tristate

Stop itch

Rate this topic

43 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, Steve_M said:

That’s  terrible. Sounds like she’s allergic to then. I would go to the Dr’s. I feel bad for her.

She actually has marks on her legs from mosquito bites from two summers ago. 

I've been using a Thermacell for a few years now..works great.. the bugs up here in NY, especially during spring turkey and early bow seasons are relentless..I was surprised how effective  it is in keeping away skeeters and other flying pests.. without the need to douse yourself in chemicals.. 

1 hour ago, Ted Pietz said:

Stinkin bugs!  My heart goes out to kids that suffer. 15% DEET is enough to keep them off but if sensitivity is an issue try Avon Skin So Soft which is a natural insect repellent but not as strong as DEET. Tom's may make a repellent but I'm not sure of that. They sell bug proof hoods and jackets too. Whatever it takes to get the kids to the shore and not let the bugs steal their life fun I'm for..

Mix SSS with original ( orange color) Listerine 50/50 ,,,,,,, it works and is not toxic.

J:wag:n

With mosquito, the more you get bit, the more your body get use to it.  Itching and swelling is the histamine from your own body. Not something from mosquito.  If you can ignore the initial itch and don't scratch it for about 30 minutes, the itch will go away on it's own and you'll probably forget it's there. Chiggers, gnats and green head are worst because their bite tear up your skin so it takes a long time to heal.

If you want instant relief, dap or spray on baking soda solution, ammonia ( windex ).  Don't scratch!

Posted (edited) · Report post

After bite for the itch works well for me.  I'm one of those bug attracting people - I've tried damn near everything and nothing works on green heads or black flies.  Most repellents will keep skeeters and no see ums away, for me at least.  Seems that different repellents work better for different people from my experience.  Anything with 100% deet is your best bet, but it also advises you not to apply directly to your skin - so I avoid it when on the beach and hope the breeze keeps them away.

When on the boat - light pants and light long sleeve shirt for me.  

We also bought one of those salt guns - musta killed 100 greenies last time out.  Sure they got me a few times but they suffered far more casualties.  

Edited by PhillyHillBilly

19 hours ago, Steve_M said:

I had chiggers I found a home remedy by taking Vicks vapor rub and mixing it with salt. I don’t know what it is but it sure helps rubbing it in.

Gasoline would feel good to that itchy pain.

22 hours ago, the3fishheads said:

The ones in the water. 2 kids died a week ago from infection they got swimming  just east of here. NO  joke. Dont want to gross u out with pics.

Can you share a source for the 2 kids?  Couldn’t find this on any news.  Hope you get better soon.

Could only find this. 

SUFFOLK COUNTY -

Residents are being advised to avoid the water at four popular Suffolk beaches due to unacceptable bacteria levels.

The Suffolk Health Department reports that there are unacceptable bacteria levels at Amityville Village Beach, Benjamins Beach in Bay Shore, Tanner Park Beach in Copiague and Lake Ronkonkoma-Islip Town Beach.

The health department says that the beaches will be reopened when tests show the levels of bacteria have dropped to acceptable levels.

I'll add you dont want to swim the surf line from we2 east 

Dont even want to put my foot in. Thinking about wearing gloves to handle and fish.

Thought I built up a good resistance after 55urs of salt. Theres some bad chit out there.

The rays look corroded. Nasty.

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 7/10/2019 at 9:57 PM, tristate said:

We Love the beach. My wife is super sensitive to bug bites. What do you use to neutralize the bug bites? What do you use to prevent them. Mosquitoes, flies, no serums? Thanks for any help. 

We use Picaradin from Sawyer,I think? Yellow spray bottle. Not harmful like DEET and seems to keep mosquitoes off.

Yup, just checked. Amazon has it made by Sawyer. That's what we've been using. 

BTW, we use Permethrin spray on all our fishing clothing-waders/hats/jackets. Keep bugs off plus ticks. Not for skin, just spray clothing, let it dry and you're set. Ticks just fall off if in contact with this stuff.

Dicks and AMZ sell the Picaridon. 

Edited by flysully

On 7/10/2019 at 10:13 PM, Steve_M said:

I had chiggers I found a home remedy by taking Vicks vapor rub and mixing it with salt. I don’t know what it is but it sure helps rubbing it in.

Thanks everyone for suggestions and concern. We have tried many over the counter remedies. We had not tried Vick’s. She tried it the other night and got itch relief with it, thanks. She didn’t use salt just Vick’s.  As fishtheeast suggested She has found Thermacell to work in cutting down the number of bites. Thanks to all for helping.

Avon’s skin so soft or Avon’s bug guard plus off sucks keep that o. The shelf you won’t want another bug repel after you try avon’s it’s definitely one of the best. And mosquitoes hate it. :howdy: