tristate

Stop itch

Rate this topic

43 posts in this topic

We Love the beach. My wife is super sensitive to bug bites. What do you use to neutralize the bug bites? What do you use to prevent them. Mosquitoes, flies, no serums? Thanks for any help. 

13 mins ago, tristate said:

We Love the beach. My wife is super sensitive to bug bites. What do you use to neutralize the bug bites? What do you use to prevent them. Mosquitoes, flies, no serums? Thanks for any help. 

I had chiggers I found a home remedy by taking Vicks vapor rub and mixing it with salt. I don’t know what it is but it sure helps rubbing it in.

My mosquito bites go away in a day. My wife’s stay for about two years. No kidding. They itch forever and mark for two years. If you have a solution for either...

1 min ago, Paul E said:

My mosquito bites go away in a day. My wife’s stay for about two years. No kidding. They itch forever and mark for two years. If you have a solution for either...

That’s  terrible. Sounds like she’s allergic to then. I would go to the Dr’s. I feel bad for her.

Forget the bugs. The water is polluted with deadly bacteria.

Mosquitos are the last thing to worry about.

I'm on anti biotecs to kill a bad infection I picked up at Jones after going in up to my knees.

5 mins ago, the3fishheads said:

Forget the bugs. The water is polluted with deadly bacteria.

Mosquitos are the last thing to worry about.

I'm on anti biotecs to kill a bad infection I picked up at Jones after going in up to my knees.

What? What bacteria?

1 min ago, Fishy4335 said:

What? What bacteria?

The ones in the water. 2 kids died a week ago from infection they got swimming  just east of here. NO  joke. Dont want to gross u out with pics.

46 mins ago, Paul E said:

I’m like you. While my wife isn’t as bad as yours she itches for weeks and takes long to heal. Hope someone has an idea that gives them relief.

I live in Maine and we have black flies that bite in Spring and midgees (no-see-ums) too. Our state bird is the mosquito. 

We find relief by using witch hazel applied with a paper towel or by hand to relieve itch... Also,I use After Bite to apply to a very itchy bite. For me it sometimes takes a few dabs. It smells like ammonia.

Apply the least strong DEET Deep Woods OFF to my hat, cuffs and lightly to exposed skin. You do not need 100% DEET.

Try to feel the bug and swat it before it bites you. 

Good luck,

Ted

7 hours ago, Ted Pietz said:

I live in Maine and we have black flies that bite in Spring and midgees (no-see-ums) too. Our state bird is the mosquito. 

We find relief by using witch hazel applied with a paper towel or by hand to relieve itch... Also,I use After Bite to apply to a very itchy bite. For me it sometimes takes a few dabs. It smells like ammonia.

Apply the least strong DEET Deep Woods OFF to my hat, cuffs and lightly to exposed skin. You do not need 100% DEET.

Try to feel the bug and swat it before it bites you. 

Good luck,

Ted

I'm from Maine as well and I find your state bird comment absolutely hysterical. 

1 hour ago, Jturnbull said:

I'm from Maine as well and I find your state bird comment absolutely hysterical. 

Skeets can be wicked.

Nice tuna bud, $$ fish. 

Keep her into the wind,

Ted 

My wife and youngest son are very sensitive, more so the boy.  His mosquito bites can last days and days and the entire area will swell.  We use alcohol then benadryl cream for the itch.  He also has a prescription antibiotic ointment that helps speed up healing time.  

We're just about into peek "green head" season here on the MA South Shore.  If he gets one of those it can be rough for a while.  Makes beach trips just about impossible until they're life cycle ends/slows in August.  Benadryl cream helps here too.

Stinkin bugs!  My heart goes out to kids that suffer. 15% DEET is enough to keep them off but if sensitivity is an issue try Avon Skin So Soft which is a natural insect repellent but not as strong as DEET. Tom's may make a repellent but I'm not sure of that. They sell bug proof hoods and jackets too. Whatever it takes to get the kids to the shore and not let the bugs steal their life fun I'm for..

Eagle Brand Medicated oil. Helps with the itch, has a menthol smell like vicks. It makes your skin warm and keeps the mosquito away.  You can find it in your Asian grocery store or online. I cover myself with the stuff when the bugs are thick. Good luck!