legal fish every day. Plenty of guys do. Many old timers with 40 years fishing under their belt do. Unless you have geay seal genes in your dna, nobody eats 20-30 fish a year.  Most large fish go more as braggin rights, only to be given away to the first patsie who'll take it off their hands. From there,languishing in a freezer, frostburned and discolored,  eventually finding a home in a dumptser.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 mins ago, FoliFish said:

I guess my confusion lies in the common belief that "breeders" are the larger fish.

What are the prime spawning age (length) of male and female stripers?  

basically the toothpaste is out of the tube with the breeders who are in the biomass already.  Any updates to harvest regulations will be done to preserve the 2011 and more recent "above average" recruitment classes (2015, 2017,2018) to allow a few additional spawns before potential harvest and removal from the spawning biomass.

 

wild @$$ guess for prime spawning age?  roughly 35"-45" (~10-15 years old)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 mins ago, bob_G said:

I still say there's no logical reason to allow recreational anglers to keep one legal fish every day. Plenty of guys do. Many old timers with 40 years fishing under their belt do. Unless you have geay seal genes in your dna, nobody eats 20-30 fish a year.  Most large fish go more as braggin rights, only to be given away to the first patsie who'll take it off their hands. From there,languishing in a freezer, frostburned and discolored,  eventually finding a home in a dumptser.

Which is why I like the tag limit idea. Use up your tags and you are done for the year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They vacuum seal just fine which goes against the crazy consensus here. 1@36” daily, no tags, no bureaucracy no reason it won’t work again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 mins ago, b-ware said:

Bad idea, the C&R mortality would go through the roof, it is far better to keep one fish at 28", catch it and go home...…………….OR figure out a way to breed some true sportsmen...…..

The thing is, most people don’t just go home. Let’s say you launch the boat or drive an hour to a spot, and on your first cast you get a keeper and throw it in the cooler. You telling me you’re not going to keep fishing? Personally, I don’t remember the last time I kept a fish. I haven’t spent thousands of dollars and countless hours so I can secure a meal. If that was the point I’d be better off selling my stuff and going to a grocery store. There’s nothing wrong with catch and release fishing for those who do it responsibly. And although a slot limit wouldn’t prevent all problems, I believe the large majority of anglers would adhere to the rules. How could this not be seen as a benefit to the species? Keep any fish over 28” or only those within a slot. Which sounds better? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 mins ago, beerdoh said:

Which is why I like the tag limit idea. Use up your tags and you are done for the year.

So do I. But then there's the ever present problem, enforcement. Who will enforce it? The present regs (of which there are plenty) are barely enforced.   

As I get older I'm coming to the inevitable conclusion that the situation is almost hopeless. It will never be resolved. The fishery will certainly collapse. If so, I'll just move on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1@ 36 worked last time... or was it just the moratorium that worked and net population decline was just more slowly downhill as not to notice ?  dunno... can’t keep going to the edge over and over.... we’ll eventually “overshoot” and it’ll be too late.  isn’t there enuf objective basic unarguable science out there already to figure out what needs to be done on a fish population level to actually restore populations and then establish rules for humans to follow that result in an actual “balance” ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t want to be the only one here that sounds like I’m anti conservation because this is really not the case. 

This isn’t the eighties. The stock isn’t as bad as people are acting. It’s way down for sure but not like the eighties. We have an enormous population of fish under 20 inches that was not the case back then. We do need to act and raise the size limit coast wide. I’d like to see the Hudson and Chesapeake stocks protected like they do in the kennebec in Maine. Let them spawn first then open the season. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 mins ago, Seadogg said:

The thing is, most people don’t just go home. Let’s say you launch the boat or drive an hour to a spot, and on your first cast you get a keeper and throw it in the cooler. You telling me you’re not going to keep fishing? Personally, I don’t remember the last time I kept a fish. I haven’t spent thousands of dollars and countless hours so I can secure a meal. If that was the point I’d be better off selling my stuff and going to a grocery store. There’s nothing wrong with catch and release fishing for those who do it responsibly. And although a slot limit wouldn’t prevent all problems, I believe the large majority of anglers would adhere to the rules. How could this not be seen as a benefit to the species? Keep any fish over 28” or only those within a slot. Which sounds better? 

 

That my friend is the million dollar question, to which there is no correct answer...…..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jturnbull said:

rather see it be catch and release :banghd:  with STRICT penalties for rule breakers. Plenty of other fish in the sea to catch for dinner.

Like what?  I've been struggling with this question.  I live on the N shore of Mass.  I haven't seen Blues constistently in my area in 8 years.  Winter flounder from a pier?  I've tried it no luck.  Saw a black sea bass caught once six years ago.  Actually got some fluke one hot summer 7 years ago.  Mackerel get scarce from shore from June-September.  So what species could I target for dinner from shore?  I think a striper moratorium may be warranted but with the idea of getting it back to a harvestable population.

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FoliFish said:

I guess my confusion lies in the common belief that "breeders" are the larger fish.

What are the prime spawning age (length) of male and female stripers?  

Males rarely get to be over 30 inches and more importantly they NEVER LEAVE The Chesapeake bay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

The class of little fish everybody is catching now won’t be keeper size “current regs” till 2022 or so and won’t be respectable size till 2025 so any regs  passed in the near future aren’t going to change that. Everyone should be ready for at least a few more years of this. The best thing we as fishermen can do is leave the little fish alone and use caution in keeping large. Waiting for the idiots that make the rules to “fix” our problems is ridiculously stupid. 

What kills me is these people will pass a small rule change and then when people are catching 30 pounders again in 2025 they will break their arms slapping themselves on the back and lower the size limit again. And around and around we go. 

Edited by giggyfish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 mins ago, bob_G said:

If there's an abundance of fish under 20" I'm certainly not seeing them. 

Go to backwaters and small secluded bays at night with a high tide. I have a few places I could catch them every cast if I so chose to. They are honestly everywhere i look.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.