snapper1

Opal 9-10 Input

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Hi all

I'm fairly new to OH 2Handed  flycasting...Practicing a lot...I use an Ambush 12.5 F(525 grs) on the Opal 9-10 ...I'd like to know if some of you guys are using heavier lines on that specific rod.

Thank you for taking time to answer

^..^

I have the older version of the 9/10 Beulah (same specs, slightly heavier materials and build).  Rio Outbound Short 12w or 11w both work fine.  They are 465g and 510g respectively.  I have tried using a Wulff Ambush 13wt line on it (550 grains and 30ft).  If I use the head alone it can handle it, but if I add a tip it overloads the rod when casting THOH.  The rod performs best for distance casting with around 450 to 480 grains.  An Outbound 12w short is about the maximum; although, Beulah recommends their 550g Serum line which is 40g heavier.

Your rod may be a bit faster but the older version rod is just as powerful.

The Ambush line you are using has a 29' head.   Before you try switching to a heavier line try adding an Airflo 5ft Tarpon (intermediate) polyleader.  This will extend the front (non running section) of the line to 34' (*) and will add maybe another 50 grains.  The tarpon polyleaders can also be used on the Outbound Short lines.   The reason I am suggesting this is that the Ambush lines are designed to throw tips.

(*) Can also create a looped 4ft section of an older intermediate running line.  YMMV.

The best line for this rod is probably the older Airflo Beach Line in 9/10wt or 10/11wt.  Almost impossible to find.  There's also an 11/12 beach line that is too heavy for this rod.

Edited by Killiefish

I have not fished the rod but I have handled it briefly and it seems to me their rating is a spey rating, in the sense that it uses single handed lines 3 line weights heavier than what is labeled on the blank.

So this 9/10 opal would want 12/13wt single handed lines for THOH.

550 would be too much for me personally as I have a pretty hard quick stroke and tend to underline my rods, even single handed ones. 450 would be my starting point for that rod.

To the OP - if you want to make an 11' surf fly rod that can throw more grains overhead (up to around a 35' 630 grain head/tip) check out the 5 piece Diawa Ardito (medium) spinning rod solution.   PM me or search threads for how to cheaply convert it.  

The other advantages:  it's shorter and easier to pact for travel than the Beulah and you can use it for both fly and spin (lures up to 2-3 oz).  And this project will cost you only $10 more than a new $90 integrated line.

There are even cheaper 2 and 4 piece carp rods that can be converted but they will lack some of the advantages above.  5 piece rods need to be taped at ferrules especially the top two joins, IMO.  Solution is the same self stick tape I used to convert the rod.

2 hours ago, Killiefish said:

To the OP - if you want to make an 11' surf fly rod that can throw more grains overhead (up to around a 35' 630 grain head/tip) check out the 5 piece Diawa Ardito (medium) spinning rod solution.   PM me or search threads for how to cheaply convert it.  

The other advantages:  it's shorter and easier to pact for travel than the Beulah and you can use it for both fly and spin (lures up to 2-3 oz).  And this project will cost you only $10 more than a new $90 integrated line.

There are even cheaper 2 and 4 piece carp rods that can be converted but they will lack some of the advantages above.  5 piece rods need to be taped at ferrules especially the top two joins, IMO.  Solution is the same self stick tape I used to convert the rod.

4 hours ago, RedGreen said:

I have not fished the rod but I have handled it briefly and it seems to me their rating is a spey rating, in the sense that it uses single handed lines 3 line weights heavier than what is labeled on the blank.

So this 9/10 opal would want 12/13wt single handed lines for THOH.

550 would be too much for me personally as I have a pretty hard quick stroke and tend to underline my rods, even single handed ones. 450 would be my starting point for that rod.

Thank you both for your input.

I get 90' out (in perfect conditions, one roll cast, one cast) but the head piles up...I do not get complete ''unwrapping'' of the fly line...

Red, maybe you are right...I could be overlined...I need to have an experienced TH caster to try my kit...

Cheers

39 mins ago, snapper1 said:

Thank you both for your input.

I get 90' out (in perfect conditions, one roll cast, one cast) but the head piles up...I do not get complete ''unwrapping'' of the fly line...

Red, maybe you are right...I could be overlined...I need to have an experienced TH caster to try my kit...

Cheers

90ft is very good cast using less than 30ft line head and 11ft rod. However this seems to be line release timing issue! Try to see does the line loop run straight while it still goes on and then line piles when heavier rear continues to fly? The line loop run time on short line head does not last long and cast comes shorter but your casting force is good for longer cast. There might be some Tailing Loop which higher force the longer casts require can produce.

Releasing line bit earlier does not accelerate line loop too much. Also using at least two feet of overhang usually delays line loop run speed. You should also test longer line head if those two do not help. If you see TL you need to Drift more.

Edit: Now reading your post again I understood that your line loop does run all the way. Then releasing bit later gives the initial start to line loop run. Also braking shooting/running line in the end of line shoot accelerates line loop running straight. A fly which has relatively more weight than wind resistance can pull the line tip and leader in the end of cast. Perhaps not completely straight but farther than when light and bushy fly is used.

Esa

Edited by crunch

10 mins ago, crunch said:

90ft is very good cast using less than 30ft line head and 11ft rod. However this seems to be line release timing issue! Try to see does the line loop run straight while it still goes on and then line piles when heavier rear continues to fly? The line loop run time on short line head does not last long and cast comes shorter but your casting force is good for longer cast. There might be some Tailing Loop which hi,gh force on long casts produce. Releasing bit earlier does not accelerate line loop too much. Also using at least two feet of overhang usually delays line loop run speed. You should also test longer line head if those two do not help. If you see TL you need to Drift more.

