Drummerbeedude

Penn squidder oil

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

So I always see “put a thicker/heavier oil in the bearings” but nobody ever says what that oil is. I knew a competitive caster back in the day, he mentioned stp but I do not know what he meant. So what is everyone using?

Back in the day when I wanted to cast to the moon I would look for the thinnest I could find.

After tuning a reel on the Cape I went to a casting event down Delaware and I couldn't control the reel.

To dam fast.

I you're trying to cast to the moon see if you can find some whale oil(really). It doesn't change viscosity witch is why they used it in clocks.

I think it's called NYE whale oil.

RemOil is a great synthetic low viscosity oil that I use in my reels bearings towards the end of the season when it starts to get cooler and your lubricant normally begins to thicken and hamper your casting distance. During the summer I like to use either a good 30w synthetic oil like you can get from Mobile 1 or Penn’s synthetic reel oil. They both are great because they thin with the heat just enough to give you the casting distances you need to get between the second and third bar without killing yourself to do it. I like Penn’s reel grease for the same reason.

STP is an engine oil additive. It is similar to Motor Honey. When cool, they are about the consistency of thick pancake honey.

STP works great in a Penn 6/0 casting 80# mono.

In order of viscosity:

engine oil

transmission oil (about 90 weight)

STP

I am trying to cast to the moon! I can’t get there if my reel is a mess though. I have the penn synthetic oil in now, I was hoping to tame it down a little more. Maybe I just need more practice, I’ve used spinning gear and fly gear all my life, but I wanted to break out my grandfathers squidder. Haven’t got the knack of it yet.....

If you are having trouble with speed and backlashes, go to a higher viscosity oil.

Perhaps 30 weight or 40 weight oil (not 10 w 30 or 10 w 40).

If that does not work sufficiently, use a thicker diameter line.

And, if it is still not enough, use less line on the spool.

Posted (edited) · Report post

If you’re concerned about backlashes you can do this: make your best controlled cast effort with a weight tied to your line that is typical of what you’d normally like to cast and without an over run, put your rod down, walk it off and add another 20 yards or so. Carefully pull off that additional 20 yards from your reel. Now get some painter’s or masking tape and put several strips of it across your reels line on the spool. This will serve as a maximum line over run “wall” on your reel in case of a back lash without mucking up your line under it with the tapes adhesive which is why your not using black electricians tape. Tightly reel in your line. Now you can practice your casts carefully without fear while building your self confidence and extending your casts range using different weight casting plugs. Work on the technical aspects of the cast and how it feels when you’ve performed the cast properly. As you slowly get better and improve your range increase as will your confidence. Watch how closely you get to the tape “wall” we added and add line to it as you improve slowly. Take your time! There’s no hurry. A relaxed comfortable cast performed without worry under different conditions and circumstances will build your ability to cast stress free while having fun and catching fish!!! Hope this helps you!!!

Edited by Swimbaiter