ChewyBrigantine

New Jersey trigger fish tactics

Rate this topic

43 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Eric_S said:

First time trying this year. Morning was slow just a couple. Afternoon was lights out. Swarming behind the boat. All on squid. Took our sinkers off and just flipped our weightless rigs out and dozens would come up and nip at the baits. You just had to look down and watch when a fish ate the bait then set the hook. Most of the time you never felt the hit. Left them biting. Fun day.

IMG_4370 (2).JPG

Damn that's a haul man. Taste great it was my first time trying. Very firm meat not fishy at all. I'm assuming you were in a back bay? 

1 hour ago, ChewyBrigantine said:

Damn that's a haul man. Taste great it was my first time trying. Very firm meat not fishy at all. I'm assuming you were in a back bay? 

Fish tacos :th:

20 hours ago, Eric_S said:

First time trying this year. Morning was slow just a couple. Afternoon was lights out. Swarming behind the boat. All on squid. Took our sinkers off and just flipped our weightless rigs out and dozens would come up and nip at the baits. You just had to look down and watch when a fish ate the bait then set the hook. Most of the time you never felt the hit. Left them biting. Fun day.

IMG_4370 (2).JPG

So it looks like no more invitation for me? Ok that’s cool 

No need to remove the skin. Learned the best way to cook them a few weeks back in the bahamas. Gut it, trim the fins, season it up, and wrap it in foil. Put your gas grill on lowest setting. Place foil packet directly over flame and close lid. 20-30 minutes per side (maybe even shorter for the Atlantic triggers as they look a little smaller). Open the foil and the skin lifts right off (fillets do too). Also gives you easy access to the best piece of meat in the whole fish. The cheek!

IMG-2775.JPG.26780b5c892a6e370796960dfd41b58d.JPGIMG-5121.JPG.d0051d76a7b6d93559daeea04afd1619.JPG5d2f5708d79fb_IMG-5124(1).JPG.08ab14a3114929bc421a527839ba478a.JPG