i07nyc

Battle of the 80's supercars

Rate this topic

75 posts in this topic

Just got home popped the tv on and went to heat up dinner. Tv is tuned to battle of the 80s supercars. Fine ill bite. Anyone else watching this? Is it me or are the camera footage of the races severly sped up?

It was the stupidest thing I've seen in a while. I caught it about 45 min in. If it was the beginning, I would have changed the channel asap.

33 mins ago, MakoMike said:

There were no 80s supercars.

Not by today's standards.  But, compared to other cars of the 1980s, a Lamborghini Countach, Porsche 959 or Ferrari Testarossa were pretty super.

Wrong type of supercars. This was David hasselhoff racing kitt vs Eric Estrada on the chip bike vs dirk benedict in the a team van.

Posted (edited) · Report post

34 mins ago, Mummichog said:

Not by today's standards.  But, compared to other cars of the 1980s, a Lamborghini Countach, Porsche 959 or Ferrari Testarossa were pretty super.

80s domestic muscle cars were saddled with afterthought emission controls,low compression,retarded cam timing turds of engines...very few vehicles of note,Buick Grand National 231 V6 Turbo @ 220 hp. GNX version @ 35 hp more. These cars were scourge of drag strips,street racing. Popular enough,go fast hop up parts were developed to double hp/tq easily. Never knew when you lined up with one what was done under the hood. Occasionally you could hear a bigger turbo spooling up,by then too late,lol.

Remember Chevy Monza with a V8 engine? @128 hp.

Mustang Ghia GT,5.0L @ 132 hp

Trucks not much better,my 84 ramcharger had a whopping 146 hp from a 5.2L engine

King of the hill Chevy Corvette,190 hp! Used to eff with owners of these with my 1st gen Rx7. Hp/weight ratio way better.  Pissed many off,too bad,so sad,lol.

Edited by modelcitizen

Posted (edited) · Report post

23 mins ago, Sandflee said:

80's like what a dodge daytona

Fail

great cars died in 1971

Chrysler K cars were super. Just ask Lee Iacocca, who just died yesterday. 

Maybe be we can send Belmo after him. 

Edited by Wayne Tj

21 mins ago, Sandflee said:

80's like what a dodge daytona

Fail

great cars died in 1971

I had a 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby.  2.2 liter, intercooled turbo.  175hp and 200 torque.  2700 pounds and 5 speed stick.  Quick for back then.  0-60 was 6.9 seconds and 1/4 mile in 14.9 seconds at 96 mph.  The 225hp Mustang was only a hair quicker and the Z28 of that year was about the same.

wonder what that car would look like if made today.  Probably like a Ford Focus RS with 350hp.

I have  Mustang GT with the coyote engine putting out 435hp ans 6-speed stick.  I wonder what cars of the 1980s could hang with it.  Even the modified Grand Nationals had a clunky 4-speed auto for a transmission.

1 hour ago, bospa357 said:

In general, cars and trucks of the late 70's and 80's really sucked. They were all dogs and even build quality was some of the worst produced.

The 79 Ramcharger 4x4 was a good one, kinda .

2 mins ago, bospa357 said:

There were a couple somewhat decent picks, but overall a very bad era.

Those chopped in half Caddys, 81 to 83 or so were some of the worst of all time. I cant remember the model