Edit: Now reading your post again I understood that your line loop does run all the way. Then releasing bit later gives the initial start to line loop run. Also braking shooting/running line in the end of line shoot accelerates line loop running straight. A fly which has relatively more weight than wind resistance can pull the line tip and leader in the end of cast. Perhaps not completely straight but farther than when light and bushy fly is used.

Esa

Yes the line continues to fly as it is piling up...

Do you mean I should release earlier ?

What's overhang ? The running line ?

Thanx

When line loop has run straight the cast can't continue much longer. Tail wind can help and also a fly which is heavy.

If line loop runs straight too soon on a cast which is made longer using line shoot then there are few options. Longer line head. More overhang which is length of line between rod tip and beginning of the line head. This technically make line act longer but also when there comes less line loop effect to light line delaying line release does not "jerk" speed to line loop. Earlier release helps too but then some of the rod straightening speed does not transfer to the line.

Esa

12 hours ago, Killiefish said:

I have the older version of the 9/10 Beulah (same specs, slightly heavier materials and build).  Rio Outbound Short 12w or 11w both work fine.  They are 465g and 510g respectively.  I have tried using a Wulff Ambush 13wt line on it (550 grains and 30ft).  If I use the head alone it can handle it, but if I add a tip it overloads the rod when casting THOH.  The rod performs best for distance casting with around 450 to 480 grains.  An Outbound 12w short is about the maximum; although, Beulah recommends their 550g Serum line which is 40g heavier.

Your rod may be a bit faster but the older version rod is just as powerful.

I have the older 9/10 Beulah and I agree: the heaviest line that I felt comfortable using it with is Beulah's 500g Serum line.  I feel that the tip is softer than it could have been.

Good morning

This morning I went back from the Ambush WF12.5F to an Tropical OBS WF12F without tip, leader 6' of 40 mono, 6 inch EP anchovy.

Feels better, definitely not there yet. The Ambush is very ''ropy''...The Tropical OBS shoots better...

Overall, I'm starting to feel that I need longer heads...

I realize that it is much more difficult to cast a floating line than an intermediate....

I'm using a floating line because I want to use larger size poppers and surface flies...

Have a great day

^..^

Edited by snapper1

You could try finding the older Rio (non short) Outbound in 11wt or 12wt.  37.5ft heads, so a bit less clunky.  Depends on how you fish and where.  For steeper sloped beaches where wading is treacherous I stick to the OBS.  33 to 35 ft heads work better on a short THOH rod like the 11' Beulahs.  Can always keep 3-4 ft of the longer OB head inside the guides.  But adding a 5' tarpon polyleader or homemade intermediate line cheater to the 11wt OBS gets you near to the optimum performance - i.e. 34-35' at roughly 510g (465 + ~45g).  Turnover is quite good with medium sized baitfish flies up to maybe 2/0 or 3/0 if tied sparsely.   The tarpon polyleaders are hard to find now but they show up occasionally.  The 11wt OBS is more like a 13wt line in reality.

Can also look for a 13wt tarpon line but these are usually stiff lines (more for tropical heat).  Then again I don't know where you are fishing.  If you are not having trouble with the Rio OBS tropical maybe your local water temps are warm enough to use a standard 13wt tarpon line?

Edited by Killiefish

13 mins ago, Killiefish said:

You could try finding the older Rio (non short) Outbound in 11wt or 12wt.  37.5ft heads, so a bit less clunky.  Depends on how you fish and where.  For steeper sloped beaches where wading is treacherous I stick to the OBS.  33 to 34 ft heads work better on a short rod like the 11' Beulahs.  Can always keep 3-4 ft of the longer OB head inside the guides.  But adding a 5' tarpon polyleader or intermediate cheater to the 11wt OBS gets you near to the optimum performance - i.e. 34-35' at roughly 510g (465 + ~45g).  Turnover is quite good with medium sized baitfish flies up to maybe 2/0 or 3/0 if tied sparsely.   The tarpon polyleaders are hard to find now but they show up occasionally.  The 11wt OBS is more like a 13wt line in reality.

Can also look for a 13wt tarpon line but these are usually stiff lines (more for tropical heat).  Then again I don't know where you are fishing.  If you are not having trouble with the Rio OBS tropical maybe your local water temps are warm enough to use a standard 13wt tarpon line?

This morning I switched to a tropical OBS wf12f and it shot good...I'm in Quebec and will be fishing in New Brunswick next couple weeks......No tangling of flyline whatsoever...Doesn't even feel stiff... added a 10ft intermediate polyleader and it goes better.

Still...

I contacted Tight Lines in NJ and they recommand 560 grs for the rod...That is what they actually use...

I'm puzzled.

Edit. I need lessons.

Edited by snapper1

3 hours ago, snapper1 said:

This morning I switched to a tropical OBS wf12f and it shot good...I'm in Quebec and will be fishing in New Brunswick next couple weeks......No tangling of flyline whatsoever...Doesn't even feel stiff... added a 10ft intermediate polyleader and it goes better.

Still...

I contacted Tight Lines in NJ and they recommand 560 grs for the rod...That is what they actually use...

I'm puzzled.

Edit. I need lessons.

Don’t be. There will always be differences of view.

One good question to ask is did the preference come about as a result of time spent on a beach and not just a weekend or time spent dialing in over grass.

Line matching  to TH is just not the same as to spey Rods. Most Guys  Just don’t get it. But it has gotten to the stage that I feel like a parrot.

I have sent  you a PM.

Mike

Edited by Mike Oliver